Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:43 PM

774 posts, read 1,860,155 times

Advertisements

Greensboro has some good things about it... but there's a subtle gritty, lower vibe to the city. Unhappier people picking at each other?

W-S just feels nicer.
I really wouldn't discount MrRational's advice. There are soooo many choices around here.
And the way the Real Estate assessors are doing their job lately, there's no guarantee your property value will rise all that much ... or even lose value. I'd say rent for at least six months.

Make it an adventure for everyone. A fact-finding treasure hunt.
That said, I've seen at least one walking, hiking trail in Greensboro. (I'm new here too.) You have to drive almost everywhere in Greensboro.... it's all so spread out... and there's good things about that too.. 'cept I'm definitely gaining weight.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 05:45 PM

27 posts, read 61,527 times
If your job is in Winston, then definitely move to Winston rather than Greensboro. Since you have kids, you should target the area around the following schools. I'll focus primarily on elementary since that's what I know and because you mentioned your kids "only eat noodles" it makes them sound youngish.

Jefferson Elementary (serves Western Winston and some Pfafftown)
Vienna Elementary (mostly Pfafftown and northern Lewisville)
Meadowlark Elementary ( also serves Western Winston)
Sherwood Elementary (serves Sherwood Forest and Western Buena Vista -- a very affluent school)
Whitaker Elementary (serves Buena Vista -- also very affluent)
Clemmons Elementary - Good, but not as good as the 5 listed above
Lewisville Elementary - (see above)

For middle schools, I think the best ones are either Jefferson Middle or Meadowlark Middle. For high schools, you should focus on the districts of Reagan, Mt. Tabor, or West Forsyth.

Ultimately, the schools are the best indicator of where you'll want to live. Schools around here really depend on the PTA for a lot of improvements, so the schools that are well off are not surprisingly located in more affluent areas. If you haven't already, check out the NC school report card website to help you decide.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 PM

6,166 posts, read 7,249,635 times
I agree if your job is in Winston, live there. However I just have to say that Greensboro is just as nice as Winston-Salem and has great family oriented neighborhoods. The two cities are of similar size and demographics. Winston-Salem has nice rolling hills while Greensboro has a better park and trail system.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 AM

322 posts, read 668,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
....... while Greensboro has a better park and trail system.
Oh really? By the determination of whom?

I am going to go ahead and assume you have never heard of, or been to: Bethabara, Mill Creek Greenway and Waterbog, Hanes Park, Washington Park, the strollway from downtown to Old Salem, Reynolda, Tanglewood Park (over 1000 acres I think), Donnaha, or Salem Lake Greenway and Bike Trail.

Last edited by wsnc62; 04-22-2014 at 07:15 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 AM

333 posts, read 80,149 times
I agree with looking in the Jefferson Elementary or the Meadowlark Elem/Middle districts. There are several newer neighborhoods on Meadowlark Rd that would meet all of your wants. They back up to the Greenway, safe place to ride bikes or jog, great schools, and would be in the price range.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,054,975 times
Quote:
I agree if your job is in Winston, live there. However I just have to say that Greensboro is just as nice as Winston-Salem and has great family oriented neighborhoods. The two cities are of similar size and demographics. Winston-Salem has nice rolling hills while Greensboro has a better park and trail system.
I believe the decision has been made, so the desperate attempt at promoting Greensboro as better than Winston Salem is futile.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 PM

lol dont let me name all the parks, trails and gardens in Greensboro including the only greenway that circles a downtown in the nation.

but if you want to see absurd Greensboro bashing and W-S boosting where there is talk of W-S being a world class city and so on look over on the WSTB forum. Its like people who like to hear themselves talk and convince themselves that W-S is the epicenter. and the GPAC envy over there is out of this world. Why can't people appreciate the great things in all of the cities in the Triad? Just admit that both Greensboro and Winston-Salem are great places to live, work and play. Having a few more downtown skyscrapers or a few more shopping malls doesn't make any city better than the other.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-22-2014 at 11:39 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,411,556 times
Quote:
lol dont let me name all the parks, trails and gardens in Greensboro including the only greenway that circles a downtown in the nation.

but if you want to see absurd Greensboro bashing and W-S boosting where there is talk of W-S being a world class city and so on look over on the WSTB forum. Its like people who like to hear themselves talk and convince themselves that W-S is the epicenter. and the GPAC envy over there is out of this world. Why can't people appreciate the great things in all of the cities in the Triad? Just admit that both Greensboro and Winston-Salem are great places to live, work and play. Having a few more downtown skyscrapers or a few more shopping malls doesn't make any city better than the other.
Right. Agreed. So can you also stop?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,054,975 times
Quote:

The point is that the person asking the question has made his/her decision, but you continue to make statements proclaiming GSO's prominence over WS. It's over dude - the decision has been made and it's not in your favor.

Let me correct you on something...the forum you refer to is a WS development forum. Both positive and negative is discussed there, but what isn't allowed in a GSO cheerleader disrupting the discussions. I know you're upset but try to realize that it IS personal.

No one has to admit anything of the sort about GSO and WS. I prefer one over the other for a long list of reasons. You obviously prefer differently as your statements above reveal. Don't try to throw a barb and then say "but they are both such great places to live". You can't get by with being highly critical and agreeable in the same post because your real colors will always give you away.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The point is that the person asking the question has made his/her decision, but you continue to make statements proclaiming GSO's prominence over WS. It's over dude - the decision has been made and it's not in your favor.

Let me correct you on something...the forum you refer to is a WS development forum. Both positive and negative is discussed there, but what isn't allowed in a GSO cheerleader disrupting the discussions. I know you're upset but try to realize that it IS personal.

No one has to admit anything of the sort about GSO and WS. I prefer one over the other for a long list of reasons. You obviously prefer differently as your statements above reveal. Don't try to throw a barb and then say "but they are both such great places to live". You can't get by with being highly critical and agreeable in the same post because your real colors will always give you away.

Did you not read my post? I said if the person works in Winston they should live there. There was no attempt to convince anyone to pick Greensboro over Winston-Salem.

GSO cheerleading? It became disruptive when Greensboro projects and so forth were finally being posted in the GREENSBORO section of the site. How is that disrupting discussions?, enlighten me. But when I read people posting negative comments about Greensboro's planned performing arts center and how Winston-Salem should build one that trumps Greensboro's, real colors do indeed give people away. The site itself is great but people posting there aren't projecting a good image of the people of Winston-Salem. All I sensed there was bitterness and jealousy where people take constant jabs at Greensboro. The vast majority of Winston-Salem residents dont feel that way at all. The negativity is likely a reason there aren't a lot of posters.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-23-2014 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point