Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2007, 02:31 PM

23 posts, read 101,112 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide me with any info on the Whitsett/Stoney Creek areas a few miles east of Greensboro? I'm a professional black woman in my 30s moving from the DC area. No kids, so schools aren't an issue. I'm not into the night life either so I don't need clubs and bars, etc. close by. Mainly I'm wondering about shopping, banking, restaurants and diversity. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 02:44 PM

550 posts, read 1,807,876 times
There's not much out there - a lot of housing, but it's basically a bedroom community for Greensboro and Burlington. There are very few restaurants, little shopping and only one or two grocery stores. there is some diversity - Whitsett is generally white, as is Stoney Creek, but neighboring Sedalia is mostly black. The population of Whitsett is about 550. Sedalia is less. Stoney Creek is may a couple thousand.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Wow, thanks so much for the info Dakota. I have no problem with the areas being mostly white. But the limited shopping and only one or two grocery stores are definitely issues for me. Does Stoney Creek have more shopping options since it has a larger population, or are there very few stores for that entire area? Thanks again.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM

550 posts, read 1,807,876 times
It's just the area - they are building more near Burlington (Stoney Creek is about 10 miles away) - not too far of a drive, but it's not done yet.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 12,864 times
After living in the center of Greensboro for 6 months, I moved out to the Stoney Creek/McLeansville area. It is a very good area for many different reasons. There are no city taxes, the schools are good, downtown is only about 10 mins away, it is a relaxed setting and feel, it is directly off of I-40/I-85 and at the intersection of the urban loop (under construction), 10 mins in the opposite direction is the new shopping district emerging on the guilford/alamance county line ( already open is Target, Best Buy, Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Chilli's, Moe's ), an outdoor mall opens in 4 months with JC Penny, Dillards, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Carrabus.

...Housing is plentiful with many different price ranges that are excellent for the money. Townhomes, Villa Homes with garages, singe family...all $110,000 to $160,000. I bought a new 3 bed 1500 sq. ft. townhome loaded with features like 9ft. ceilings, 42' cabinets, hardwood floors throughout, crown molding, garden tub for exactly $110,000.

A decent shopping center with everything you need at Stoney Creek has CVS, grocery, local dinning and fast food and most banks. You might have to drive 10 mins one way, or 12 mins another...but the location is very balanced.

Try: Moderator cut: builder/developer sales websites

Old 04-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Thanks uncdub83! I appreciate the info. I won't be buying just yet, but those homes are gorgeous. I will definitely hold on to the links for future reference.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 7,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdub83 View Post
After living in the center of Greensboro for 6 months, I moved out to the Stoney Creek/McLeansville area. It is a very good area for many different reasons. There are no city taxes, the schools are good, downtown is only about 10 mins away, it is a relaxed setting and feel, it is directly off of I-40/I-85 and at the intersection of the urban loop (under construction), 10 mins in the opposite direction is the new shopping district emerging on the guilford/alamance county line ( already open is Target, Best Buy, Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Chilli's, Moe's ), an outdoor mall opens in 4 months with JC Penny, Dillards, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Carrabus.

...Housing is plentiful with many different price ranges that are excellent for the money. Townhomes, Villa Homes with garages, singe family...all $110,000 to $160,000. I bought a new 3 bed 1500 sq. ft. townhome loaded with features like 9ft. ceilings, 42' cabinets, hardwood floors throughout, crown molding, garden tub for exactly $110,000.

A decent shopping center with everything you need at Stoney Creek has CVS, grocery, local dinning and fast food and most banks. You might have to drive 10 mins one way, or 12 mins another...but the location is very balanced.

Try: Moderator cut: builder/developer sales websites
Hi uncdub83. What subdivision did you find with townhomes in that price range for $110,000 with all those features? We have been looking at Stoney Creek in Whittsett and haven't seen anything sounding like where you are at. Would appreciate you pointing us in the right direction. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:26 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,514 times
my husband and i also are looking around and we really like whitsett. we really don't know yet what the democraphics is yet but we really don't worry about that. we're white but get along with everyone. we have both african american and mexican in our families so really not an issue. we aren't sure the feeling is mutual though. but we talk to everyone we see and over all, everyone seems very open and nice. we talk to both white and black to get a feel for how they feel about us being in their areas. whitsett/stoney creek has a couple of nice shopping areas. great pizza! there is a mall down the road. we are looking at greensboro, but actually prefer to drive to the people and live in the quiet area. if you live closer to the stores, you have to deal with the traffic and people from all over..just a thought.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:29 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,692 times
The Stoney Creek area has tons of townhomes going up and resales, so it shouldn't be too hard to find what you need in the area.

As far as townhomes for $110,000- I just ran a search in the GSBO/Guilford County area and Ridge Creek has a few for less than $110,000. In fact, I found 110 properties in Guilford County that are less than $110k, so there's bound to be something for you.

Remember to check the Homeowner's association (HOA) fees because you will be paying that monthly as well as your house payment. Also remember to get your own buyer representation because the person on the sign that you call works for the SELLER and the builder's rep in new home communities works for the SELLER. You need to be represented by a BUYER'S agent who is looking out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point