Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 11:21 AM

19 posts, read 32,239 times

Advertisements

It's been a rough year for me. As many of you probably know, Michigan has a struggling economy, and brutal winters. It was primarily the frigid, dark, endless winters that compelled me to leave the state after I finished up at my university last year. And while San Diego has beautiful weather, the cost of living is very high, and there are very few jobs available. Here, even customer service jobs want people with bachelor's degrees. I finally found one that pays 9 dollars an hour, but won't pay the bills. I've lived here for 6 months and have yet to find a job that pays over 9 dollars an hour. Even with my degree, research, and volunteer and work experience. I try not to let it, but it makes me feel bad about myself.

I have family in Mcleansville, and that is my next stop. I intend to make the drive next month. I feel worn, and very sad that it isn't plausible to be in California right now. I don't know if I'm going to need to go back to school, or what my future entails. So I'm looking for some encouragement and hope. I would love to hear some nice things about North Carolina. What is the atmosphere like? And I'd like to know a little about the weather. Is it gray and freezing in the winter? Do the winters last 7 months like they do in michigan? How do get out there and secure a job? Thanks everyone for any positive thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,632,744 times
I love San Diego - graduated from USD in '87. Lived there about 12.5 years. Now with a family, it's highly unlikely I'd return (due to the high cost of living). We moved to North Carolina in 2005, and really like it here.

You're not going to beat SD weather, but I enjoy the climate here. Definite change of seasons. That means some minimal snow and freezing temperatures - NOTHING like Michigan. Hot, humid summers - but nothing like Florida. The mountains of western NC blow away those in SoCal. But you're much farther from the beach of course in most areas of NC.

Unfortunately, the economy isn't exactly booming. It's recommended to have a job before moving. I know that's a challenge, as a lot of employers won't bother with out of state candidates. I would use the family's McLeansville address on resumes.

We had lived in Portland, OR for 5.5 years before moving to NC in 2005. I forgot what is was likely to see the sun in winter after spending that much time in the Pacific Northwest. Last winter was unusually cold. A few inches of snow (depending on what part of NC) is average.

I like the Triad (Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point) for a lower cost of housing compared to the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) or Charlotte area. But Raleigh is a good choice - it's going to be slightly more "hip" than the Triad. Just don't expect the same level of activities to be available compared to SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point