Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM

278 posts, read 1,002,271 times

Advertisements

Where can I find non-hybrid seeds?

Anyone have any info on underground houses? We want to buy/build our own. We like the idea of less impact on environment for controling temp in the house.. plus easy mantainance. I've seen a few house books online but wanted an insiders opinion/advice.

Still searching for the best place to buy/ build and go off-grid but still need to be close to a thriving city for work (granted I understand there isnt many cities in the US that are thriving right now).. We've been looking into Idaho and NW Arkansas so far.

Any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:10 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,400,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post

Anyone have any info on underground houses? We want to buy/build our own. We like the idea of less impact on environment for controling temp in the house.. plus easy mantainance. I've seen a few house books online but wanted an insiders opinion/advice.

Still searching for the best place to buy/ build and go off-grid but still need to be close to a thriving city for work (granted I understand there isnt many cities in the US that are thriving right now).. We've been looking into Idaho and NW Arkansas so far.

Any advice??
Native Seeds/SEARCH

This company has some very good ancient and antique varieties. They've colected most of them from the Native americans, but also many of the antique varieties as well. I believe they are out of Arizona. I remember traveling through Patagonia down near the border and wanting to see their research farm, but i never got the chance. Anyway I lived in California and ordered for my own use and success was excellent.

Native Seeds \ SEARCH | www.nativeseeds.org

Here's another link to Heirloom Seeds Non-Hybreds
http://www.heirloomseeds.com/

Here's another for Rare Seeds
http://rareseeds.com/

Though you were looking simply for seeds, I've also bought many antique apple varieties from this company out of northern California. I know they are up in Healdsburg, California, maybe somewhere near sebastopol. But I can't find their website. But their name is Sonoma Antique Apple Orchard
http://www.treesofantiquity.com/

Here are my absolutely two flavourite varieties. First is Arkansas Blacks and the second is a Stayman Winesap. Both long keepers, especially the Arkansas Blacks. Mine always lasted in cool storage until the following June. Very rock hard apple when first picked and gradually softens and gains flavour with age.

Last edited by bluepacific; 06-02-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times
Quote:

Anyone have any info on underground houses? We want to buy/build our own. We like the idea of less impact on environment for controlling temp in the house.. plus easy mantainance. I've seen a few house books online but wanted an insiders opinion/advice.

Any advice??
When you say off grid do you mean you are doing solar or wind? Or are you actually giving up on having any electric? My DH and I thought about going underground but we decided against it in case we ever needed access to our roof. So we built a berm off grid home. We run on solar and wind. What kind if material are you using to build your home? We used all poured concrete.

We live in the mountains of East TN which we think is beautiful, not too cold in the winters and not too hot in the summer. There are also no building codes in my county and the taxes are very low. We have 40 acres and pay $112.00 per year. Jobs can be a problem here.

If you want to see our story and what we did you can read it and see many pictures at:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html

We bought our land a year ago and built our own sanctuary. We are still working on it. My DH is actually moving and re designing our whole solar system this week.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:36 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,691,842 times
Quote:
1. Where can I find non-hybrid seeds?

2. Anyone have any info on underground houses? We want to buy/build our own. We like the idea of less impact on environment for controling temp in the house.. plus easy mantainance. I've seen a few house books online but wanted an insiders opinion/advice.

3. Still searching for the best place to buy/ build and go off-grid but still need to be close to a thriving city for work (granted I understand there isnt many cities in the US that are thriving right now).. We've been looking into Idaho and NW Arkansas so far.

Any advice??
1. HEIRLOOM SEEDS - over 1100 varieties of non-hybrid seeds including heirloom vegetable seeds, heirloom flower seeds and heirloom herb seeds.

2. I don't know how financially efficient those houses actually are. We had neighbors who built one, and they openly admitted that for the extra money they spent to go underground, they could easily have paid any heat bill for the rest of their lives. Plus, there are now so many excellent energy efficient building materials that you can have an extremely efficient "traditional" house, if that's what appeals to you.

