Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:35 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,017,053 times

Advertisements

As far as race-related hate crimes in North Carolina go, not much going on here compared to the more "progressive" states.

StateMaster - Statistics > Hate Crimes > Race related (per capita) (Latest available) by state (broken link)

Old 08-12-2007, 02:00 PM

5 posts, read 21,438 times
Smile Whitsett area very nice!

I am a former resident of Whitsett (14 years) and loved living there. It's a small but growing area where you can have the best of Greensboro and Burlington without getting caught up in all the big town politics. When it comes to race relations, I think NC in general still tends to get bad PR from the Nov 3, 1979 shootings, and continually from the childish squabbles of the Guilford County commissioners. It's one of those issues where if everyone were the same ethnic background, there would be absolutely nothing to disagree about. I raised my son in the Whitsett community and fortunately he was able to have close friends of different races (African American, Indian and Vietnamese). As far as sectors of a county are concerned, I've noticed that your western areas tend to be your upper income families whereas the eastern parts are middle to low income. Guilford county is no exception. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 08-18-2007, 11:06 PM

903 posts, read 3,508,344 times
Oh yeah, the Klan is around. They like their "hunting" clubs, "fishing" clubs, and various other "lodges" tucked away out in the county. Used to live right down the road from one in SE Guilford County. And they ARE alive and well in NC.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:29 PM

10 posts, read 36,662 times
...and as numerous other posters have pointed out, they're alive and well everywhere else

I wouldn't say racial segregation is any worse in Guilford than your average area of the same size. Yes, many minorities will live on one "side", but this is the case everywhere where there's a large income disparity between ethnic groups, and has more to do with income than race. It's no different than comparing sections of a large city.

Also, Guilford is certainly one of the more progressive counties in NC (arguably in the US). There's a HBCU in the area, and UNCG/Guilford College are certainly not conservative colleges, which has a noticable effect on the county.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 PM

23 posts, read 114,646 times
Not much Klan activity around these parts anymore. I'm sure they are here, but they stay quiet now. There's racism everywhere in the US, but the south is much more accepting than people like to admit.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:58 PM

13 posts, read 45,846 times
Grew up in Burlington and moved to Whitsett for about 3 years. still own a town home there matter of fact. great place to live and bring a family up.

Go talk to Lucille up at Brightwood if you want real answers about the town of Whitsett!! her and Paul will set you straight on anything you want to know.

BTW, I would think Whitsett is in the eastern part of Guilford County, not the west as yuo mentioned.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
You are going to find KKK in almost every state....however, NC isn't backwards.....you can find what you are looking for I am sure....thought I a
not overly familiar with the area you are looking at. (I live in The Triangle...not The Triad.)

The Southern Poverty Law Center keeps a tab on all sorts of hate groups....here is a link to their NC state map of known organizations they follow [URL="http://www.splcenter.org/intel/map/hate.jsp?S=NC&m=5"]SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map[/URL]
I am African-American and I just moved to Gibsonville. I find it very friendly and see no signs of the KKK or any problems. There seems to be a tremendous amount of migration from the north, therefore the population of North Carolina is changing rapidly. I'm from New Jersey via New York City. I see that your comment is not timely, so you may never see this comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point