Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,655 times

Advertisements

I have had a very bad experience from trying to be a certified RESNET/HERS energy rater.

A person close to me signed up for a rater trainer class provided by one of RESNET’s accredited Rater Provider. The class coasted him $1195 and took place in February. He paid an additional $50 to take the RESNET National Rater Test. After scoring 94% on the test, he signed a rater contract with the same Rater Provider that had offered the class in order to complete the process of being certified. This cost him an additional $400.

Here came the big surprise: immediately after the Rater Provider company had cashed the check for $400, it made itself inaccessible. Neither did they return calls nor did they answer e-mails. According to the contract, the Rater Provider also has the obligation to provide me with the rating software called REM/Rate. He did not get that either.

After almost three months in this limbo, we complained directly to RESNET. What happened after that was only that we got a cancellation of the contract and check for $400 from the provider. I assumed this was supposed to be a remedy for the time and effort spent on this. Needless to say, I am not satisfied. Have you had a similar experience with one of these RESNET Energy Rater training classes? Please let me know. Moderator cut: Direct email against Terms of Service. People can correspond via Direct Message. (Put curser name for poster for link to DM).

Last edited by vec101; 06-13-2009 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 08:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,425,669 times
I have to get homes rated frequently in boulder Colorado. I think the whole thing is a mess. We have a license to the software, we know how to use it very well, but since we are not "licensed" to submit our ratings, we must pay thousands of dollars to have our plans rated by another rater.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,718 times
Thumbs down RESNET Energy Rater training class, "Rater MAY be certified"

The quote above is from materials the instructor gave the RESNET Certification class I took. You bet I learned the hard way what it meant. Yes, you will be at the mercy of a RESNET rater provider to be certified and do you seriously believe he wants you certified? You would then be able to compete with him in the market! How stupid could I be, I ask myself now for falling for this.

I spent $1800 plus time and effort to become a certified RESNET Energy Rater. If I had burnt the money instead, I would at least have saved the time.

This RESNET was initiated by mortgage companies with the only purpose of providing them with a purported rational for overblown mortgages labeled “Energy Efficient Mortgages” they then resold to investors worldwide. Do not expect deep knowledge of Building Physics from RESNET. Would you ask your bank about thermal bridges?

Before you spent your money on RESNET you should read their own standard and contemplate in what poor position you will be in. Here is a quote from it:

02.1.3.2 Performance evaluation of ability to perform accurate ratings. Each rater shall complete a probationary period where close supervision is provided. This period covers a minimum of three ratings above the two supervised ratings that are conducted in rater training, after which the supervisor shall determine if additional training is needed.

"This period" can be used by a provider for cheap (labor) internship. You can end up having to work for a provider for minimum wage with the prospect of MAYBE becoming certified. I doubt this type of exploitation is what the President has in mind when he speaks about green job creation.

G. Eek

Last edited by G. Eek; 06-14-2009 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,718 times
Read this:
The Highjacking of the Energy Bill by Mortgage Companies - DivineCaroline

Old 08-09-2009, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,278 times
This report answers many questions. It calls for United Stated States Department of Environmental Protection (EPA) and United States Department of Energy (DOE) to review RESNET's relationship with the ENERGY STAR program. It also calls for the general public to be aware of how this relationship affects them in terms of "energy efficiency" through the ENERGY STAR program.
The URL below will take you to the report:
[URL]http://www.divinecaroline.com/22354/80529-highjacking-energy-bill-mortgage-companies]The[/URL] Highjacking of the Energy Bill by Mortgage Companies - DivineCaroline[/url]

Last edited by Marie Gachelin; 08-09-2009 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: to fix errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living