Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:45 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Personally, I would love to see wind generation technology come to the point where virtually ever consumer and household could buy a generator and produce most of their own electricity.
That turns out to be suboptimal - just like you wouldn't install your own coal-fired generating plant. It is more economical to build one big (and well-placed - clean airflow is super-important) rather than 100 small turbines.

My home country (Natural resources: Fog and wind) has had a thriving undergrowth of wind turbine enthusiasts since the Gvt. lowered taxes on them, but it turns out that farms of big turbines is the way to go. (A small Danish company called Vestas may be familiar to some. Over 20% worldwide market share, which isn't too shabby for a company in a city nobody has heard of.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 10:49 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That turns out to be suboptimal - just like you wouldn't install your own coal-fired generating plant. It is more economical to build one big (and well-placed - clean airflow is super-important) rather than 100 small turbines.

My home country (Natural resources: Fog and wind) has had a thriving undergrowth of wind turbine enthusiasts since the Gvt. lowered taxes on them, but it turns out that farms of big turbines is the way to go. (A small Danish company called Vestas may be familiar to some. Over 20% worldwide market share, which isn't too shabby for a company in a city nobody has heard of.)
Right, I understand what you're saying.

Really though, what it comes down to is a matter of investment versus return. If there was a "residential" wind generator that I knew would pay for itself in 5 years, then begin making me money, I'd buy it. Unfortunately, that's not the case. In fact, at this point the investment in residential wind generation is very much a losing financial proposition.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,151 times
Default Ditto on That One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Right, I understand what you're saying.

Really though, what it comes down to is a matter of investment versus return. If there was a "residential" wind generator that I knew would pay for itself in 5 years, then begin making me money, I'd buy it. Unfortunately, that's not the case. In fact, at this point the investment in residential wind generation is very much a losing financial proposition.

Exactly and Ditto on that one, as unfortunately even with the subsidies you get from the Feds it still would not be cost effective.

Even less cost effective and more damaging for the environment are windfarms.

However, you can actually install your own wind turbine and that would save you a lot of $#$$$$$$ and if you shop you may be able to get some good deals. The mitigating factors would of course be the noise and if it pisses off your neighbor or how much of a line you have to draw, as the longer the line the less efficient.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Even less cost effective and more damaging for the environment are windfarms.
Large-scale turbines are considerably more cost effective than residential wind turbines. Wind farms are the logical extension of this principle. This is simply an area where smaller isn't better.

Small-scale is great for mobile and off-the-grid installations, but if you're on the grid, you get a better ROI by having a share in a larger turbine than by building your own.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,597 times
I think they are interesting. Certainly they aren't as polluting or as unattractive as oil wells, and I have seen vast fields of those. We do need more power, and while wind can't supply all of our country's power needs it can surely reduce the need for fossil fuels. So that makes them a good thing in my book. And no, if there was a wind farm in my area it would not bother me in the slightest.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
I think they are interesting. Certainly they aren't as polluting or as unattractive as oil wells, and I have seen vast fields of those. We do need more power, and while wind can't supply all of our country's power needs it can surely reduce the need for fossil fuels. So that makes them a good thing in my book. And no, if there was a wind farm in my area it would not bother me in the slightest.
If they came thru my area, I would hope my land would line up so a couple of them would be on it.

A friend of mine says 3 will be on their productive farmland.

They will recieve $5,000 per year per windmill ( $15,000 annually )

Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,151 times
Default Oil Wells vs Wind Farms

Quote:
Ode, you can have your 100,000 acre wind farm but I would rather stick with my oil well, as an average oil well would produce significantly more energy than your 100, 000 acre wind farm. It would also require lest land and it would be less expensive to operate. We have enough Oil, Coal and Hydro in this country to power 300+ million people for the next 1000 years.

Wind Power even with all the government hand outs still is so expensive and uses way too much land to produce just a drop in the bucket of power compared to what our needs are.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,597 times
So is there some reason why we can't have both? Why the rabid tone regarding wind power?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 AM

3,778 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
So is there some reason why we can't have both? Why the rabid tone regarding wind power?
Ode, I want to introduce you to marmac/CometVoyager.

Careful what you say about wind, or this tag team will get you!!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
As a sailboat owner I find that wind and solar power to be very attractive. It is possible to live with very modest power needs on a sailboat, and to supply most of those needs with solar and wind power. If you live in an area that has fairly reliable winds and is not too overcast most of the year, you can learn to live on only the power you produce with wind and solar. Even if your power needs exceed what you can produce with wind and solar, you can still greatly supplement your needs with these two resources. One of the huge benefits of wind and solar is that they are clean. They are some of the few ways you can produce your own energy on site without producing any pollution from burning fuels.

Wind and solar make a huge amount of sense for someone who wants to live off of the grid, or who needs a modest amount of power in an isolated location, where there is no grid or gas line to tap into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living