Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,878,849 times

Advertisements

One hill over and we'd be off-grid, but not by choice.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:38 AM

4 posts, read 12,345 times
I purchase products online from a company thats ecofriendly in every sense of the word. Even down to using recycled materials for shipping. I dont have to go to the grocery store except for meats, veggies, and/or dairy and such but I live across the street from the store so I walk. My SO also has a recycling business which we are also clients of.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:38 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,240,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I buy green electricity and use public transportation extensively. We support Community Agriculture as much as possible. I'm installing rain barrels to reduce runoff and have weatherized my 80 year old house.

None of it really crimps our lifestyle.

-----"I buy green electricity"

Does your electricity come to your place through separate green power lines or does it come to your place thru the same power lines as your neighbor ?

" green electricity" is a scam Al Gore invented ( besides the internet)

Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,759,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-----"I buy green electricity"

Does your electricity come to your place through separate green power lines or does it come to your place thru the same power lines as your neighbor ?

" green electricity" is a scam Al Gore invented ( besides the internet)
He lives in DC and thinks because he may particapate in a green energy program he has been garenteed his electricity come directly from a wind tower... Here is some more accurate data on DC's power suppliers and thier green programs.

SOS - Pepco

What power plant is my electricity coming from?
It’s hard to say. Four suppliers won a percentage share of the SOS load during this year’s competitive bid process, and a total of seven suppliers serve all of the SOS load. The suppliers buy and trade the energy in the PJM marketplace so tracking its origin is difficult. The bid process simply ensures that we’ll get the needed reliable and competitive supply of electricity for delivery to our customers.
DDOE: DC MAP (http://ddoe.dc.gov/ddoe/cwp/view,a,1209,q,498333.asp - broken link)
District of Columbia electricity ratepayers have had the option to choose their electricity supplier since 2000. Pepco is the electricity distribution company for the DC, and is required to provide default electric service including electric supply through Standard Offer Service (SOS). The DC Municipal Aggregation Program allows participants to group together in order to receive a rate competitive with Pepco's SOS. The purpose is to get the lowest price for electricity and beat Pepco's rate by using the group's strength to attract more competitive electric suppliers' bids.

http://www.directenergy.com/EN/Washington/DEBS/Pages/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,240,946 times
Thanks, 54Ford

I guess that would be like a guy paying more for hamburger cuz 1 organic cow's meat is ground up and mixed with other cow's meat then the same is sold to everyone but some pay extra to feel good.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,557,228 times
Default air source heat pumps

Anyone have any experience with these?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:29 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,816,443 times
The public transportation system sucks where I live. If it were better, I'd ride the bus instead of drive my car
The drivers here are very rude toward cyclists...otherwise I would ride my bike as well.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,686,185 times
I think cost is a big challenge of going green, especially in the solar/wind area.
Net metering and more financial incentives could possibly help where people are more willing to spend to get solar/wind setup on their properties.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,023 times
Default I know

If we work together we will all change the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living