Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

Advertisements

OK I know this is anecdotal and I don't have it in writeing but I was at a meeting yesterday with VP's from several very large utilities and transmission system operators,, They predict widespread grid collapse by 2012. No one is being allowed to install enough dependable generation to support current loads much less future growth. This mean that utilitys (like the one I work for) will continue to operate old dirty power plants instead of replaceing them with new clean burn technology
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Yeah, just wait til we start plugging in the 1 million plug-in electric cars Obama wants!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,929,715 times
What is the relationship between old dirty power plants and replacement with clearer sources relative to the grid? Is it the location of the newer plants to the grid.
I know the TB Pickens said that the only thing he needed from the feds was the easements for the transmission lines.
A friend of mine that worked with Potomac Edison keeps saying that the issue that everyone overlooks is the power grid.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
What is the relationship between old dirty power plants and replacement with clearer sources relative to the grid? Is it the location of the newer plants to the grid.
I know the TB Pickens said that the only thing he needed from the feds was the easements for the transmission lines.
A friend of mine that worked with Potomac Edison keeps saying that the issue that everyone overlooks is the power grid.
In order to replace\install generation one must get "approval" from the grid controller, to doe this an"interconnect study" has to be completed (at great expense)that shows the affect you generation will have on the grid. for example, starting a generator in plant A will add line load at point A and unload it at point B (100's of miles away) should the line not be able to carry these fluctations your project will have to include the cost to upgrade those lines. I actually have a real time real life example of this. Here in Minnesota the group controlling the Grid is called MISO (Midwest Independent System Operator) We recently applied to them to add a 50 MW Waste to Energy (renewable) powerplant which would replace 27MW steam plant (Installed in the late 40's) After dropping 25k for the interconnect study the project was denied unless we shoulder the 25MILLION cost to repair\replace line on the other side of the state.
Everyone thinks it's so easy to put this stuff in............ It's not

Old 08-14-2008, 11:18 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,929,715 times
Thanks for helping me understand, my first thought the problem would be easements and issues with eminent domain.
Not that I'm for government involvement, but do the states have power to intercede/arbitrate contract differences between generation and grid. I confess I'm ignorant on the issues regarding de-regulation of the utilities, but aren't power companies and infrastructure somewhat of a monopoly? Since clean domestic power is in the states and the countries best interest shouldn't there be (god it even hurts to ask this) government oversight to expedite the process?

Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
I get a kick (I'm one sick puppy) out of how things work. You can't build the plant because you can't afford the 25 mil. Eventually you will be unable to supply sufficient power to the area and/or the grid will go to pot.

At that time the Feds will likely step in and raise Cain about it. Well, duh. If they had any foresight (yeah, right) the problems would get resolved now. Dumping the cost of upgrading/replacing the grid on a single company is stupid. At least make low interest loans available that you could reasonably pay off. If the Feds gave you as big a break as they do the oil companies you could replace the entire grid in MN and still make a profit!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
Thanks for helping me understand, my first thought the problem would be easements and issues with eminent domain.
Not that I'm for government involvement, but do the states have power to intercede/arbitrate contract differences between generation and grid. I confess I'm ignorant on the issues regarding de-regulation of the utilities, but aren't power companies and infrastructure somewhat of a monopoly? Since clean domestic power is in the states and the countries best interest shouldn't there be (god it even hurts to ask this) government oversight to expedite the process?
That a whole different problem! We're actually condeming a guy because he wants us to pay him 70k for an OVERHANG easement! Doesen't even touch his land, one of the crossarms goes over the property line. He didn't like the 5600 bucks we offered him (his neighbors took it no problem) As for deregulation???? The power companys were\are self regulating. I have always worked in the Municipal utility industry (since I got out of the service) We are really considered not for profit organizations. But we still habe to make enough money to maintain infrastructure and provide energy to our communities...........California had a rude awakening a few years ago when they deruglated the energy market out there. Power went to 3k per MW bad juju man!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I get a kick (I'm one sick puppy) out of how things work. You can't build the plant because you can't afford the 25 mil. Eventually you will be unable to supply sufficient power to the area and/or the grid will go to pot.

At that time the Feds will likely step in and raise Cain about it. Well, duh. If they had any foresight (yeah, right) the problems would get resolved now. Dumping the cost of upgrading/replacing the grid on a single company is stupid. At least make low interest loans available that you could reasonably pay off. If the Feds gave you as big a break as they do the oil companies you could replace the entire grid in MN and still make a profit!
It's not only that! MN has a renewable energy mandate. We have to have renewable resources. Friggen ridiculious one goverment entity says do this the says you can't................

Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,968 times
i believe there is also an article in today's New York Times on the subject of "the grid" and it's inability to handle future loads...worth a read.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,594 times
2012 !! , there goes that # again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living