Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
My question is not whether or not children are green or not, it's why people who claim to be stewards of the earth are not stepping up as foster and adoptive parents and helping to care for the children that are already existing on this planet?!
Because that would mean I'd still have to deal with children, which is like my worst nightmare. I plan to have no children, but not for environmental reasons. I just don't like children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
if not having children is green, more green might involve adopting a child from an overpopulated china. just a thought.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:28 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
It's part of why I am not having more children, but not the whole reason.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVivant View Post
A while back, I read this on a website (am looking for the link) that one of the top 10 ways to be green is to have fewer kids, better yet, to choose to not have kids! I don't know what to think. I see the point of less waste, etc. It sounds nice and practical on the surface. But in reality, having a child is an emotional decision. Isn't it?
I'd love to hear what you all think. Would you choose to have fewer children, or not have any just because it is GREEN thing to do?
Ofcourse hind sight is 20/20, but I would start sooner and have more.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:31 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
10 unrelated individuals have 10 sets of everything: 10 houses, 10 closets of clothes that get discarded over time, 10 TVs, 10 fridges, 10 cars, 10 PlayStations, 10 power bills, etc.

10 people in the same family use up drastically less resources. I think this way is greener.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
if not having children is green, more green might involve adopting a child from an overpopulated china. just a thought.
China has all but stopped adoption from that country now. I have some friends that are caught in the middle of it...they have too much invested to back out, and yet are still well down on the list.

Note: My parents adopted 6 children (3 biological children/ 6 adopted from foster care)

Old 04-14-2009, 02:00 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Because that would mean I'd still have to deal with children, which is like my worst nightmare. I plan to have no children, but not for environmental reasons. I just don't like children.
Just tell people what I used to tell people before I had kids...

"I love children. Slice them real thin, dip them in mint jelly and they taste just like Lamb..." It is totally un-politically correct, but funny nonetheless and doesn't give them anywhere to go with the conversation.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Well, I'm childfree, have been hanging out on the CF boards since ~1996, and been involved in this kind of discussion many times. Not adding to an already overburdened planet is a self-congratulatory gesture CFs make to themselves, but it's very-very rarely a reason to not have kids.

The choice to not have children is made primarily for reasons of personal concern, not how it affects other people or the whole planet.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Just tell people what I used to tell people before I had kids...

"I love children. Slice them real thin, dip them in mint jelly and they taste just like Lamb..." It is totally un-politically correct, but funny nonetheless and doesn't give them anywhere to go with the conversation.
Hah! I have a feeling an awkward silence would follow.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:24 AM

267 posts, read 1,176,517 times
Quote:
My question is not whether or not children are green or not, it's why people who claim to be stewards of the earth are not stepping up as foster and adoptive parents and helping to care for the children that are already existing on this planet?!
Excellent question! I often wonder that too.

And then there's another kind- I know some folks who can't have children, yet balk at the thought of adopting! That's really sad. If you want children, and can't have, why not enrich the life of one that is already there and needs love and a home!

And I certainly don't get the folks who have kids then abandon them (to die) right after birth. Every few days there is some such news on tv. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living