Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,397,613 times

Advertisements

This is the first Time I'll ever try to venture out on Amtrak and I figured why not try it? Something relatively cheap, and I just thought it might be a nice experience to try out.

So I was wondering once I get on the Charlotte Train to the winston-salem transfer point it'll be a 45 minute bus ride to the Winston-Salem Transportation center or whatever it's called.

But what to do when you get in Winston-Salem with no car?

I was thinking about Old-Salem but I remember going 2X as a kid and I did not like it, I think. So, basically I was wondering if you guys think Old-Salem is a place to check out as an adult.

Is there anything else to do besides Old Salem? Something Charlotte doesn't have that you can get to without a car.

This is going to be one day I have off to really do something. And I want it to be good. Should I just stay in Charlotte? Or is Winston-Salem via Amtrak worth doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,160,663 times
Depends a lot on what day you're coming. There are usually weekend activities downtown during the spring/summer. If it's just a normal weekday, I can suggest:

--Walk around the 6th St. arts district (one block north of the Trans. Ctr.)
--Have lunch at Sweet Potatoes on Trade St.
--See an indie movie at A/perture Theatre.
--Have a drink at Tate's Bar, or Recreation Billiards, or NOMA, or Foothills Brewery.

Regarding Old Salem, it's hard to say whether you'll like it or not. I love just walking around there, preferring to skip the formal tours (although they are good if you've never been). Pretty cool to check out the old gravestones in God's Acre, or get a snack at Winkler's Bakery and eat it while chilling on the main square. There's a greenway that connects Old Salem to downtown at 4th St., just south of the Trans. Ctr.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:32 AM

35 posts, read 81,468 times
Wish I could provide some insight for you but since I just moved to W-S a week ago, I am afraid that I am not that up to giving advice on that particular issue, but was curious about the Charlotte Amtrak ride - it's only 45 minutes on it to Charlotte/vice versa? Interesting, since I am looking for professional employment all over the Triad region as well as potentially Charlotte..... I will tell you that there are some FAB rest/bars downtown, and that that area is rapidly growing with new venues/art galleries - of course we have the 1st Fridays downtown with all of the places open and blocked off to traffic which is fun too - check out the local festivals - there are 3 here that I'm aware of this weekend in the W-S area.....good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point