3. The Omaha area might not be a bad choice. The economy here is good. Within 30-45 minutes of here there are a lot of rural areas where there isn't much going on. On the other hand, if you have to commute a long ways to work, that kind of defeats the point of the off-grid efficiency quest.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

2. I don't know how financially efficient those houses actually are. We had neighbors who built one, and they openly admitted that for the extra money they spent to go underground, they could easily have paid any heat bill for the rest of their lives. Plus, there are now so many excellent energy efficient building materials that you can have an extremely efficient "traditional" house, if that's what appeals to you.
It all depends if they are also going off grid and their reason for going underground. My Dh and I built our own off grid home because it was something we never did before and we like change. We have a berm concrete home and we run on solar power. Our house during the winter stays between 58 and 62 degrees even when it is zero outside. We used close cell spray foam insulation and we have no drafts or leaks in our house. I can't think of better efficiency than that. We are also protected from any high winds. We don't need any a/c in the summer because we stay very cool. And of course there is no electric bill and our system didn't cost too much because we didn't buy into the bunk that the companies try to sell. My DH also designed our own system.

To build our whole house it cost less than some people pay for a kitchen remodel. As with everything in life it is all relative. If people think you are going to be "efficient" and have a house that is over 3000 sq. ft. they are wrong. You will just be more efficient than another 3000 sq ft house on your block. Big deal. The biggest lesson in being energy efficient is "moderation" and "conservation."

Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
Google Earthship houses and Lister CS Diesel engines.

Last edited by GregW; 06-03-2009 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
When you say off grid do you mean you are doing solar or wind? Or are you actually giving up on having any electric? My DH and I thought about going underground but we decided against it in case we ever needed access to our roof. So we built a berm off grid home. We run on solar and wind. What kind if material are you using to build your home? We used all poured concrete.

We live in the mountains of East TN which we think is beautiful, not too cold in the winters and not too hot in the summer. There are also no building codes in my county and the taxes are very low. We have 40 acres and pay $112.00 per year. Jobs can be a problem here.

If you want to see our story and what we did you can read it and see many pictures at:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html

We bought our land a year ago and built our own sanctuary. We are still working on it. My DH is actually moving and re designing our whole solar system this week.
WOW!! Sounds great! We really like the subterrian (sp?) homes. It would be poured concrete. My DH is a concrete/stone mason so we'd like to do it ourself. I like the idea of being underground to keep our heating/ cooling expenses down. I have an issue in heat and humity so being underground would be easier for me. We plan to have electric with wind/solar back up. I wouldnt mind using only wind/solar but still need internet and stuff. We were looking into Asheville NC area (not far from your area maybe) but it was expensive plus still hot/humid in the summer. I have a friend in Athens, TN (north of Chattanooga off 75) who loves it there. His home is all off grid, one room home. Totally lives off the land.
I'll watch your story when I get some free time Thanks!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:13 AM

We looked into Earthships but want underground. Our reasons are not only the heating/cooling aspects but also for privacy,less outside maintance, more outside space (can garden on your roof),safety...the list goes on and on...

I will look into those seeds. Thanks!! Once we get to where we are going to build I can check out those apple trees. Right now I have one apple tree, one pear tree and many different kinds of berries and a huge garden.

As far as where??? We have looked into Asheville (but too expensive), NW Arkansas, Idaho and Tennesse areas. We have family in Kansas and Florida and would prefer to stay within a days driving time but Idaho seems VERY appealing to me We also want to be with other like minded individuals too.. We dont want to be seen as outsiders since we choose to live off the land instead of in suburbia. Is there such a place?
Thanks!!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
When I was growing up in the late neolithic several families near us just built a walk-out basement and waterproofed the first floor until they could save enough money to build the rest of the house. Adopting zoning rules put a stop to the cheapskates.

Look up books on earthen and/or owner built houses in the library or on Amazon.

I would consider using precast insulated concrete walls set on a well drained gravel base with in floor heat cast into the basement floor. Then have an engineer (this is a GOOD use of money) design a roof capable of being covered with a few feet of well drained dirt. Grow grass in top. The heat would be provided by a Diesel engine driven generator.

When you get done you will have your very own custom built cave.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When I was growing up in the late neolithic several families near us just built a walk-out basement and waterproofed the first floor until they could save enough money to build the rest of the house. Adopting zoning rules put a stop to the cheapskates.

Look up books on earthen and/or owner built houses in the library or on Amazon.

I would consider using precast insulated concrete walls set on a well drained gravel base with in floor heat cast into the basement floor. Then have an engineer (this is a GOOD use of money) design a roof capable of being covered with a few feet of well drained dirt. Grow grass in top. The heat would be provided by a Diesel engine driven generator.

When you get done you will have your very own custom built cave.
It would be thru a contractor
A cave?... I like it Sounds perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living