Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 PM

56 posts, read 224,002 times

Advertisements

There is a house for sale on Emerald St. The 1400 block. I have never been to the house, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the neighborhood.I have to make a 3 hr drive to see it. It's economical, but I'm afraid the neighborhood might be risky. Can anyone help me? Please..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 12:22 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,038,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaburris View Post
There is a house for sale on Emerald St. The 1400 block.
Being a bit of a mapquest/flashearth/google earth geek, I'm always peering down from overheard at different parts of the country

I plugged that into flashearth dot com and it looks like an older neighborhood, near a busy road, somewhat buffered by a copse of trees. It's close to an area where there appear to be denser housing - apartments or condos, maybe. Not sure if you want to be close to an area of transient housing. Mind that, in Winston-Salem, older housing is what it is. There hasn't been much of the gentrification/revitalization of older neighborhoods that one sees in other cities. And W-S isn't such a hot market that people want to move here, even if all they have is something with a roof and walls. Many of the older, cheaper neighborhoods get turned into rental areas, immigrant clusters, or are one generation of buyers away from becoming run down. I plugged that street into realtor dot com and came up with a house for sale, low price, built in 1928. Looking at the picture, all I can do is pronounce the area "iffy".

If you are interested in W-S, 3 hour drive or not, it would be better to come here and scope the area. The city has a mix of neighborhoods with older houses set right next to froufy McMansionvilles as well as plain old slum areas. There are million dollar condos being built in an area where drug dealers and hookers hang out at night. It's a city that is seeing some weird development and would be best viewed personally.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:12 PM

222 posts, read 936,980 times
I would not live in that area.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Can you tell me why you wouldn't want to live there? Is there something I should know? I looked up all the patrol car visits to the area and don't see very many at all. Most are on N. Cherry st

Old 11-17-2007, 04:18 PM

222 posts, read 936,980 times
just that part of town is the worst of the four quadrants concerning crime and like silverwing said, that particular area is "iffy". You should visit and see for yourself to form your own opinion. Of course what I say is my opinion and anyone may certainly disagree.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:47 PM

8 posts, read 37,429 times
I just moved here and came in for a day from Ohio to scope out houses. I spent two nights and looked at about a dozen houses in the day I was here. Mind you I had a one year old with me too (and it's about an 8 hour drive down). DEFINITELY worth coming in and looking around so you can get a feel for the area. If you are relocating for work, get your new job to suggest areas too. I, coincidentally, ended up renting a house down the street from two colleagues! Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:56 PM

93 posts, read 355,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
I would not live in that area.
ditto

Old 11-20-2007, 06:35 AM

Thank you to all! You caused me to pause and do some more investigating. You are correct, that area would be horrible. I am fortunate in the housing dept. I guess. Some people we know, just offered their rental house to us with an option. Just outside of Conover. And it has everything we wanted and more. We'll have a 15 x 30 shop, a deck, a gazebo, a sunroom, and a fenced yard for my dog. I'l have a place to make my candles and Kevin will be able to get back to making his wood tankards, Yea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point