Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 05:54 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,195,822 times

Advertisements

Winston Salem is a good bit "earthier" in my opinion and seemingly draws those more conscious of a natural lifestyle than Greensboro, well-evidenced by the fact Winston Salem had natural foods grocers well before Greensboro. The Ardmore and West End neighborhoods are ground zero for those who prefer that type of lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 AM

133 posts, read 281,340 times
Ok, thanks a lot. How is Ardmore as far as crime and for young families?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:52 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,195,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC77 View Post
Ok, thanks a lot. How is Ardmore as far as crime and for young families?
There are a lot of young families and it's quite safe. Below is a link for local crime in the area where you'll notice a vast majority of the 911 calls/reported crimes are for alarms going off, barking dogs and more minor nuisances. There's a great sense of neighborhood in Ardmore and people tend to watch out for one another.

Winston Salem Crime: Crime Map

Old 08-02-2014, 04:27 PM

Thanks, you're really knowledgable about NC in general. Much appreciated once again!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,422,403 times
There is some petty property crime in Ardmore. Occasional vehicle breakins and things getting taken from porches, etc. It's no worse than most in-town neighborhoods, but if that makes you squeamish, you should know about it. Violent crime isn't an issue there, though. I've never heard of any muggings or anything like that, and besides one very tragic domestic situation a few years ago, I'm not aware of any homicides.

Still, for what you're looking for, the good (proximity to natural food stores, walkable areas, architecture, variety) probably outweighs the bad, but that's obviously up to you.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:55 AM

58 posts, read 99,272 times
I would recommend looking in the northwest corner of the city, in the area around Earthfare, Country Park/Guilford Military Park or maybe a closer to friendly center. That will put you in reach of several options for natural grocery stores (Earthfare, Whole Foods, Fresh Market) as well as good outdoor areas with lots of trails, etc. It is also a low crime area.

Downtown's art scene is coming along, though I wouldn't call it thriving just yet. So you could also consider checking out the apartments at the Greenway at Fisher Park, that puts you near Deep Roots Market and some of the artsier vibe places downtown-- Elsewhere, the Green Bean, and Scuppernongs would probably be worth checking out based on your comments. The greenway is coming along as well which gives you some outdoor options. Downside is you probably risk a little more in terms of crime but probably still relatively safe based on the development that has taken place in recent years.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:24 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,600,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2010 View Post
I would recommend looking in the northwest corner of the city, in the area around Earthfare, Country Park/Guilford Military Park or maybe a closer to friendly center. That will put you in reach of several options for natural grocery stores (Earthfare, Whole Foods, Fresh Market) as well as good outdoor areas with lots of trails, etc. It is also a low crime area.

Downtown's art scene is coming along, though I wouldn't call it thriving just yet. So you could also consider checking out the apartments at the Greenway at Fisher Park, that puts you near Deep Roots Market and some of the artsier vibe places downtown-- Elsewhere, the Green Bean, and Scuppernongs would probably be worth checking out based on your comments. The greenway is coming along as well which gives you some outdoor options. Downside is you probably risk a little more in terms of crime but probably still relatively safe based on the development that has taken place in recent years.
The art scene downtown is organized based. If the OP is looking for spontaneous, pop-up events that doesn't exist, but First Friday and another event held in the parking lot behind The Worx are good places to start.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 AM

Ok thank you guys so much. That gives me a great starting point.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:15 PM

89 posts, read 113,007 times
The arts scene is not great if you're hoping to have it as a source of income. I have a friend who does wonderful stained glass and she works very hard and sells pretty cheap and makes some money at fairs and events but more so on the coast (Wilmington area) than here. The fine arts weren't great to begin with and have not recovered from the recession and we lost several galleries. Those that remain are really struggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point