Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:21 PM

466 posts, read 928,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post

That's one man's OPINION !

Last edited by vec101; 05-18-2009 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Sorry that doesn't answer the question. The OP asked a specific question about Mercury exposure when the bulb is broken inside the home. You're providing a comparison of coal plant emissions and condemning the coal plants for it and then went on to berate him for being so foolish for asking such a question.

You've even suggested and I quote:

Quote:
Breaking a CFL in you house is about as dangerous as farting without opening the window.
So what I'm asking since you're trying to be so helpful here and let the OP know how dangerous coal plants emissions are and how little the exposure from a CFL broken in the house is what are you basing that assertion on?

As I see it you're asserting a coal plant will cause more exposure to mercury than breaking one of these bulbs inside a home.

Justify that assertion Moderator cut: No insults ?

Last edited by vec101; 05-18-2009 at 06:39 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 04:05 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
It's more mercury in there then in a vaccine, why isn't the autism crowd up in arms about it?

Old 05-17-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's more mercury in there then in a vaccine, why isn't the autism crowd up in arms about it?
They are ! !

for starters

http://tr.youtube.com/watch?v=GYIgdt...E84CA&index=81

Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
If you're concerned about mercury, also count the LCD flat screens on laptop computers, HD LCD TVs and desktop monitors. Don't forget the tube style fluoro bulbs, which have significantly more of the Hg.

I've broken a CFL and don't remember any mercury rolling out.

BTW I've had all of mine last a few years now. One is pushing 5 years, and has been on 12 hours a day.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
All CFL's and flourescent light fixtures have been removed from my house.

I have laid in enough incandescent light bulbs to last me years.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
If you're concerned about mercury, also count the LCD flat screens on laptop computers, HD LCD TVs and desktop monitors. Don't forget the tube style fluoro bulbs, which have significantly more of the Hg.

I've broken a CFL and don't remember any mercury rolling out.

BTW I've had all of mine last a few years now. One is pushing 5 years, and has been on 12 hours a day.

Mercury toxicity causes memory loss.

You wouldn't "see" it "rolling out"

Most people have no idea they have mercury poisoning. The doctors just write off the onset of thier dementia as "old age".

Good luck to all that don't understand or don't believe in the dangers of mercury.

I had mercury poisoning ten years ago. The doctors couldn't figure it out. I cured myself with herbs and supplements.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
Most people with mercury poisoning have no idea why they have A.D.D. or even worse, dementia. I have a suspision that more posters here that think mercury is not a problem should be tested. Just my opinion .
I don't deny that as a possibility. However, I see no way that such a condition could have been brought about by broken CFL lamps. I DO think that it could be plausible from other more potent sources of contamination.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I don't deny that as a possibility. However, I see no way that such a condition could have been brought about by broken CFL lamps. I DO think that it could be plausible from other more potent sources of contamination.
If you broke all the florescent light bulbs in you house and left all the waste on the floor, you'd get less mercury than you get from eating one can of tuna fish or a swordfish steak.

You might get a nasty cut from stepping on the glass.

As previously posted, you get more mercury exposure from the coal burned to light the incandescent bulbs than what is in the CFLs.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 AM

The mercury found in tuna is Methyl-Mercury and is much more dangerous than the organic mercury that is in bulbs. The fact still remains that exposure to mercury whether it is organic or methyl WILL cause very serious health problems that may never be attributed to mercury exposure, thus untreated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living