Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:04 AM

39 posts, read 84,157 times

Advertisements

well christmas weekend i bought two bottels of kroger brand labeled organic ketchup & mustard and i told my mom but she was like "organic please your getting ripped off" so is it just a marketing gemick or are these for real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:16 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisalyx View Post
well christmas weekend i bought two bottels of kroger brand labeled organic ketchup & mustard and i told my mom but she was like "organic please your getting ripped off" so is it just a marketing gemick or are these for real?
Were they next to the Cruelty Free Relish?

There are indeed a lot of products with nice mark-ups and very little difference taking advantage of labels like "organic" etc. Just read the ingredients vs. a "normal" bottle and decide for yourself.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
You breath in more toxic pollutants, just walking into a grocery store, then there are in any bottle of non-organic ketchup or mustard.

Organic is a fad right now, largely driven by the media. Qualifications are inadequate and non-equal. It's a good idea, but all you're guaranteed is that you're paying a LOT more money.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Quote:
I buy organic ketchup just for the fact that it doesn't have high-fructose corn syrup in it. That's enough of a reason for me.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You breath in more toxic pollutants, just walking into a grocery store, then there are in any bottle of non-organic ketchup or mustard.
First off, when I choose to buy something like organic ketchup, I'm not thinking about toxins in the food, but the toxins in the soil which ultimately sterilize it making our vanishing arable soil useless for food production and the toxins in the groundwater that contribute to higher disease rates in the communities where the farming takes place and the pollution of the nearby bodies of water that are affecting marine and lake ecosystems reducing the amount of healthy fishing grounds.

Quote:
Organic is a fad right now, largely driven by the media.
I agree that the marketing of organics is fad driven, but since organic farming was the norm from the beginning of incipient agriculture about 9,000 years ago until about 60 years ago, I would hardly say that organic farming is a fad. The pyramids of Egypt, The Roman Empire, The age of exploration, The British Empire, and the rise of the United States were all driven by a foundation of an economy based in sustainable organic agriculture.

Quote:
Qualifications are inadequate and non-equal. It's a good idea, but all you're guaranteed is that you're paying a LOT more money.
Qualifications are variable and often arbitrary, but their bottom line is that they are difficult to qualify for. A lot of organic stuff is way more expensive because few farmers produce it. For example, I live in New Mexico and my grocery store only carries organic bell peppers grown in Holland a nation perhaps 10,000 miles away and FAR wealthier than my local community. On the other hand there is an organic CSA with a farm about 5 miles from my house that provides me with organic bell peppers for less than the cost of conventionally grown bell peppers. Also, organic ketchup casts about 30 cents more a bottle than the regular kind. A small price in my opinion that will drive producers to seek more conscious ways of growing food.

ABQConvict

Old 01-13-2010, 11:02 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
First off, when I choose to buy something like organic ketchup, I'm not thinking about toxins in the food, but the toxins in the soil which ultimately sterilize it making our vanishing arable soil useless for food production and the toxins in the groundwater that contribute to higher disease rates in the communities where the farming takes place and the pollution of the nearby bodies of water that are affecting marine and lake ecosystems reducing the amount of healthy fishing grounds.

I agree that the marketing of organics is fad driven, but since organic farming was the norm from the beginning of incipient agriculture about 9,000 years ago until about 60 years ago, I would hardly say that organic farming is a fad. The pyramids of Egypt, The Roman Empire, The age of exploration, The British Empire, and the rise of the United States were all driven by a foundation of an economy based in sustainable organic agriculture.

Qualifications are variable and often arbitrary, but their bottom line is that they are difficult to qualify for. A lot of organic stuff is way more expensive because few farmers produce it. For example, I live in New Mexico and my grocery store only carries organic bell peppers grown in Holland a nation perhaps 10,000 miles away and FAR wealthier than my local community. On the other hand there is an organic CSA with a farm about 5 miles from my house that provides me with organic bell peppers for less than the cost of conventionally grown bell peppers. Also, organic ketchup casts about 30 cents more a bottle than the regular kind. A small price in my opinion that will drive producers to seek more conscious ways of growing food.

ABQConvict
You are using some very, very "iffy" information regarding the soil that is supposedly being destroyed by non-organic farming. The truth is, Organic Farming is often FAR more destructive to the farm ground than non-organic.

Also, I'm sitting here scratching my head about Organic Bell Peppers that are imported to New Mexico from Holland. How can that possibly be good for the environment?

On the other hand, it's really great that you have an organic farm 5 miles from your house. Good for them and good for you!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:16 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
------" sterilize it making our vanishing arable soils useless for food production "---

??????????????????

yet, after only 3 years those same soils are eligible to be certified organic and you will pay top dollar buying organic food grown on those ruined soils .

Old 01-13-2010, 11:20 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,246 times
If you really care, make your own stuff.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 PM

501 posts, read 1,295,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
If you really care, make your own stuff.
I am currently testing a few recipes I've found online to find my ideal ketchup recipe. Until recently, I hadn't focused on the fact that my preferred ketchup used high fructose corn syrup (which I've been trying to eliminate from my diet).

So far, everything I make from scratch tastes far different and better than what I used to buy pre-made at the grocery store. I imagine ketchup will be the same deal, and as with other things, I can exert more control over what goes into my finished product.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Just ask you mom "why" its a rip off. If she can't explain it to you in numbers and sourced facts she is just flapping her gums. That corn syrup is made from Monsanto's corn. That is enough of a reason for me to buy ANYTHING but regular with corn syrup. Research on monsanto's ways. Read about "starseed" corn. Then talk to your mom about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living