Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,882,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trese View Post
I lived in Columbia for almsot 2 years and absolutely hated it!!! The armpit of SC!

Didn't have kids in school so can't comment on that and I won't give too many details other than it wasn't the type of city I am used to. I visited Myrtle Beach, Greenville and Charleston and loved those cities.

I highly recommend a visit to both cities to see what they are like but I don't think they are much alike at all.
I find very little commonality between Greensboro and Columbia. Greensboro, when you take into account the entire Triad is a much larger area. Greensboro feels less southern, has a more national / international pro business attitude and just feels like a large thriving metro.

Better shopping and better restaurants are in Greensboro.

Greensboro is close to the Virginia mountains and the geography of the Triad....the rolling hills.....quite beautiful.

Add all the cultural amenities in Greensboro, Winston Salem and High Point and you have a very busy social scene.

Greensboro is closer to having 4 true seasons of climate, vs hot or cool in Columbia.

The Triad gets the nod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 AM

201 posts, read 594,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
"Very different" is Columbia or Greensboro vs. Los Angeles. I'm hardly saying the two areas are identical, but these two Southern midsized cities share more commonalities than differences. It's not like someone moving from Greensboro to Columbia or vice versa is going to be in for a major culture shock.
Whatever...everyone has their own opinion - that is the nice thing about public forums. No need to continue on with this debate.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,894,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trese View Post
Whatever...everyone has their own opinion - that is the nice thing about public forums. No need to continue on with this debate.
Well, to be fair, you did admit similarities in terms of amenities and weather. Just not sure what you meant by differences in "culture." I mean I know there are some differences, but I don't perceive it as anything major. But then again, as you said, you do live in the immediate Winston-Salem area and not the immediate Greensboro area.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,831,685 times
The two cities seem to be very similar to me...both have a nice array of amenities and both have a small but lively downtown area. Columbia has an advantage of being the state capital (and all that goes with it) as well as being the home of the state's largest public university (and all that goes with it).

One big difference that I have noticed is the summer temperatures. Columbia always seems to be about 5-10 degrees hotter than the Piedmont cities for some reason...it's in that really hot area that forms a crescent running from eastern NC through SC and into southern GA.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:45 AM

201 posts, read 594,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The two cities seem to be very similar to me...both have a nice array of amenities and both have a small but lively downtown area. Columbia has an advantage of being the state capital (and all that goes with it) as well as being the home of the state's largest public university (and all that goes with it).

One big difference that I have noticed is the summer temperatures. Columbia always seems to be about 5-10 degrees hotter than the Piedmont cities for some reason...it's in that really hot area that forms a crescent running from eastern NC through SC and into southern GA.
Yep-that is why it is nicknamed "the armpit of SC"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point