Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,261,769 times

Advertisements

I read this smallish article tonight and thought, Gee this typifies this forum to a tee...

The "discussions" we get into here.... Sound familiar?

Quote:
Why should people have to choose between protecting the environment and supporting free trade? Why is there an us vs. them mentality?

How much of what you hear is real and what is hype?
Taking Personal Responsibility for the Environment | PickTheBrain | Motivation and Self Improvement

Last edited by plwhit; 01-18-2013 at 01:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,869,404 times
That was a good point. I remember when I first realized that it was a debate and a political issue and I was shocked. (I'm not that innocent any more.) I mean, who could argue that wasting resources is a good idea? OTOH, who wants jobs to go away? What Christian does not believe in good stewardship? What non-Christian thinks that the song of birds is annoying? But I have no wish for it to be political b/c it just shuts down the generation of ideas for good solutions and while we argue, the environment and the economy spiral further out of control.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:51 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,440,675 times
Deniers of global warming remind me of deniers of the Holocaust.

Selfish, short-sighted, ignorant, fascist and linear.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,125,968 times
Instead of arguing about it, why not try to figure out what we, as individuals can do about it? For instance, I no longer buy bottled water. I have a reusable bottle that I fill at home and take with me. I don't use many cleaners in my home, I find that vinegar, baking soda and oxygen bleach cleans most of my home better than commercial cleaners and do less harm to the enviroment. I buy spray bottles and reuse them. I try to do several chores when I make a trip to town. Before I buy something, I ask myself "Do I really need this"? I try to recycle and reuse. Ok, so this isn't going to change the world, but it does change my little corner of it. Wonder what we could do if everyone decided to just do little things to change their own little corner of the world?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM

13 posts, read 30,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Instead of arguing about it, why not try to figure out what we, as individuals can do about it? For instance, I no longer buy bottled water. I have a reusable bottle that I fill at home and take with me. I don't use many cleaners in my home, I find that vinegar, baking soda and oxygen bleach cleans most of my home better than commercial cleaners and do less harm to the enviroment. I buy spray bottles and reuse them. I try to do several chores when I make a trip to town. Before I buy something, I ask myself "Do I really need this"? I try to recycle and reuse. Ok, so this isn't going to change the world, but it does change my little corner of it. Wonder what we could do if everyone decided to just do little things to change their own little corner of the world?
Great stuff here. I have also stopped the bottled water and trying to incorporate natural cleaners more and more in my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living