Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times

Advertisements

For those using CFLs (i.e. curly bulbs) - make sure you dispose of them properly as they contain small amounts of mercury. They have to go with hazardous waste or to a recycling place.

We are currently in a temp apt with no recycling (!!!), so I'm going with my previous residence and our plans when we move in 3 weeks.

Previous:
* recycled
* composted
* turned off lights, didn't let water run
* insulated our house well
* programmable thermostat
* energy star refrigerator
* donated clothing to goodwill or planet aid
* donated building material to Habitat for Humanity ReStore

Next house (plans) all of the above plus:
* front load washer
* rain barrels
* phosphate reducing septic (contributes to groundwater)
* recycled materials for decking (Trex or something similar)
* most building materials bought from non-profit and/or architectural salvage
* live 7 miles from the office, will bike to work some
I want to go with CFLs, but my husband is an electrician who does a lot with lighting. He loves recessed lighting too much and we both love dimmers. Just today, I found a dimmable CFL, so I may check that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 11:30 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
Has anybody had an energy audit done on their home? I'm interested in having one done (when I finally get my own place) since I heard that they can really help you save BIG $$$ in the long run.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
I've always heated my home with wood. Very old fashioned and lots of work involved, but a quite renewable source of energy. Laundry is always done with cold water and hung on the line or a rack indoors and I seem to cook most meals as if I was feeding an army, freezing much of the leftovers. Lights are dimmed - much more romantic that way!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Have done all the above for years, probably even before Gore got on his phoney bandwagon....

I wash and reuse plastic bags, foil, etc. A friend of mine rewashes used paper towels and hangs them up to dry!! Have not gone that far yet. I enjoy my outing to the recycling bins monthly!

Great resource is Tightwad Gazette series.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:11 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
Has anybody had an energy audit done on their home? I'm interested in having one done (when I finally get my own place) since I heard that they can really help you save BIG $$$ in the long run.
I did when I bought the current house 4.5 yrs ago. Basically, the most important thing was that the attic was not insulated so I immediately got that done with the ultra extra stuff (which makes the attic unuseable for any storage because of the fiberglass). I also changed all my windows and they're slightly tinted.

I forgot... I have energy star appliances too (kitchen and laundry).

Old 05-01-2007, 05:20 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Talking I need help!

I’ve been trying to go green for years, but my wife continues to spend it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living