Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,370 times

Advertisements

White man married to black woman with two kids. Thinking about relocating to NC. I see that Chapel Hill may be the most welcoming city. Any thoughts on Greensboro or Asheville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Chapel Hill is the most "liberal" city in NC (along with Carrboro and Asheville) but really, mixed-race couples are no big deal in any urban or suburban area here (I'm not saying it IS a big deal in more rural areas, just that I have no info). Durham is actually the most recially-diverse city, but really, go where you can find a job and your family will be happy. You are unlikely to encounter ostracism in most metro areas (though there are always the occasional jerks anywhere).

Old 07-22-2013, 04:10 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Living in Greensboro I haven't seen or heard of any agression or such directed at mixed race couples.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:53 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Sad that the OP would even need to ask this question in 2013, but I agree with the above posters. In all larger towns and cities, interracial couples are becoming more and more common so you should have no problems at all. And even in the smaller towns I visit I see interracial couples where they used to be rare. Unfortunately I think the racial divide is still very much present in many small towns, so even if you're accepted you'll likely find that neighborhoods, churches, and social organizations are still very segregated. This could result in awkward or uncomfortable situations for you as a couple and for your children. In larger towns and cities you'll see much more integration, although we still have a long way to go in many areas. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
What is really sad is that op did not do a search.

There are billions of threads on mixed couples moving to NC

They all say the same thing. No problem, some ass may something to you in the boonies, but they are stupid and they don't matter.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Greensboro and Winston Salem are similar to Durham in my opinion, and the OP will feel as comfortable in any of those choices.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:12 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
The more urban you go, the better. There is a cultural difference between the rural towns and larger cities. You may get the stares unfortunately in the rural towns but mixed couple are quite common in places like Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro or Winston-Salem.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The more urban you go, the better. There is a cultural difference between the rural towns and larger cities. You may get the stares unfortunately in the rural towns but mixed couple are quite common in places like Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro or Winston-Salem.
You can get stares in a rural town being white.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 PM

231 posts, read 712,781 times
What TV shows has OP been watching that would prompt him to even ask this question post-1980?

Your mixed-race status will draw as much notice in any NC city as it would in NYC or LA.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,559 times
Default OP da Man

((lol))
Well... I'll put a vote in FOR the OP.
He's doing his job as a husband and protector of his family.

The only negative looks you'll get is from empty, knuckle-headed haters .... black and white.
You know the type... people who've allowed themselves to live repressed, un-lived, and un-loved lives?
Yeah.. those.

Thumb your nose at them. (Not literally ... don't waste your time... because they'd love to externalize their self-hatred.) They're pretty much idiots who've never read a book in their lives.

But I've only been here a short time and North Carolina is wonderful. (Compared to California.) If you're standing in line in a store and someone is trying to make you feel uncomfortable, either smile at them (give 'em some love) or lean over and kiss your wife. Don't let misery get you for company.

This place is loaded with universities, hospitals, prior military vets who've experienced the thought of dying for one another regardless of color. Despite what's going on in politics right now, this is a pretty darn good place. "Walk by faith and not by fear" dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point