Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 PM

231 posts, read 712,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnsea2 View Post
Agree completely with Enlightenme. Food is lacking the quality found in large Northern areas. And, hey, what's wrong with that , Arbyunc? Did you really think anywhere in NC could compete?

Really? The options available in a small metro area don't compare to the variety in large urban areas elsewhere? Who could have imagined?

I have never been to most large Northern cities, but I will confidently declare that food quality, if not variety, in the Triad is far superior to that of Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnsea2 View Post
Agree completely with Enlightenme. Food is lacking the quality found in large Northern areas. And, hey, what's wrong with that , Arbyunc? Did you really think anywhere in NC could compete?
Which large Northern areas are you talking about? Greenland?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:05 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,810 times
You know, Las Estrellas was one of the first places we tried because a few people recommended it and we didn't feel it. My spouse also had lunch at the other place in that strip mall and didn't like it. Taqueria Guadalajara on Peter's Creek was also recommended and again we didn't care for it. EL Paisano on Peter's Creek near my neck of the woods in N. Davidson county was terrible! They definitely went over board with the chees sauce and red sauce!! Here I go again, sounding like a negative Nellie....I have been curious about Senior Bravo. Isn't that the place in the old South by Southwest building in Old Salem? Their menu seemed like it had the possibility of being the Americana Mexican. I like how La Botana has their regional selection with some more unusual items. They can be hit or miss though. I have had some nights were they just felt off or the dish wasn't consistent to the last time it was prepared. The chef is great and very receptive to feedback.

The one restaurant and cuisine I will miss if I do move on is Sweet Potatoes. I have never had a bad dish there. I also really like Mellow Mushroom for pizza. I know it is not a traditional pizza, but I like their funkiness! And beer selection..Aggh pizza and beer, now I am going a different direction with my cravings. If you want to put a face to these mystery postings you will probably find me at Mellow Mushroom or La Botana tonight!!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:27 PM

Senor Bravo is essentially Las Estrellas, with the same prices but smaller portions. The food is the same. All Mexican restaurants here will have at least some portion of their menu devoted to California-style Mexican (i.e. copious amounts of red sauce & queso).
The above-mentioned, as well as Taqueria Guadalajara and El Sombrero (on University) have delicious authentic options.
I'm not sure about now, but when I lived in Greensboro I swore by El Azteca (formerly on Spring Garden). For good sauce & cheese Mexican, there's Pancho Villa's and Casa Vallarta.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:44 PM

881 posts, read 2,253,315 times
I still think their has been some fair criticisms brought up even outside the whole "poverty/pregnancy/crime" complaints some are just a matter of opinion based on preferences for example

post #16 - To be honest, the interesting things to do around here have felt played out in 5 years of doing them.
post #26 - I would never call downtown vibrant. It is decent with some good choices, but for us it becomes the standard date night of Sweet Potatoes for dinner followed by Aperture for a movie. The other restaurants are good, but I have never been let down by Sweet Potatoes. It is The Children's Museum or Sciworks with the kids during bad weather and Tanglewood for good weather. Maybe a trip to Greensboro's museums to mix it up. A few times to Hanging Rock to swim and hike and 1 week a year to the beach. We are use to having more to do and going to the beach and hiking daily.

I felt a lot of the same way, I hesitant to give too many details about my experience simply because the OP is married with kids and I am not so some of my problems with W-S they would not necessarily experience.

Far as getting to talk to your neighbors with the exception of one, none of mine talked to me either but I've seen a few threads on the triangle forum mentioning the same thing so not exactly a problem in just W-S.

Far as Mexican food... I've been to Mexico (Mexico City and surrounding areas) it's not really my favorite food so the lack of good Mexican food doesn't bother me Although I would love for NC as a whole to get something like Pret

Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
I still think their has been some fair criticisms brought up even outside the whole "poverty/pregnancy/crime" complaints some are just a matter of opinion based on preferences for example

post #16 - To be honest, the interesting things to do around here have felt played out in 5 years of doing them.

post #26 - I would never call downtown vibrant. It is decent with some good choices, but for us it becomes the standard date night of Sweet Potatoes for dinner followed by Aperture for a movie. The other restaurants are good, but I have never been let down by Sweet Potatoes. It is The Children's Museum or Sciworks with the kids during bad weather and Tanglewood for good weather. Maybe a trip to Greensboro's museums to mix it up. A few times to Hanging Rock to swim and hike and 1 week a year to the beach. We are use to having more to do and going to the beach and hiking daily.

I felt a lot of the same way, I hesitant to give too many details about my experience simply because the OP is married with kids and I am not so some of my problems with W-S they would not necessarily experience.
Statealum, you bring up a valid point. Back in the mid-90's there was a lot of emphasis/discussion about how to attract and keep younger people (20's-30's) in WS. That became a thrust for the beginnings of the downtown improvements we've seen since then, including the weekend street concerts and additional bars/restaurants. Funny, even back then I'd hear my younger single friends complain about the dating scene. I would jokingly remind them that we have two hospital complexes chock full of young, single nurses, an all-women's college, two universities, and a large banking presence that hires in beautiful women from all over the place--so what's the problem?

