Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 08:02 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times

Advertisements

Anyone have personal experience with this? I am looking into this to send electric power back into the power lines to have (hopefully)a postive impact on lowering our electric bill. I would like to run it off one or two small windmills.
I don't want to mess with a bunch of batteries to harness it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Are you talking about wind generators that are tied into the grid, so that if more electricity is created than you use, you sell it to the power company?

Federal law requires utility companies to allow consumers to install these generators.

However, I believe the main obstacle is cost. From what I've studied, most residential wind generators - by the time they're fully installed - are going to run $15,000 - $25,000. That's a lot of money! And when I consider the fact that I pay only about $100 per month for electricity, I'd have to have a wind generator in operation for nearly 15 years before it'd begin to pay net dividends.

Despite looking for them, I cannot remember seeing more than 2-3 residential wind generators. Ever. I think there's a reason for that.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:13 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Anyone have personal experience with this? I am looking into this to send electric power back into the power lines to have (hopefully)a postive impact on lowering our electric bill. I would like to run it off one or two small windmills.
I don't want to mess with a bunch of batteries to harness it.
Sure. If you are not concerned about having power in the loss of Grid power, there is no need for batteries.

To Grid Tie any inverter -- whether Solar or Wind -- it needs to be rated to able to automatically disconnect from the Grid in the event of a loss of Grid power. This feature is required by the Grid operators so that power is not back-fed onto linemen who may be doing repairs.

There are specific IEEE and UL standards for that, but generally any UL listed inverter has that feature.

As far as your specific application, the methods will vary by your local utility. Some offer Net Metering -- where power you provide cancels out the power you consume from the Gird, and they credit your bill down to zero use. (There is usually still at least meter/connection fee). Other utilities do what is called "avoided cost," where you buy their power at retail and they buy from you at their wholesale cost. (usually around 1/3 of retail).

Check with your Electric Provider about how they do business and we can discuss details about equipment choices. Where about are you located? Asking because of Wind Maps.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:20 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
Hey thanks for the info. I will research it alot more. Right now I will get my garage off grid and batteried up and play around. I just got it built, a 30 by 50 footer.
I am in middle wyoming and sitting between two wind farms as the wind blows,ha,ha.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:45 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Hey thanks for the info. I will research it alot more. Right now I will get my garage off grid and batteried up and play around. I just got it built, a 30 by 50 footer.
I am in middle wyoming and sitting between two wind farms as the wind blows,ha,ha.
Sounds like you're onto something good!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:55 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Oh yeah. Have been through that area during a May Blizzard. At least it was a Blizzard by Texas standards. You have some serious Wind to work with, and have watched some of your local Big Wind tower really cranking it out.

If you like D.I.Y. at all, maybe check this site below. They do full Build It Yourself for Wind all the way from the Blades to the Generator, Tower and Wiring and Batteries, and help other folks do the same >>>

Fieldlines.com || Make your electricity from scratch!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:34 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
You should call your local utility/co-op. They will be able to guide you. Don't spend any serious money without making sure what you purchase meets their interconnection standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living