Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 AM

17 posts, read 20,812 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relocating from just outside NYC to North Carolina. Time to for a little restart in life. While I am finding all the areas I am looking at reasonably affordable for housing, I am a little worried about the best place for employment. I am an experienced bookkeeper of 25+ years and recently closed my own bookkeeping business. Does anyone have any input on the areas that seem easier to get a job in? the areas I am looking in are Raleigh, Greenville and Greensboro and if someone wants to add the list of places I should consider please do. Also, which of these areas have the best fresh water fishing?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,233,412 times
If you are looking for areas where its easier to get a job, here is how I would rank the three cities you listed

1 Raleigh
2 Greensboro
3 Greenville

Also could you give us an idea of what kind of city you want to move to? All three have different vibes. I did read where you mentioned fresh water fishing. Lake Jordan near Raleigh is a great recreational lake for that. Greensboro area has Lake Townsend and Randleman Lake but Lake Jordan is bigger than either of those lakes and is better for fishing.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:14 AM

Thank you so much for the input. My number one concern is finding a job.General accounting is my backround but without a college degree. Office experience, food industry are other areas I have much experience in. I am really just looking for a place where the people are nice and respectful, I can earn a living, affordable housing and close to city life but not right in it. I dont like congestion...lived in it all my life and its time to slow down. Oh, and yes, fishing. My only peace of mind. Im not asking for too much, am I?? lol

Old 07-19-2014, 05:47 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,233,412 times
I think you'll find nice people in any of those cities. The best job opportunities will be in the Raleigh area and there are some very nice suburban communities surrounding the city. But I'm sure you can find those kind of jobs in the Greensboro area too. Greenville is much smaller than Raleigh and Greensboro. Based on what you are looking for I'd say the Raleigh area but I would do some research on all of the cities to see which one is the best fit.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,396,071 times
Just to be clear, Greenville, NC, not Greenville, SC?

Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,631,174 times
I've lived in Greenville, NC; about 40 minutes northeast of Raleigh; now 25 minutes southwest of Winston-Salem. I grew up in the NYC suburbs (northern Westchester County)

I like the Raleigh area; wife likes that area best. But you'll get more home for your money in the Triad. Greenville was too small for us, especially my wife. I knew when my job there ended, that we'd move - that's when we moved to the outskirts of Raleigh.

Any reason you haven't considered Charlotte?

Wherever you end up, welcome!

Old 07-21-2014, 05:56 PM

Thank you!!..I can be happy almost anywhere..as long as I can provide for myself and I can fish. Finding a job is what concerns me the most.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:06 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,612,826 times
Again, to clarify, do you mean Greenville, SC or Greenville, NC?

Greenville, SC competes very well with the Triad (BMW, Michelin, GE all have a huge presence in the Greenville area) - the Upstate is also home to 3 gigantic lakes (Hartwell, Keowee, Jocassee). Additionally, Greenville is the closest major city (in either North or South Carolina) to Asheville (little over one hour north). The metro population of the Upstate is nearly identical to the Triad. Greenville, NC is much smaller, offers less opportunity, and lacks the "feel" of the Piedmont of NC/SC.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:31 PM

I meant Greenville NC..but now you have me thinking about SC. Better job opportunities in SC you think?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:51 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,631,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alulyah View Post
I meant Greenville NC..but now you have me thinking about SC. Better job opportunities in SC you think?
Better in Greenville, SC than Greenville, NC. Don't know how that area has been faring compared to NC metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point