Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:24 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
And that is a group whose very existence and income depends on further government funding - which depends on them concluding that Global Climate Change is not only real, but is happening at an alarming rate, and if we don't spend hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars on it, will result in the total destruction of the earth.
Just to clarify for others who may be reading this ... the government funding you speak of is funding from the US government as well as dozens and dozens of other governments:
The IPCC is funded by regular contributions from its parents’ organizations WMO and UNEP, the UNFCCC and voluntary contributions by its member countries. WMO also hosts the IPCC Secretariat and WMO and UNEP provide one staff member each for the IPCC Secretariat. Information about contribution received and expenditures incurred is provided by the Secretariat to the Panel. It is contained in the document on programme and budget.

The contributions form the IPCC Trust Fund which is administered under the Financial Regulations of the WMO. The Trust Fund supports the IPCC activities, in particular the participation of developing country experts in the IPCC work, and publication and translation of IPCC reports.

Governments provide further substantial support for activities of the IPCC, in particular through hosting Technical Support Units, supporting the participation of experts from their country in IPCC activities, hosting meetings etc.
Source (http://www.ipcc.ch/organization/organization_procedures.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Government-funded studies are rarely honest or particularly accurate.
On the contrary, government-funded studies are often honest and accurate. Unless you would favor a climate change study financed by, say, ExxonMobile?

Last edited by GreenGene; 07-18-2009 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
31,000 scientists have signed the petition. They say that: There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.

Are they lying?
No, I don't believe they are lying.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I like the signature on the example posted at the top of the page: "Edward Teller, PhD Physics" - has been dead almost 10 years, and if you google his name and "global warming" you'll find he supported the theory.

How were the signatures verified? Other articles have noted that several of the "PhDs" are "Doctors of Divinity" which would not be my idea of a scientist.
This petition was circulated quite a few years ago but I'm not sure when. It's not something new but I don't know if it's older that 10 years. Assuming it's legitimate and I have found nothing convincing enough to say otherwise it would be better labeled a list of academics that don't agree with it. The senate list I linked to previously is much more focused group.

Quote:
and if you google his name and "global warming" you'll find he supported the theory.
The argument is not whether the globe is warming. It's been warming and cooling for the entire length of time it's been existence. Where the division occurs at this point in time is whether it's caused by humans specifically CO2 emissions.

Supposing it is caused by humans even the effects of this are debated:

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/ma...pagewanted=all

........“His mind is still so open and flexible,†Sacks says. Which makes Dyson something far more formidable than just the latest peevish right-wing climate-change denier. Dyson is a scientist whose intelligence is revered by other scientists — William Press, former deputy director of the Los Alamos National Laboratory and now a professor of computer science at the University of Texas, calls him “infinitely smart.†Dyson — a mathematics prodigy who came to this country at 23 and right away contributed seminal work to physics by unifying quantum and electrodynamic theory — not only did path-breaking science of his own; he also witnessed the development of modern physics, thinking alongside most of the luminous figures of the age, including Einstein, Richard Feynman, Niels Bohr, Enrico Fermi, Hans Bethe, Edward Teller, J. Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Witten, the “high priest of string theory†whose office at the institute is just across the hall from Dyson’s. Yet instead of hewing to that fundamental field, Dyson chose to pursue broader and more unusual pursuits than most physicists — and has lived a more original life.

Among Dyson’s gifts is interpretive clarity, a penetrating ability to grasp the method and significance of what many kinds of scientists do

YouTube - Freeman Dyson on Global Warming 1of2 Bogus Climate Models

YouTube - Freeman Dyson on Global Warming 2of2 Stratospheric Cooling

Old 07-18-2009, 03:38 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This petition was circulated quite a few years ago but I'm not sure when. It's not something new but I don't know if it's older that 10 years. Assuming it's legitimate and I have found nothing convincing enough to say otherwise it would be better labeled a list of academics that don't agree with it. The senate list I linked to previously is much more focused group.
That's pretty much the problem with the petition - it's really part of the old "Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine" petition, for which the majority of signatures were emailed in and never verified as legitimate. To stir all of that questionable data in with a later effort to get the petition going was a huge mistake on the part of the originators, because it makes an unknown percentage of the signatories completely unverifiable. All you had to do was fill in a name and check a box which claimed a science degree.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:56 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
Home - Global Warming Petition Project

31,000 scientists have signed the petition. They say that: There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.

