Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM

42 posts, read 111,134 times

Advertisements

There is a strong chance that I will be accepting a position in Winston Salem within the next month. I have a few questions about the town, mostly regarding best place to live. Here are a few things that might help to know what I'm looking for. I currently live in a small mountain town in the Rocky Mountains and am an avid outdoor-recreationalist. My main recreation interests are mountain and road biking, flat water kayaking, hiking and backpacking and skiing. Although I know there are more opportunities for those things where I currently live, the work situation as well as other things (better job, desire for 4 seasons, closer to family, etc) are pulling me to W-S.

I have previously lived in a big city on the East Coast, so being in a more "urban" environment does not bother me and I enjoy the conveniences of walking to restaurants, movies, theater, live music, etc; however, I prefer to have a home with a bit of yard (but prefer wooded lot so I don't have a lot of yard to maintain). I will be working in the UNCSA area, and as such I am considering the Old Salem/ West Salem, Washington Park area, but also am interested in the West End side of downtown. If possible, I would like to bike commute to work. Is that safe as far as traffic goes?

Are there any areas that are nearby parks (for recreation) but bike commuting distance (say approximately 5-10 miles one way) away from Old Salem and have nice views or on a lake?

I should add that I do not have children so the schools don't matter.

Thanks for your help and I hope to look at some neighborhoods when I am visiting W-S in Feb.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,169,128 times
Hi Backpacker, welcome to Winston-Salem!

I'll try to address some of your questions. I think you'll find there are plenty of outdoor activities around here. Salem Lake has a nice bike trail (easily accessible from Old Salem), and Tanglewood Park is nice for both mountain and road bikes. We have Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock state parks nearby, and the Uwharrie National Forest about an hour away. You can be in the Appalachians in about an hour or so, where there are many awesome recreational opportunities for biking, hiking, skiing, kayaking, and much more.

As to neighborhoods, it sounds like you're starting in the right place. I understand there are some very good deals to be found in the West Salem/Washington Park areas--West End will be more pricey. You can easily bike to UNCSA from these areas. Traffic is generally a bit lighter on that side of town and there are backroads to avoid the main arteries, but of course it all depends on where you end up living.

Spend some time searching the threads here if you haven't already. There's lots of useful information for potential new residents. Feel free to ask if you have more questions. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,545,969 times
I completely agree with Arbyunc.

We lived for 10 years in a townhome near the intersection of Marshall Street and Brookstown Ave and LOVED the neighborhood. We biked to Salem Lake frequently. I walked my dog every day in Old Salem and/or on the Strollway. If you don't have to have a yard there is a wide variety of townhomes/condos/lofts in a wide price range in the S. Marshall Street/Southeast Gateway corridor. For the area in which you are looking, walking/biking distance to Ollie's Bakery and Mary's Of Course is equally important.

Lucky you! We moved from W-S a year and a half ago due to hubby's job transfer. We're in a very nice city, but I miss W-S and would move back in a heartbeat.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 AM

Thanks, for the information. If I could be even more specific... would you be able to recommend a location that backs up to a really nice park--so something very wooded with perhaps some walking/ running/ hiking trails, but is close enough to walk/ bike ride to a community with restaurants, shops, library or something like that?

I've looked at some of the mapquest aerial views of some of the parks--Washington Park, Hanes Park. Some of them look primarily like baseball fields only-are there other things there too? I know Salem Lake has a lot to offer, but when looking at the homes for sale that are adjacent to Salem Lake, I'm not sure that that's the kind of area I'm looking for.

I know Hobby Park has a some GREAT mountain biking trails (I've ridden them before), and I looked at homes online over there, but it doesn't appear to really be much in walking distance--to "community feel" other than housing developments--would that be a correct statement?

Thanks again!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:40 AM

201 posts, read 594,787 times
Hobby Park is sort of isolated away from very many houses in my opinion. The main road it is off of is very congested amd narrow, not a good bike road. If you want to be within biking distance of NCSA then your best bet is near downtown. I know they have added a lot of condo's and a park near Old Salem. Keep in mind the neighborhood surrounding NCSA is not very safe at night but Old Salem area is okay.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Default safe?

When you say "not very safe at night," can you be more specific?

Crime? Hoods hanging around on street corners that are intimidating?
Why isn't it safe?

What about the nice homes and neighborhood around Washington Park--is that okay?

Old 02-01-2010, 04:04 PM

To be honest I haven't been to either area in YEARS. But both areas are older neighborhoods which at one point were known for drug dealings, crime, etc... However, I do know that the area around Old Salem has improved tremendously over the years. Very nice housing there now. Washington Park I don't know.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:08 PM

7 posts, read 16,288 times
We lived in WS for 2 months and had to move out. It was terrible!!! It felt really run down and we didn't feel safe. Our apartment complex was rather nice but the moment you left it was terrible. We lived in the crown club apartments.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diadins View Post
We lived in WS for 2 months and had to move out. It was terrible!!! It felt really run down and we didn't feel safe. Our apartment complex was rather nice but the moment you left it was terrible. We lived in the crown club apartments.
Unfortunately apt complexes have all walks of life living there plus they stick them in wherever they can fit them in.

That is why we live in Davidson Co. - it is far enough out for large lots (have over an acre), friendly neighbors, country feel. Yet minutes from hospitals, mall, my job, etc...

The east and south sides of W/S do have sections that have been rundown over the years. The north and west side are better but no matter where you are in Forsyth you need to research the neighborhood well.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:12 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,169,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadins View Post
Are you serious? Crowne Club on Country Club Road, right? What was run down about that area, and where were you that you didn't feel safe? The "moment" you leave the apartments, you have a fire station, a bank, and a day care right in front of you, and an elementary school just down the street. This is terrible and unsafe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point