Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,165,106 times

Advertisements

UNC School of the Arts film school ranked the #12 in the world!

UNCSA School of Filmmaking Ranked #12 Of 25 Best Film Schools In The World | digtriad.com

That's quite an honor. They're obviously doing something right over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 05:17 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,741,790 times
The good news is that my daughter goes there and is in the film school.

The bad news is that they routinely talk to the students about closing down the film school at UNCSA due to budget cuts.

It would seem, one would cut all the film schools in the UNC system before the one at UNCSA, but the mindless, "gonad-less" across the board cuts result in this kind of foolishness.

Thanks for the link.

By the way, if you go to the original story, UNCSA's tuition is about 1/10 of the schools ranked above in. 1/10!

Last edited by LLN; 08-13-2011 at 05:27 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 12:47 PM

700 posts, read 1,647,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The good news is that my daughter goes there and is in the film school.

The bad news is that they routinely talk to the students about closing down the film school at UNCSA due to budget cuts.

It would seem, one would cut all the film schools in the UNC system before the one at UNCSA, but the mindless, "gonad-less" across the board cuts result in this kind of foolishness.

Thanks for the link.

By the way, if you go to the original story, UNCSA's tuition is about 1/10 of the schools ranked above in. 1/10!
Would have to say that Winston could step up more. the school of the arts could be a larger part of the downtown. But, they (NCSA) would really need to work to become more general and work to draw an interest in the community. Now, it is we know they are there. But, do not know what they do. I know they have worked on the art district downtown. But, the school could reach out more to the local schools with invites and FREE shows (plays or dances) for the kids in those downtown location. Just a thought.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 AM

72, I think UNCSA does reach out quite a bit to the community, and vice versa. They have joint concerts and free clinics with community youth choirs and bands. They have a number of free concerts and performances that are open to the public. They have the Community Music School. They work with a number of local venues and institutions, such as Reynolda House, Aperture Theater, SECCA, and others. And their showcase venue, the Stevens Center, is located smack dab in the middle of downtown Winston--very visible and very accessible.

I'm sure it can always get better, but it's not as if they're an island within the city.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:59 AM

700 posts, read 1,647,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
72, I think UNCSA does reach out quite a bit to the community, and vice versa. They have joint concerts and free clinics with community youth choirs and bands. They have a number of free concerts and performances that are open to the public. They have the Community Music School. They work with a number of local venues and institutions, such as Reynolda House, Aperture Theater, SECCA, and others. And their showcase venue, the Stevens Center, is located smack dab in the middle of downtown Winston--very visible and very accessible.

I'm sure it can always get better, but it's not as if they're an island within the city.
Never hear anything from them. Meaning unless you seek things out you hear nothing. It is my opinion based on what I see.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM

^ Not doubting your opinion, but I suppose what you see depends on where you look. UNCSA events are well-publicized in the local "what to do" mags like Relish and YES Weekly, and on their web site. They also advertise bigger events like the Nutcracker on local television stations.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:32 PM

322 posts, read 667,606 times
Since72...I live in Charlotte and find it envious that you have UNCSA at your doorstep with live and cutting edge performance almost year round. Do you get out of the house? It is not difficult to see or hear students work, the Journal runs notices constantly about performances in Relish, the News and Record in Gso tells about the goingson all over the triad in GoTriad or whatever it's called. With Charlotte three times the size of W-S, it doesn't compare with the availablility of arts, music, dance, and theatre running on a constant basis. And I'm not referring to the bigtime national touring shows that are likely to select Charlotte, or Greensboro for their venue. I am envious of the constant array of things to do, see and hear performance-wise from not only UNCSA, but Wake, Salem, WSSU, and the numerous galleries and museums such as SECCA, Reynolda, MESDA, and Delta. I have to drive to Winston-Salem rather frequently just to be inspired by something like Old Salem, MESDA, Reynolda, or Graylyn. Charlotte doesn't have the like.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 AM

137 posts, read 328,332 times
I just returned from taking part in the orientation at UNCSA because my son is just starting there in the filmmaking school. The professors seem to be feeling fairly confident that, despite budget cuts, the film school will stay intact.
By the way, I loved my short visit to the area. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. And it is beautiful there!!!!!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ofus View Post
I just returned from taking part in the orientation at UNCSA because my son is just starting there in the filmmaking school. The professors seem to be feeling fairly confident that, despite budget cuts, the film school will stay intact.
By the way, I loved my short visit to the area. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. And it is beautiful there!!!!!
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit! Just curious--where are you from, and how did your son find out about UNCSA?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,741,790 times
The film school had a big meeting yesterday. We knew, from a letter on the website, that the film school was not closing, but .... the meeting sounded bad.

My daughter's take is that it was not all that bad (relative to what she was prepared for). Things may be slower in process, but they did not address cuts to filming, schedules or whatever.

She was quite relieved and confident.

I wonder if some big name alums are going to step up and help out. I am sure that is way behind the scenes (as it should be).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point