Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:46 AM

517 posts, read 2,489,128 times

Advertisements

I'm a high school teacher and my students are obsessed with the end of the world, but most of them are not concerned with global warming per se. There is some current theory that the world will end in 2012 which has to do with the ancient Mayan calendar. To me, its similar to the Y2K scare. Children are often interested in theories about the end of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 01:24 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,710,532 times
It is difficult for me to envision anyone who lives in a McMansion as being "green." The only green these people really know is money and they don't care how they spend it. These are the people to tell the masses to conserve while they splurge energy and resources. Many of their lawns require more electric, water, and produce more toxins than the average family. Why point a finger at Al Gore while the rich and wealthy are gorging themselves on energy?

Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,376,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
This study really doesn't tell us whether the children's concerns are a result of increased media focus on global warming and the environment. This was done at a single point in time, it is entirely possible that children have been afraid of these things even before the environmental movement.

Nor does it speak to the core issue of whether or not the fears are justified.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:42 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,799,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
It is difficult for me to envision anyone who lives in a McMansion as being "green." The only green these people really know is money and they don't care how they spend it. These are the people to tell the masses to conserve while they splurge energy and resources. Many of their lawns require more electric, water, and produce more toxins than the average family. Why point a finger at Al Gore while the rich and wealthy are gorging themselves on energy?
Al Gore would have been one of the best presidents we would have ever had. We would be so much better off than with the utter fool we had the last 8 years.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:33 PM

26,479 posts, read 46,791,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I want you to compare Bush's house on his Crawford Ranch to Gore's house in Nashville.

Come back and tell us all who is LIVING green, and who is making millions of dollars TALKING about living green.
I could care less what Gore or Bush does personally. It HELPS to have an administration who actually does care about public health and the environment over the big energy companies and polluters. I live fairly self-sufficiently in a cabin in the woods and selectively cut wood off my land for heat. I grow a lot of my own food during the growing season and belong to a CSA.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,925,459 times
The only thing the kids have to worry about is will the world end during their lifetime. It might, as the solar system has not run out of asteroids, but it is not likely.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:34 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,946,918 times
Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believel

Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe - USATODAY.com

Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,846,516 times
Al Gore is one of the biggest liars and doomsday mongers of our time. The guy is also THE biggest hippocrit I know. He sure dosn't practice what he preaches. It would be to hard for him to live like he wants the rest of the world live.
He also is part owner in some of the most lucritave green businesses going today. Wheather they are true businesses or NOT!
I will be very glad to see the history books show this man as one of histories best examples of a Snake Oil Salesman.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:20 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,080,613 times
It makes perfect sense though, all the kids who were growing up with hippie parents are coming into their careers and having kids...green and environmental are the buzzwords of the moment, the wave is cresting. Might as well try and make some money and a name at the "in" thing.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,617,119 times
not only that but he told them that there is no santa clause
why is it every american france loves we hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living