Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 AM

236 posts, read 552,760 times

Advertisements

I agree with the other posters. I would say Greensboro would the better choice. Winston-Salem is a mid-size city with little to do on the weekends. Greensboro has shopping, concerts, a theme park, museums, some nightlife, etc. Your commute to Winston-Salem would be about 38 miles. Depending on where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 AM

85 posts, read 185,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJoyce View Post
I agree with the other posters. I would say Greensboro would the better choice. Winston-Salem is a mid-size city with little to do on the weekends. Greensboro has shopping, concerts, a theme park, museums, some nightlife, etc. Your commute to Winston-Salem would be about 38 miles. Depending on where you live.

Winston has more museums than Greensboring! SECCA, Reynolda House, There are 2 or 3 in Old Salem and there are a couple others at Wake Forest. Ziggy's in Winston has more concerts in the Triad than any other venue. Winston has some nightlife too. I guess Main and Trade are just figments of my imagination. Greensboro has a water park, big whoop! Saying Winston has little to do on weekends compared to Greensboro is simply a lie.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 AM

85 posts, read 185,159 times
To the Op, Please live near where your work is. There is no need to pollute our air and clog our roads.

Thank You.

PS if your job was in Greensboro, I would suggest living in Greensboro.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJoyce View Post
I agree with the other posters. I would say Greensboro would the better choice. Winston-Salem is a mid-size city with little to do on the weekends.
You obviously don't know much about Winston-Salem, do you?

Old 12-03-2011, 02:31 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,281 times
To me there is little difference between the two. I have been up here 6 years and I have yet to find this vibrant nightlife and fast-paceness that some of you are describing....

Old 12-03-2011, 02:49 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I have been up here 6 years and I have yet to find this vibrant nightlife and fast-paceness that some of you are describing....
Maybe I missed it but I don't recall anyone using those terms to describe...
well, to describe anywhere in NC whatsoever at all.

If that is the goal or the standard that needs to be met... you're in trouble.

hth

Old 12-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe I missed it but I don't recall anyone using those terms to describe...
well, to describe anywhere in NC whatsoever at all.

If that is the goal or the standard that needs to be met... you're in trouble.

hth
I was refering to a couple of people who dismissed Winston by saying that Greensboro has a vibrant nightlife. By the way im from Charlotte which has a vibrant nightlife and si does Raleigh to a much lesser extent. This is not a knock on either city but a knock on the posters who are trying to make the cities out to be more than what they are.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:14 PM

322 posts, read 666,931 times
Greensboro has no more 'nightlife' than Winston-Salem, and futhermore, if you want to be shot or mugged at a club or nightspot, Greensboro would be the place to have it happen here lately. ABout every time I visit my parents in the Triad, and watch the local news, there is a shooting or something crime related at a Greensboro nightspot. And this has been ongoing for about the past year or so. I would beg to differ with anyone, anytime, living in Charlotte as I do now, that there is anymore to do in Greensboro compared to Winston-Salem. Alot of people don't know what they're talking about, or don't have the imagination it takes to find something of interest to do in either city. For that matter, I would say that Winston-Salem has more museums than any city in North Carolina, more things going on on a constant basis in regards to the arts, music, performance, and history than any place in North Carolina. Good luck in your decision making.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Greensboro has no more 'nightlife' than Winston-Salem, and futhermore, if you want to be shot or mugged at a club or nightspot, Greensboro would be the place to have it happen here lately. ABout every time I visit my parents in the Triad, and watch the local news, there is a shooting or something crime related at a Greensboro nightspot. And this has been ongoing for about the past year or so. I would beg to differ with anyone, anytime, living in Charlotte as I do now, that there is anymore to do in Greensboro compared to Winston-Salem. Alot of people don't know what they're talking about, or don't have the imagination it takes to find something of interest to do in either city. For that matter, I would say that Winston-Salem has more museums than any city in North Carolina, more things going on on a constant basis in regards to the arts, music, performance, and history than any place in North Carolina. Good luck in your decision making.
Excellent post!!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:12 PM

479 posts, read 835,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man From Utopia View Post
Winston has more museums than Greensboring! SECCA, Reynolda House, There are 2 or 3 in Old Salem and there are a couple others at Wake Forest. Ziggy's in Winston has more concerts in the Triad than any other venue. Winston has some nightlife too. I guess Main and Trade are just figments of my imagination. Greensboro has a water park, big whoop! Saying Winston has little to do on weekends compared to Greensboro is simply a lie.
Winston has more museums than Greensboro?

Yes W-S has SECCA, Reynolda House and Old Salem. Greensboro has the Weatherspoon Museum of Modern Art, Blandwood Mansion and Gardens, Greensboro Historical Museum, Guilford Batteground National Military Park.

