Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
No, using corn for ethanol is not idiotic.
Why are they running a NG pipeline to the plant, surely they could use the ethanol for fuel. Perhaps it's just can't efficiently be burned for heat or is becsue that would really make the reality set in of how much energy is required to make ethanol, by using NG we can hide it to some degree.

FYI, federal subsidies for ethanol in 2007. Not sure if this includes the subsidies the farmers receive for growing the corn itself:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/servicer...df/execsum.pdf
  • Table ES6.
  • Natural Gas and Petroleum Liquids
    • FuelConsumption(quadrillion Btu): 55.78
      Subsidization : $1,921 Million
      Subsidy per million Btu: $0.03
  • Ethanol/Biofuels
    • FuelConsumption(quadrillion Btu): 0.57
      Subsidization : $3,249 Million
      Subsidy per million Btu: $5.72
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you had bothered to read my post you would have noticed that I specifically mentioned the amount of research and money that has been
Other than coal and nuclear most of the money does not go into R&D but direct tax breaks to subsidize production and investment. See the link above.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:47 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why are they running a NG pipeline to the plant, surely they could use the ethanol for fuel. Perhaps it's just can't efficiently be burned for heat or is becsue that would really make the reality set in of how much energy is required to make ethanol, by using NG we can hide it to some degree.

FYI, federal subsidies for ethanol in 2007. Not sure if this includes the subsidies the farmers receive for growing the corn itself:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/servicer...df/execsum.pdf
  • Table ES6.
  • Natural Gas and Petroleum Liquids
    • FuelConsumption(quadrillion Btu): 55.78
      Subsidization : $1,921 Million
      Subsidy per million Btu: $0.03
  • Ethanol/Biofuels
    • FuelConsumption(quadrillion Btu): 0.57
      Subsidization : $3,249 Million
      Subsidy per million Btu: $5.72

Virtually all new energy technology is subsidized until the methodology and infrastructure make it economically viable.

Wind generation is subsidized. Wind Energy Costs (http://www.awea.org/faq/wwt_costs.html#If%20wind%20energy%20is%20competiti ve,%20why%20does%20it%20need%20a%20tax%20credit%20 subsidy%20from%20the%20government%20Isnt%20this%20 government%20interference%20in%20the%20free%20mark et - broken link)

Nuclear power is subsidized. Nuclear Production Tax Credits and the Energy Bill - NIRS

Clean Coal is subsidized. Clean Coal Subsidies - SourceWatch

Solar Power is subsidized. Solar Financing, Subsidies and Incentives

Bio-Fuel production is subsidized. Biofuel Subsidies in the United States | Global Subsidies Initiative

Why, exactly, is it so surprising that ethanol production is subsidized?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Virtually all new energy technology is subsidized until the methodology and infrastructure make it economically viable.
Yes, the document I linked too will show that. It provides figures on every form of energy and what it received in 2007.

Quote:
Why, exactly, is it so surprising that ethanol production is subsidized?
It isn't considering the power of the farm lobby, the point is that it's heavily subsidized. Ethanol received the most out of any energy in 2007 yet the benefits are dubious.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes, the document I linked too will show that. It provides figures on every form of energy and what it received in 2007.

It isn't considering the power of the farm lobby, the point is that it's heavily subsidized. Ethanol received the most out of any energy in 2007 yet the benefits are dubious.
Ethanol isn't about farmers, and a there is no farm lobby. It's about the USDA and big companies like ADM. It's also about the desire of John Q Public to cut our dependence on foreign oil. Solar, coal and wind subsidies do little (if anything) toward that goal.

I'm all for exploring EVERY possible ethanol source - including Switchgrass, Sugar Beets, Cane Sugar, etc.

But I'm also all FOR people being honest about the REAL cost of corn ethanol production. And up to this point, there have been some blatant lies told often enough that gullible people have begun to accept them as set facts. And that's not good for anybody.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
It's also about the desire of John Q Public to cut our dependence on foreign oil. Solar, coal and wind subsidies do little (if anything) toward that goal..
Coal can be converted to liquid fuel. I believe the magic number is $40 a barrel but it's a tricky investment because if the oil drops below that you're going to take a bath.

I know there has been some significant investment by the US air force in the past, if I remeber correctly successfully tested on small scale. Certainly not without precedent or new as Germany did the same thing during WW2.

Quote:
Sugar Beets, Cane Sugar, etc.
If my understanding is correct there isn't many places in the US suitable for growing them?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Quote:
Ethanol isn't about farmers, and a there is no farm lobby. It's about the USDA and big companies like ADM. It's also about the desire of John Q Public to cut our dependence on foreign oil. Solar, coal and wind subsidies do little (if anything) toward that goal.

I'm all for exploring EVERY possible ethanol source - including Switchgrass, Sugar Beets, Cane Sugar, etc.

But I'm also all FOR people being honest about the REAL cost of corn ethanol production. And up to this point, there have been some blatant lies told often enough that gullible people have begun to accept them as set facts. And that's not good for anybody.
One example of "no farm lobby"

farm lobby beats back assault on subsidies - Google Search

Moderator cut: No flaming

Last edited by vec101; 07-04-2009 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 09:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Quote:
Excuse me, mister condescending smart alec, but I think you need to explain exactly who/what this mysterious "farm lobby" is.

Have your wife click her heels for you. You may be surprised by the fact that it's not a lobby of farmers, but corporations.
Any farm that is actually run by a farmer instead of a corporation is either reaping the benefits of the non-existent "lobby" or soon to be extinct.

Explain? Moderator cut: No flaming
Moderator cut: No flaming There is no patronization in my posts, just facts.

Last edited by vec101; 07-05-2009 at 03:28 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Any farm that is actually run by a farmer instead of a corporation is either reaping the benefits of the non-existent "lobby" or soon to be extinct.

Moderator cut: No flaming There is no patronization in my posts, just facts.
EVERY link on "farm lobby" goes back to one article, written by the two people I mentioned.

Now, again... WHO is this "farm lobby" of which you speak?

Sorry, but you are NOT presenting fact. Moderator cut: No flaming .

Now, again... WHO is this "farm lobby" of which you speak? I want specific names. I was specific entities, groups, corporations.

Moderator cut: No flaming

Last edited by vec101; 07-05-2009 at 03:29 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 09:53 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I have read some things about a proposed ethanol pipeline to NYC that will make it the first large market for ethanol. The pipeline is suppoused to run throgh Pennsylvania and that is why their is a huge ethanol plant being built in Clearfield Pa. Does anyone know any details?
Is this the project you are asking about? Magellan, Poet to study U.S. ethanol pipeline | Green Business | Reuters

Now, is it possible to get back to the original question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living