Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 08:05 AM

36 posts, read 51,052 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! SO, i'm looking to purchase my first home in the Winston-Salem area and i've run into an issue. The house is in a wonderful area that I feel 110% safe in. Great scenery, great location, great amenities..ect. BUT, the high school assigned to the house is terrible. The elementary and middle schools have great ratings and reviews, one being a good bit above standard, but the high school has a "Below Standard, 2" rating. And with living here for nearly my entire life, I already know the schools reputation without even reading internet ratings.

My question is, is there any possible way to change this? Can one change what high school is assigned for your children? Or once its done, it's done? Someone told me a few years back that it was possible, however is was a rather large yearly cost to do so. I'm not 100% sure if that was even true, but either way I would like to know for this, and future reference.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,634,238 times
It's my understanding that your only other option is a charter school. Most areas of NC do not offer school choice beyond charter schools.

I heard there is a proposal to allow one to choose any school in the state, regardless of where one is assigned (provided the chosen school has capacity and some other restrictions), but that is just a proposal, so I wouldn't count on that ever happening.

We specifically ruled out some homes due to the quality of the schools. We ended up buying in northeast Davidson County, and the quality of the schools was a significant factor.

edit: the statewide school choice draft legislation was just tabled yesterday. Personally, I'd like to see students be allowed to choose any school within their district.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:53 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,411,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
It's my understanding that your only other option is a charter school. Most areas of NC do not offer school choice beyond charter schools.

I heard there is a proposal to allow one to choose any school in the state, regardless of where one is assigned (provided the chosen school has capacity and some other restrictions), but that is just a proposal, so I wouldn't count on that ever happening.

We specifically ruled out some homes due to the quality of the schools. We ended up buying in northeast Davidson County, and the quality of the schools was a significant factor.

edit: the statewide school choice draft legislation was just tabled yesterday. Personally, I'd like to see students be allowed to choose any school within their district.
I'm not 100% sure that's true for Winston-Salem/Forsyth. I think there is some element of school choice in Winston but it depends on there being available spots in the school. Maybe that doesn't matter for high schools. I'll let someone with direct personal experience chime in.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,169,658 times
There are a limited number of spaces for students who wish to attend a school outside their assigned zone. More info here.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:56 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,634,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'm not 100% sure that's true for Winston-Salem/Forsyth. I think there is some element of school choice in Winston but it depends on there being available spots in the school. Maybe that doesn't matter for high schools. I'll let someone with direct personal experience chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
There are a limited number of spaces for students who wish to attend a school outside their assigned zone. More info here.
Thanks for providing correct information.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:30 PM

199 posts, read 205,431 times
What school is in question?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 PM

36 posts, read 51,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Thanks for the info everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatches View Post
What school is in question?
North Forsyth High School in Winston Salem.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:28 PM

123 posts, read 278,634 times
Hi there, My two kids have gotten into schools outside of their school district. In all honesty it was not that hard? we had to send in an appeal for my son to go to the high school we wanted, we got a reply back within a week granting our request.

I would deal with this asap, as I think all appeals have to be in by May 19th.

Just out of interest which schools are you looking at? Some schools can be in a bad area, yet have great results. My son is just finishing his 8th grade at Hanes Magnet, it ended up being a great school, with really good teachers. We were very happy. Also my younger daugther is at Moore magnet, another great school in W-S. I'd take a tour of the schools you are interested in. Also if you are of the religious faith, there are some great faith based schools that are affordable if you are concerned about public high schools.

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 PM

63 posts, read 99,815 times
After they opened Reagan, North went to hell in a hand basket. I was of the last class before Reagan opened and even before then parents were transferring their kids to Tabor or if they could provide the transportation, they went to West instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point