Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 PM

11 posts, read 21,413 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever heard of this? I remember seeing a booth of theirs at the Dixie Classic Fair and being interested, and I was reminded of it when they sent me an e-mail.

For those who don't know, Winston-Salem has approved a plan to replace 11 bridges on I-40. Creative Corridors has, using ideas submitted from local architechs and artists, created designs for all 11 of these bridges. They all look really cool and artistic. And now they're trying to 'lobby' the city council to approve some of these designs.

I agree with the idea of the project, I'm not sure if they'd be able to get the funds for it. Appearances have a lot of effect on how a city is perceived. And the 11 concrete slabs that are being replaced doesn't give someone driving through the city a very good impression. I think it would be awesome if these designs can be put in and people will see them and then think that Winston is an awesome, artistic, city, because it is. I just don't know if these are possible money-wise even with the grants they are getting.

Anyways, here's their website, you can see the designs on there. Has anyone seen this before or have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,183,199 times
I've heard about this, but didn't know too much about it. Looks very cool, and it looks like they have some rather powerful people/organizations on board. Hope it works out.

Thanks for the link, 72!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,377 times
Just a point of minor clarification: the Creative Corridors Coalition has not designed 11 bridges. They have created visionary concepts for the corridors of interest (MLK, US-52, Business 40, and others) including bridges, medians, retaining walls, lighting, etc. These visionary concepts will then be used by the NC DOT to design and engineer artfully designed corridors using their already budgeted funding plus additional funding secured locally and hopefully some federal funds. The City Council has approved a resolution to support the Visionary Master Plan at their November 21 meeting.

To receive monthly updates, you can sign up at [url=http://www.creativecorridors.org/join]Creative Corridors Coalition – Join the Coalition[/url]

By the way, there will be a public exhibition of designs submitted by local artists for the Artful Design Design Competition on January 13 at Associated Artists ([url=http://www.creativecorridors.org/events/design-exhibition/]Creative Corridors Coalition – Public Exhibition of Artful Display Design Competition Entries[/url])

- Jennifer Kiger, Coordinator

Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM

700 posts, read 1,650,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ssd View Post
Has anyone ever heard of this? I remember seeing a booth of theirs at the Dixie Classic Fair and being interested, and I was reminded of it when they sent me an e-mail.

For those who don't know, Winston-Salem has approved a plan to replace 11 bridges on I-40. Creative Corridors has, using ideas submitted from local architechs and artists, created designs for all 11 of these bridges. They all look really cool and artistic. And now they're trying to 'lobby' the city council to approve some of these designs.

I agree with the idea of the project, I'm not sure if they'd be able to get the funds for it. Appearances have a lot of effect on how a city is perceived. And the 11 concrete slabs that are being replaced doesn't give someone driving through the city a very good impression. I think it would be awesome if these designs can be put in and people will see them and then think that Winston is an awesome, artistic, city, because it is. I just don't know if these are possible money-wise even with the grants they are getting.

Anyways, here's their website, you can see the designs on there. Has anyone seen this before or have any thoughts?
First we need to change the appearance of what you see from the roadway. Having a pretty bridge means nothing. Look at Cherry Street between Northwest & 25th. Nice fence with some very nice slum house just on the other side. I really love the look of the slum houses that are boarded up going down MLK and around WSSU. The look of a damaged bridge that really just needs to be taken down and not replaced. The beautiful slum house between the new ballpark and the hospital. The slum homes near the ballpark. The great view of the city yard going down Stadium Dr over to Salem College. The leftover burn out factory off Vargrave.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:01 PM

479 posts, read 837,683 times
I think it's an awesome idea. However, some of the designs as another individual pointed out didn't mesh well with surrounding elements.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 AM

700 posts, read 1,650,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
I think it's an awesome idea. However, some of the designs as another individual pointed out didn't mesh well with surrounding elements.
The Downtown leg.

With the history of W-S Downtown area. It would be very hard (cost) to bring the old look elements in IMO. It would be nice to see the old style stone arc bridges (such as those on the Blue Ridge Parkway) crossing over Bus. 40. Just not cost effective. The modern style of high pillars and long flowing wires. Just does not blend with the W-S area. A smart approach is shaped concrete. permanently remove the following Bridges: Church St., S. Spruce, Green St (damaged already). Widen the roadway to six instead of 4 lanes. Replace with single span bridges or a least center supported start and finish (the ends) supported by walled retainers this would leaned to move to more productive space under the bridge span:S. Main, S. Cherry, S. Marshall, Broad St., Peters Creek Pkwy should be these types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point