Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,390 times

Advertisements

I took my 10 year old son in for his yearly check-up, and needed his monthly Concerta prescription for ADHD. The doctor told me that he would be unable to give me any more prescriptions until I had signed a "contract" with the physicians group. This "contract" was something that this physician's group had created to satisfy a new law from Raleigh about controlled substances. In this contract we/my son had to agree not to sell his drugs, use more than one physicain to obtain his drugs, etc. No real problem, but then I was told that the contract also contains a clause that we will allow random drug testing via blood or urine at their discretion. Again, if we do not sign this contract, the doctor is unable to give us a refill. Has anyone else run into this yet? The doctor said it was new, and just started this spring. Why on earth would the good people of North Carolina need to do random drug tests on a 10 year old for ADHD medication?!? All of the information on line that I can find deals with opiates--not ADHD drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:59 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
I certainly hope you plan to research this in depth, sounds a little fishy to me.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
To verify he's actually taking the drugs as ordered instead of someone selling them.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:22 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,344 times
I have no idea about this law, but believe or not people do abuse ADHD medicine. I think if you crush and snort the pills you get a rush like cocaine. I have heard of teenagers and college kids doing it, so maybe that is why it is on the list like opiates?

Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
I'd change doctors. But if you don't, make sure it is "at no cost to patient". I could see a provider racking up some nice fees for labs! If they charge, this sounds like a money making scheme.

And remember, they only can 'test' when you and your child are at the doctors- so I wouldn't worry, just make sure it's free!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times
Lots of people buy up these drugs and sell them to people who aren't taking them because they need them. As much as a pain in the butt this law is, I'm glad it's come into effect. Hope other states do likewise.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
The drugs used for ADHD for the most part are class A narcotics . Adderal is being abused big time by people who are not suppose to have it.There is a need for more control over who has and who takes these drugs. You child being young isnt the issue as much as with college kids.The medication you noted is not loaded with amphetamines and is safer and less habit forming than adderal or the generic form of this drug.They can be if not taken as directed and an overdose can kill you The doctor did well to prescribe it.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 19,389 times
Not sure what is going on with all this but we are in NH and my husband (age 67) was told by his physician, last June, that he would likely be subject to random drug tests because of the pain medication he was on. Apparently this is some new, albeit futile, attempt to cut down on drug abuse, but really... is a 67 year old in dire need of pain medicine going to sell it? It has all become so ridiculous. He has since been being treated by the VA and they actually mail the controlled narcotics to him - no questions asked. Maybe this is a "per facility" decision rather than law?

I as well am on ADD meds and this is one of my major concerns regarding a probable move to North Carolina -finding a physician who isn't going to give me a hassle about continuin the medication I have been taking for 15 years. I need these meds and am not about to cash them in.

How is this supposed to help anyway? Seems like anyone selling these meds will just make sure it is in their system at the time of the appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point