Yes W-S has the Wake Forest Museum of Anthropology and SciWorks. Greensboro has the International Civil Rights Center and Museum, and the Natural Science Center of Greensboro, and the Greensboro Childrens Museum.

Winston has Ziggy's, The Garage, and Stevens Center. Greensboro has The Underground, Greene Street, Somewhere Else Tavern, The Blind Tiger, The Clubhouse, The Brass Taps, Carolina Theatre.

Greensboro has 416 Resturants, Winston-Salem 268. What Winston-Salem lacks is a broad range of ethnic and international flavors. Sure, there is an abundance of Mexican, sushi and Chinese takeout. But if you want Middle Eastern, El Salvadoran, Cuban or Vietnamese, you have about one choice in town. Interested in Korean, Jamaican, Brazilian or African? You'll need to get in the car and drive to Greensboro or the Triangle.

Want to go Mountain Biking? There's Hobby Park in W-S. Tanglewood if you drive to Clemmons. Horizon Park if you drive to Kernersville.

Greensboro? You've got Bald Eagle Trail, Country Park, Hagen Stone, Owl's Roost, Reedy Fork, and Wild Turkey.

Yes, Greensboro has Wet and Wild Emerald Point Water Park. A state of the art, Aquatics Center also just recently opened next to the Coliseum. Speaking of? I wonder where the Red Hot Chilli Peppers are playing in January? Could it be Winston-Salem? uh, no. That's right, Greensboring!

Then Greensboro has an International Airport, and a professional Soccer Team, that actually won it's division.

Triad Farmers Market? oh, no that's in Guilford County right next to? Greensboro. Deep Roots, uh Greensboro. EarthFare? Greensboro. Fresh Market and Whole Foods, Winston-Salem and Greensboro; along with Harris Teeter, Lowes, Food Lion, etc. Let's not forget the International Food Markets in Greensboro. Do they have any in Winston-Salem?

Last time I checked Winston-Salem didn't have anything comparable to Friendly Center in Greensboro. Or even New Garden Crossing... Both cities have fine Malls, and Thruway in Winston-Salem is nice; it's just a heck of a lot smaller with no major Anchor retailers.

Want to play pool? Winston-Salem has three places that I know of that are nice. Greensboro has nine.

Want to go to the movies? Winston-Salem has four theatres that I can think of. Greensboro has eight.

Golf? Winston-Salem has two public courses I can think of. Greensboro has five. Plus two driving ranges. I think they're tied for private clubs.

Roof top bars? Greensboro has four. Winston-Salem has one.

Places to go dancing? I can think of ten in Greensboro I'd be willing to go to. Winston-Salem? There's only one.

Microbrewery/Pub/Ale Houses? Greensboro has Natty Greene's, and Winston-Salem has Foothills. There's Liberty Steakhouse Brewery in High Point. Red Oak Brewery was founded in Greensboro. Big Dan's Brew Shed is also in Greensboro.

McCoul's, Cooper's Ale House, J.P. Looney's, Ham's, Olde Towne Draught House, College Hill Sundries, GW Walkers, Chumley's, the Flat Iron provide an interesting variety of bars. Indeed there are more. Big Shotz' in Clemmons is "ok." I'd love to hear some suggestions for Winston-Salem?

Crime rate? All one has to do is look at the Crime Index posted on City Data for Greensboro and Winston Salem. Greensboro's crime index has always been less, inclusive of 2010.

Both cities have minor league baseball teams. Sadly, minor league hockey in the Triad is no more. Greensboro however does have an ice rink downtown, and a youth hockey league that is active.

Want to go boating or fishing? Belews and Randleman Lake are close to Greensboro. The NC Zoo is also very close.

Universities? Wake Forest, NCSA, and W-S State. Salem College, Forsyth Tech. I can't think of any more for W-S?

Greensboro has UNC-G, NC A&T, Guilford College, Greensboro College, Bennett College, Guilford Tech, Strayer University and ECPI.

So indeed there are some things to do in Winston-Salem. Fortunately, there are three weekly Triad publications that list "things to do" for both W-S and Greensboro. Let's see there's Yes! Weekly, Go Triad!, and the Rhinocerous Times. All three of those publications are based in Greensboro. I wonder if that's why there's always more for Greensboro listed as being available to do?

Barn Dinner Theatre? Does Winston-Salem have anything like that? What about the Eastern Music Festival? Both cities have awesome Greek Festivals.

Winston does have the Dixie Classic Fair, I don't think Greensboro has one on that size or scale...if at all.

Comedy Clubs? Greensboro has The Idiot Box and The Comedy Zone. Winston-Salem, there used to be one, but I think it closed?

I hope someone who says there's more or just as much in Winston-Salem will come along. And point out things I have missed or should try?

Last edited by tegota; 12-04-2011 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point