Are they lying?
While the petition itself may be bogus. the premise is accurate enough.

The current hysteria surrounding "global warming", which incidentally has been changed to "climate change" in the politics of hysteria, is based soleley on conjectur and opinions.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 AM

227 posts, read 535,629 times
Quote:
Home - Global Warming Petition Project

Are they lying?
Can you imagine how much they are being paid today? Especially in light of the wrong government being elected twisting and bending quite a few spoiled sport noses? And in reality that is what all of this is really about. So yes they are lying. Scientists' Report Documents ExxonMobil's Tobacco-like Disinformation Campaign on Global Warming Science | Union of Concerned Scientists

Old 07-26-2009, 09:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
Can you imagine how much they are being paid today? Especially in light of the wrong government being elected twisting and bending quite a few spoiled sport noses? And in reality that is what all of this is really about. So yes they are lying. Scientists' Report Documents ExxonMobil's Tobacco-like Disinformation Campaign on Global Warming Science | Union of Concerned Scientists

LOL... there's certainly issues with that petition but to suggest 31K are all getting kickbacks from Exxon is absurd.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Other scientists who don't 'specialize' in climate change (which seems like it would have its own self-servicing issues) can still weigh in as they know how to properly look at, interpret, and give credibility to scientific 'studies' and 'data.'

I don't have a degree in weather, but I can point out why some of the 'stats' quoted that claim to 'prove' global warming is man-made have weaknesses.

Last edited by stan4; 07-26-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-26-2009, 10:42 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Other scientists who don't 'specialize' in climate change (which seems like it would have its own self-servicing issues) can still weigh in as they know how to properly look at, interpret, and give credibility to scientific 'studies' and 'data.'

I don't have a degree in weather, but I can point out why some of the 'stats' quoted that claim to 'prove' global warming is man-made has weaknesses.
That's fair, Stan. It's easier for a scientist to go through the literature, sure. And I've found methological flaws on both sides. But, at the same time, even though I'm a chemist, I can't claim to have a reasonable opinion on the subject. For one, there is a lot of data to go through. A scientist would have to be a hobby climatologist (imo) to have a somewhat solid grasp of what's possibly going on. OTOH, it's reasonable to assume that other scientists can weigh in on particular papers/research. Although, I've never been very good at blowing through papers outside my area of specialization, quickly finding the talking points, and weaving it all together as a cohesive body of knowledge.

Any way, none of this is to say that I think global warming is man-made. Taking time to understand the science is enough. Throwing in possible human contributions goes right over my head. Regardless of the topic, though, if any funny business is found in a paper, or this petition, specifically, I tend to throw it out and move on.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Exactly, Braunwyn.

I mean, you and I know that you actually have to learn how to read a scientific study.

It makes me nuts when the media just gloms on a number that sounds dramatic, splashes it across the headlines, and takes advantage of the fact that most people don't understand how it was derived or its actual statistical significance.

X increases your risk of cancer by 30%!!!!! Yeah, well, if your original risk was 0.0003%, a 30% increase is hardly newsworthy...but there you go. And I notice the media never talks about NNT (number needed to treat). I don't expect the drug companies to, but the media is supposed to be 'unbiased.'

Frankly, I have not been exposed to any data regarding global warming that would lead me to believe that it isn't part of the natural cycle of cooling and warming the earth goes through (or influenced by recent increased sun activity). That being said, I think we as a species are incredibly wasteful and dirty and could really work on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living