Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,561,298 times

Advertisements

With today's technology, it seems to me that the millions of tons of paper used in offices annually could easily be reduced to a bare minimum. But many offices still remain highly dependant on paper in their day-to-day operations. Could it be that it's not cost-effective for a company to go paperless? Or are some companies just resistant to change?
The office where I work is a prime example. A computer on every desk, yet file cabinets full of documents and stacks of paper everywhere. Why??
Oh-- and this is a true story: Awhile back, our management put out a paper memo, about 20 pages in length, and distributed a copy to every employee (of which there are hundreds.) The topic: "Paper Reduction Act"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
I figure it has something to do with people not liking to stare at the screen when they are reading long documents. I personally, don't like to do that, and would much rather look at the paper at leisure.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Hi, tech support? My file drawers just crashed.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times
They'd be useless in the event of a power outage. Unless they have backup generators which I think produces harmful gases(?) Unless they used things like modified Kindles I don't think it would work. I DO think they should recycle some of their own paper, like old presentation graphs and what not depending on the offices (you may not want your doctor recycling your records) but it could work I think.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
First of all, not everyone has access to a secure computer to access confidential data. Second of all, not everyone trusts data floating around in cyberspace somewhere, that my come up 404 Page Not Found next week.

I asked a question over on the Business forum--"If a company has made your W-2 available to you online, have they done due diligence in providing YOU the form?" I have income from a company that went online last year for employee W-2s...and LAST year, I had problems gaining access to my tax documents.

So the "paperless" office doesn't work for everyone. By the way, it's a tax office, and we go through REAMS of paper, giving clients a packet of 20-30 sheets each, not to mention what we retain.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:16 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,904 times
I think that paper usage can at the very least be decreased significantly. It disgusts me how much paper we go through at work. If anything, I think that most things could be printed double sided to save paper.

The worst is how much backup accounting documents we have. We have rooms full of accounting papers, stacked in boxes, floor to ceiling. It makes me sick.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
I love paper. I would rather read paper than a computer screen. However, I do recycle all paper. The better question is, what is a better alternative to producing paper. The answer is hemp.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:15 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
Oh, this is definitely one of my pet peeves.
The waste, the space, the cost of keeping real paper is due to the inability of companies to join the tech world on the simplest aspect that would save them thousands.
Electronic fax also can replace that ancient machine everyone uses (think of the ink cost plus the machine cost, the telephone line charge).
The government recently came out with using both sides of the paper to decrease costs.
I see the waste at work when you're told to fax something then you have to make a copy plus send a cover letter then file it all. A couple strokes of the keyboard and all that is not necessary. But that means everyone has to get on the same page and know how to do this and realize the reality that back-up file systems guarantee against this astronomical crash people talk about.
I love my certificates, awards, degrees, card, letters etc... but when it comes to office management of information it should be electronic.
That's oversimplifying it but it will be common soon (hopefully).
If you can't trust an employee in cyberspace; then you can't trust them around the office file drawers either.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:54 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
As computer operating systems change and programs change (just upgraded) they will sometimes not open older files..

My new computer operating system will not open some of my older programs... I upgraded the program for the new computer operating system and it caused the work to reflow to an unuseable pile of junk.

So I now have a computer with the old operating system running so I can run the older program..and use my old files...

Many years ago the government had the same problem with Veterans records from Vietnam..

The newer computers would not allow them to be opened.. They had to fix the problem..

Always back up with a hard copy...

Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
I think that most offices only need one hardcopy of any document for back-up/filing purposes (printed double-sided of course), and the rest could be distributed electronically. Instead of sending a long paper memo to everyone's desk/inbox... send an interoffice email and tell them the paper copy is posted in the lunchroom or mailroom if they want to read it.

But, I've got an even better question for you.... why are there even so many offices still being used? With the large amount of "white collar" information only jobs nowadays, why are there still centralized offices where people have to commute to work and spend money keeping a facility operating?! Really. The majority of these people rarely need to physically talk to or work with their office mates, they spend the majority of their time on the phone or on the computer. Why not scale down to a single office for meetings, etc and let everyone telecommute? If if the company paid for every employee's broadband connection and computer, even a stipend for additional power consumption, they'd still save money by eliminating the cost of maintaining an office, utilities and liability insurance! And that's not even accounting for the more global impacts -- reduction of commuter traffic & subsequent fuel consumption, lower taxes because less roads would need to be expanded and maintained (or increased public transportation made available either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living