Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM

65 posts, read 251,603 times

Advertisements

Cash for Clunkers for cars program is doing well. But... how about a Cash for Clunkers Air Conditioner program? My window unit has a EER of 8.6 I would love to get a rebate to trade it in for one that has a EER close to 11.0. Current unit is 6000 BTU. I got another that is a 5000 BTU and a EER of 6.0!

How many of these old clunkers are still being used in the low income community? LOTS! I know personally as I am low income. The Local transfer station wants me to pay $15 for EACH unit to recycle.... Hey! give me a rebate towards a new AC. Many of these units are improperly abandoned as the people cannot afford the $15 disposal fee. the EER 6.0 unit is sitting in storage in my living room closet. the 8.6 EER unit is in use in my bedroom.

I live in Winsted, Connecticut btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
How about the government doesn't collect that tax from me in the first place hmmm?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How about the government doesn't collect that tax from me in the first place hmmm?
I wouldn't mind if I could trade it in at Wal-Mart for a new unit like you do with Cash for Clunkers by bringing the old car to the new car dealership. Instead of going out of my way to get the transfer station, paying the $15 and then go buy a new unit, with $15 less to spend on it.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:01 AM

250 posts, read 906,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ichela View Post
Cash for Clunkers for cars program is doing well. But... how about a Cash for Clunkers Air Conditioner program? My window unit has a EER of 8.6 I would love to get a rebate to trade it in for one that has a EER close to 11.0. Current unit is 6000 BTU. I got another that is a 5000 BTU and a EER of 6.0!

How many of these old clunkers are still being used in the low income community? LOTS! I know personally as I am low income. The Local transfer station wants me to pay $15 for EACH unit to recycle.... Hey! give me a rebate towards a new AC. Many of these units are improperly abandoned as the people cannot afford the $15 disposal fee. the EER 6.0 unit is sitting in storage in my living room closet. the 8.6 EER unit is in use in my bedroom.

I live in Winsted, Connecticut btw.
Thats a great idea.

IMO, the cash for clunkers for car program rewards mid to upper income individuals, some who bought bulky low mileage SUVs who are getting a deep discount for a new car. I mean if you can afford a new car, even after this discount, you have money.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,562,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
Thats a great idea.

IMO, the cash for clunkers for car program rewards mid to upper income individuals, some who bought bulky low mileage SUVs who are getting a deep discount for a new car. I mean if you can afford a new car, even after this discount, you have money.
True, but the way I understand the program, it's not about "helping the poor," it's about stimulating the economy:
*help the car dealers sell more cars = not closing dealerships, keep people in jobs
*help the manufacturers have a need to produce more cars = more jobs in already depressed areas get a life line
*help the environment a bit by putting more fuel efficient cars on the road

On a personal level, I got my hybrid in 2005 and before that always drove small, fuel efficient (old!) cars, so this program doesn't do anything for me, but I can see it's value on a more global level. While a few more fuel efficient cars on the road isn't going to stop climate change on its own, it's a step in the right direction and helps people to realize fuel efficient cars aren't bad

I like the a/c idea though. FWIW - my city offers significant rebates for new more efficient a/c units. Maybe you should look into that?

Old 08-09-2009, 01:17 PM

737 posts, read 1,037,890 times
Because ALL window units are clunkers!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,771,735 times
I will be glad to take your junk air conditioners for free. They are a good source of copper and chloroflourocarbons to recycle. Or you can just tear apart your own and take the metal to the scrap yard. My air conditioning system is built from junk, but is free of "ozone depleting" chemicals, just ammonia is used.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I will be glad to take your junk air conditioners for free. They are a good source of copper and chloroflourocarbons to recycle. Or you can just tear apart your own and take the metal to the scrap yard. My air conditioning system is built from junk, but is free of "ozone depleting" chemicals, just ammonia is used.
I rekcon you still use a mechanical compressor though. Or have you gone with using an absorbsion using using either an electric heater or a gas flame to boil the ammonia.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,091,244 times
How about all you tax payers out there buy me a new washing machine. Mine needs a new clutch assembly. We'll call the program 'cash for clucker washing machines'.
And while we're at it, how about buying me a new refrigerator. I'd like one with ice maker on the door. We'll call the program 'cash for clucker refrigerators'. Come to think of it, how about a new HDTV. We'll have a cash for clucker analog TV.
You realize the $4500 for cluckers is your money, right?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,102,856 times
Some progressive cities are already providing rebates and tax incentives to help people replace their old HVAC systems, as well as sealing duct leaks, adding insulation. Our city owns the electric utility and operates it for the benefit of the community, they recognize that the rebates offset the cost of building new electrical generating facilities. They offer rebates and loans to assist customers with numerous energy efficiency improvements. Residential Rebates

In July 2007 I had the 18 year old SEER 8, HVAC completely replaced on my 1989 house with a new SEER 16 unit.

I received the following rebates:
City of Austin........................ $1536
Texas Gas ........................... $ 396
IRS "Tier 2" ......................... $ 300 this was a tax deduction rather then a rebate
Total Rebates....................... $2,232

Since the installation of the new HVAC our peak electrical consumption has been only 65% of previous years and our gas consumption has been 89% of previous years. I need to calculate the savings in dollars, have not done that yet. But I'm confident the HVAC improvements are paying for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living