Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,745 times

Advertisements

Hello all...my job just offered me a position in Greensboro NC, and I would love to take the position...but I just need to know more about the city before I make the move. I was born and raised in California so i feel like I am changing up everyway of life that I know. I would like to know some safe areas to move to in Greensboro as I have heard that it has a really high crime rate. However, I lived in Los Angeles for many years and have had no problems so I know its all a matter of what area u live in. Does anyone have any suggestions on some safe apartment complexes or maybe some safe, nice surrounding cities that wont be to far of a commute to Greensboro?....I would love to venture out of Cali...so im hoping Greensboro will be my next home!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,081 times
Pleasant Garden is about 15 minutes from Greensboro. It is a very safe area. My grandparents have lived there for years.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 AM

231 posts, read 714,363 times
Did the FBI change their crime reporting methodology or something? Greensboro is, as it has ever been, a very safe city. Remarkably safe, I would say, having spent time in similarly sized cities around the east coast. There are small areas around town where one might worry about property crime, but there is not a single area in Greensboro where I have felt unsafe walking around in the daytime (and I don't think there is a single area in Greensboro where I've not walked in the daytime). I cannot say the same of Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston or High Point, or of Richmond, Roanoke, Virginia Beach, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg, Birmingham, and Montgomery.
Even the safest cities have pockets of crime. Nearly any part of Greensboro north of Lee Street and west of Church Street will have little crime.
If you prefer suburban or exurban living, then the choices are all perfectly safe, but I can't imagine someone choosing the 'burbs based upon crime alone.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 AM

69 posts, read 165,298 times
If it's any consolation, I have two close friends and their wives that just moved back from Cali after nearly a decade. They would, like nearly everyone than can afford it, rather be back in San Mateo but they are quite happy in NC. We're not bug-eyed hicks... Well, most of us aren't Check out Adams Farm apartments - they're fairly nice and a quick commute to shopping, downtown etc.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 13,753 times
Thumbs up Good Areas of GSO

A lot depends of where you will be working - downtown, the western side off of Hwy 68 and near the airport, or elsewhere. I just posted a long message for someone moving from Raleigh to near the airport - check it out.

I now live in the SE area of the county near Pleasant Garden and Forest Oaks country club and love it as it is relatively slower and less congested than other areas like the Northern and NW parts of GSO and the Guilford County. I know a lot of people who live and work on the western side of town, off of Hwy 68 and Wendover Ave - checki tiout since a lot of the shopping areas are nearby and still developing. Look at Hwy 68/Wendover/Skeet Club if it convenient.

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,488 times
Having lived in Chicago, Myrtle Beach, Greensboro, Louisville, Indianapolis, etc, I can testify that I've always come back here. Whoever told you that this is a high-crime city obviously didn't live here. Everyone who lives here will tell you that you can go outside at any hour of the day and be fine. Downtown is beautiful and thriving, the suburbs are always pleasant and there's tons to do. I was actually considered for a position on publicity for the city because I knew so much about it.

The city is alive, welcoming and generally tolerant of 99.9% of everything. Living here is absolutely one of the best things I've ever done because every time I've moved away, I've always come back. I hope you do accept the job and move because it's a GORGEOUS and historic city!

Email me if you wanna know more!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 10,839 times
I used to live in LA and now live in Kernersville. If you think of Greensboro, High Point & Winston Salem as a triangle with each city being a point, Kernersville is in the center of all three. Has a small town appeal, active downtown, great for raising kids. Oak Ridge & Summerfield are also wonderful suburbs of Greensboro. Visit the areas & check them out. Downtown Greensboro is also a wonderful revitalized area with fabulous apts. My husband is a home builder, if you're interested in that, and there are some great custom builders in this area. Good luck & welcome. PS We have the mountains & the beach in NC, which makes it a great area to live & vacation.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,355 times
I grew up in Charlotte, currently live in Greensboro, and commute to school in Winston-Salem. I LOVE Greensboro. It's not too crowded or hectic, but there is still plenty to do. People are generally very friendly. I find the cost of living to be very cheap. I have always felt safe here- there are a few bad areas but every city has that. Westerwood and Lindley Park are residential, affordable and in great locations- close to downtown and major shopping centers. Are you looking to rent or buy?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,312 times
Culture shock! I, too am a life-long Californian and I just moved here last month. So far, so good...I miss sidewalks, good Mexican restaurants, the beach, etc. The people are okay, although when I have looked for a job I get shut down immediately, do I look like a spoiled CA rich kid, and are they afraid I'm taking a job away from a native North Carolinian? I have looked EVERYWHERE for a job. I definitely feel some friction about my relocation. Do you feel the same?

Old 10-30-2010, 05:19 PM

92 posts, read 297,860 times
don't feel too bad...after a while they'll let you in!! Greensboro is a nice city to move too. Like the others I too wonder who gave you that info on it being a high crime area. There are mornings when i'm out the house, walking, before 6 am and my only fear is the racoon that may chase after me for getting too close to it's den! Take the job, be prepared for a slower pace, but most of all don't fear and please do enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point