Clearly the girls (and guys, for that matter) are out there, and there are more and more places for them to meet, so perhaps it's getting better overall. Still, as I've said all along, WS is not a large city, so the expectations have to be tempered.

About the things to do...I personally couldn't imagine being "played out", and I've been here almost 20 years. I suppose this comes down to what one finds to be "interesting". But to suggest there's not a lot to do around here is, IMO, flat wrong. "Sweet Potatoes and a movie at aperture" sounds like a very avoidable rut to me; there are plenty of other very good restaurants, entertainment options, or completely different things to do.

Same for the kids activities. There are tons of things for kids to do around here--music lessons, art camps, sports activities, nature hikes, ice skating, fishing, horse riding, swimming, and on and on. If you are used to having more to do, what are the things that you're missing?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Statealum, you bring up a valid point. Back in the mid-90's there was a lot of emphasis/discussion about how to attract and keep younger people (20's-30's) in WS. That became a thrust for the beginnings of the downtown improvements we've seen since then, including the weekend street concerts and additional bars/restaurants. Funny, even back then I'd hear my younger single friends complain about the dating scene. I would jokingly remind them that we have two hospital complexes chock full of young, single nurses, an all-women's college, two universities, and a large banking presence that hires in beautiful women from all over the place--so what's the problem?

Clearly the girls (and guys, for that matter) are out there, and there are more and more places for them to meet, so perhaps it's getting better overall. Still, as I've said all along, WS is not a large city, so the expectations have to be tempered.

About the things to do...I personally couldn't imagine being "played out", and I've been here almost 20 years. I suppose this comes down to what one finds to be "interesting". But to suggest there's not a lot to do around here is, IMO, flat wrong. "Sweet Potatoes and a movie at aperture" sounds like a very avoidable rut to me; there are plenty of other very good restaurants, entertainment options, or completely different things to do.

Same for the kids activities. There are tons of things for kids to do around here--music lessons, art camps, sports activities, nature hikes, ice skating, fishing, horse riding, swimming, and on and on. If you are used to having more to do, what are the things that you're missing?
I ended up spending a lot of time with a large singles group at a well known church in the area but with the exception of Sunday morning and perhaps a Sunday afternoon pick-up game the same 6 or so guys were the only ones who regularly participated in events. We often had 20-30 women though. We had a decent rotation of events - eating out, movies, game night, baseball games etc. Since I've left I know the group has had some leadership issues which to me seems to be a common problem with a lot of organizations that young professionals would want to be involved with. Also I feel like many singles in the area already acted old - it definitely isn't what a call a vibrant fun community.

Just an example one organization could do to improve - WSSSC is the W-S equivalent of tri-sports which is very popular in the triangle and it's an easy way to meet other young professionals. WSSSC only offers two sports and I can't even tell when their next social event will be (unless they only do stuff after games). Not saying they need to add as many sports at tri-sports but adding something like cornhole/barcathalon would attract those that aren't interested in kickball or football.

Far as things to do that's just a matter of preference, you may be happy with what is available and yes W-S has a good amount for a city it's size but the OP wants to know if it's going to be enough for them. Some people just want more. I think this is what you seem to have a hard time understanding, you keep looking at it from what you are happy with. I felt like most weeks W-S might have one or two unique events and if they weren't something I was interested in (many were too family oriented) then it was back to same ol usual suspects which gets old after a while.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Just out of curiosity, can anyone provide examples of cities of around 250k people or less, that do not have a beach, theme park, mountain, or some other major cultural/recreational/retail/economic engine within a 20-minute drive, but that have the level of fun & engaging entertainment options many of you seem to crave?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
Far as things to do that's just a matter of preference, you may be happy with what is available and yes W-S has a good amount for a city it's size but the OP wants to know if it's going to be enough for them. Some people just want more. I think this is what you seem to have a hard time understanding, you keep looking at it from what you are happy with.
No, I don't have a problem understanding that some people want more. I think what I have a problem with is someone assuming that a city the size of WS would be comparable to Chicago or San Diego. So if someone asks "I'm used to [insert big city name], will I like WS?", it seems to be an unfair question. As I said on the first page of this thread, WS is not a large city, so of course it won't be the same. But I would confidently say that WS can hold its own against any other similar-sized city.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:13 AM

54 posts, read 130,145 times
I find it interesting that you feel the need to so vigorously defend W-S, Arbyunc. Thou dost protest too much.
If W-S were so great, so many people would not be complaining.
Your point of view is just that. It is not everyones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point