Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine in Concord, New Hampshire, has been selling electricity to the utility from a solar voltaic array on the roof of her 100+ year old victorian house. She also has a thermal collector that provides heat to the domenstic hot water and should, during this winter, supply heat energy to the heating system.

These systems work but have to be made larger than in a sunnier part of the country for the same amount of energy collected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
i wouldnt mind a small/medium pva that would at least alleviate some bills

Old 08-29-2009, 02:54 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syngar99 View Post
I see a lot fo solar talk coming from the sunny climes, but does anyone have experience with solar power in say maine?
Solar power relies on sunshine. It is not very effective in areas that don't have a lot of sunshine.

Sunshine Map US

Solar Insolation Map US

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-29-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Solar power relies on sunshine. It is not very effective in areas that don't have a lot of sunshine.

Sunshine Map US

Solar Insolation Map US
Depends on your system. We live in far north Idaho and we lived on solar power for 7 years. We're grid-tied now but our PV panels still provide the lions share of our electricity. Our power bill last month was $14.00. And we've been running a free-standing air conditioner.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:12 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Depends on your system. We live in far north Idaho and we lived on solar power for 7 years. We're grid-tied now but our PV panels still provide the lions share of our electricity. Our power bill last month was $14.00. And we've been running a free-standing air conditioner.
Mistyriver...you know I think the world of you so don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are so successful, not simply because of your lattitude, but because of your commitment to economize. I've seen pictures of your home and its beautiful, but also effecient. I think this is the key to any instalation....reduce...reduce...reduce consumption, and then make a system work.

But the Northeast, with its snow and winter fog (called sea smoke) would put a damper on solar energy days. But the angle of the sun makes it powerful when it does hit the collector.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I experimented with solar on our first house back in the early '80s. Mine was somewhat unconventional in that it wasn't on the roof, and had two Green Ash trees in front of it.

I built two 4 foot by 8 foot boxes out of wood. I believe I used 1x8 for the sides. To the back of each I added a corrugated metal sheet I painted flat black. The front was a corrugated fiberglass sheet that was a very pale green color. Between the two were wood fillers that matched the corrugation so there was a tight fit. Each filler alternately stopped short at the top and bottom of the units so the air was forced to travel a longer route. There was a fan controlled by a thermostat to come on at 110 degrees that sucked air from the house, through both units, and back into the house.

The units were connected to make a 4 by 16 foot unit that sat on the ground at the front (south) of our house. I painted it to match the house and it was very unobtrusive.

It pulled air from the basement floor and blew it back out in the kitchen through an opening in the baseboard under the sink. This location was chosen because of where I could place the solar unit.

In the middle of an Iowa winter, on a sunny day, with the unit partially shaded by the leafless trees we would get 100 degree air (plus or minus) blowing into the kitchen for 3 to 5 hours a day. depending.

I put an old electric clock in the circuit so I knew how long it ran each day since I was at work. I checked the temps on weekends.

I don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't much or I wouldn't have built it. We were pretty strapped for cash back then. I do remember my wife being very happy with the utility bills!

Edit: I should explain that this was a 1200 sq ft ranch with an open plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living