Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,367,277 times

Advertisements

Given the benefits of vanpools, in areas where its feasible, what would you rather do?

Commute as you normally do in a high MPG vehicle, or would you vanpool?

Refer to this thread for reference: https://www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...ml#post9296130

Personally I like vanpooling. As I noted in the other thread, in a 15 person vanpool, even if the van is only 10 full, and even if the van only gets 10 mpg, you are still doing 100 mpg. All without having to buy a car that honestly is for geeks only, and is just as convenient.

That said I'd still get a high mpg vehicle for non-commute options, but I'm focusing on commuting options here. Why haven't more people used vanpooling? There's great federal programs out there now, and some employers subsidize it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Vanpooling is easier than driving (driving the van is not worth it IMHO - BTDT) but not a nice as a bus or train. I would rather sleep than drive in I-93 traffic to and from Boston.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,389,387 times
I like driving and hate riding with others, so high mpg vehicle for me, please (as long as it is entertaining).

Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,367,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I like driving and hate riding with others, so high mpg vehicle for me, please (as long as it is entertaining).

To each his own.

I also like driving ... but I don't own a high mpg vehicle, it's a Z4, so I save money by taking the vanpool.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:40 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,169,280 times
I like driving alone and don't want to lengthen my commute any more. Besides, I come in very early and leave early. No one comes in at the time I do. I need to have flexibility and the ability to come and go on a moments notice. I won't give that up.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:15 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,473,473 times
I attempted carpooling once. The first day, my ride was late. I ended up clocking into work late. This meant the night shift people had to stay over, because no one was there to relieve them. I then realized if we had an accident while carpooling, it would be VERY difficult to replace both employees on short notice (this was a weekend shift at the hospital). We gave up the idea shortly afterward. If we had convenient affordable safe public transportation here, I would consider using it. A train would be great.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Find a VW Diesel Rabbit in your neighbor's brier patch, fuel it with waste grease, and haul 3 other commuters.

I collected a whole litter of Rabbits for no more than $35 each.

Or make an econo 'hybrid'
EV Pusher | MrSharkey.Com

StealthRabbit - 50 mpg since 1976... Where have you been?
No dinosaurs required

Old 06-21-2009, 12:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
...I then realized if we had an accident while carpooling, it would be VERY difficult to replace both employees on short notice (this was a weekend shift at the hospital). We gave up the idea shortly afterward. If we had convenient affordable safe public transportation here, I would consider using it. A train would be great.

Safety is primary, and when working in Europe, we had to stop our vanpools due to losing some key people. (more than once).

I would be sure I was not in a 15 passenger van (prefer a bus / train is even better). AND be sure the driver has a CDL, as they are held to a much higher standard of driving. Might want to assure the insurance level. After finding inadequate insurance coverage, I left a bus driving job.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:02 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,520,341 times
I've done both. I liked carpooling because it was nice to have someone to talk too. Still there was times when it meant juggling schedules around in order to get things done and take days off. It was not insurmountable, but it was a pain.

Pros and cons to both.

Myself car pooling made a boring ride tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living