Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 AM

4 posts, read 7,710 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a first time user and I have a question I couldn't really find addressed anywhere. Basically, I live in North Carolina and just got hired at a new job. I'm relocating for the job which is in Mt. Airy, very close to the NC - Virginia border. I found a house I like in Virginia about 20 minutes from my job in NC. So down to my question, my girlfriend is pregnant and will be moving with me. She has medicaid in NC. If we move to VA can she keep her medicaid in NC and just give birth in a hospital in NC or does she have to transfer her medicaid to VA. Depending on the answer this is kind of a deal breaker as to whether I take the house in VA or not. Thanks for any info that is given and let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 06:00 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,458,477 times
The laws for public programs such as medicaid can vary from state to state however I'm pretty sure in order to avoid people drawing benefits in more then one state, they require your benefits come from the state you live in, your official address. Is there some reason you don't want to seek treatment in Virginia??
Maybe she prefers the doctor she has had all along, I guess its possible to maybe change her address to that of a parent that lives in NC. but you are risking getting in trouble for that.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:08 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,085,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretchy View Post
If we move to VA can she keep her medicaid in NC and just give birth in a hospital in NC or does she have to transfer her medicaid to VA. Depending on the answer this is kind of a deal breaker as to whether I take the house in VA or not.
I am also very sure that one has to be a resident of the state where one claims benefits. Virginia will certainly have different criteria, and she would have to re-apply in Virginia. I don't know if there is some window of coverage if one leaves a state during pregnancy, but she should check with the eligibility office in North Carolina.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:20 AM

4 posts, read 7,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The laws for public programs such as medicaid can vary from state to state however I'm pretty sure in order to avoid people drawing benefits in more then one state, they require your benefits come from the state you live in, your official address. Is there some reason you don't want to seek treatment in Virginia??
Maybe she prefers the doctor she has had all along, I guess its possible to maybe change her address to that of a parent that lives in NC. but you are risking getting in trouble for that.
We wanted to avoid transferring Medicaid to another state because we heard it could be a lengthy process and she's already 7 months pregnant. We had a terrible experience getting her medicaid in this state in general (they didn't send the card out until she was already 5 and a half months pregnant.) As for keeping her address in NC at her parents house - I'm not sure if that would work either. Her parents live in Wake County and we would be seeing a doctor in Surry County I believe.

Regardless I'm going to call the Medicaid offices on Monday. I just wanted to get a few opinions on it before I called. Thank you for the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point