Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:15 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
... wow, do you have any renderings? also poor HP... was that seriously so bad that they had to scrap the entire project..
I'll see what I can dig up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 PM

129 posts, read 186,527 times
I'm an outsider, but considering the Triad's slower growth than the Triangle or Charlotte, I don't see any Triad city getting anything more than 10 stories in the near future, demand doesn't seem to be especially high and your downtowns have plenty of room for mid/low rise infill developments for the near future. I mean Raleigh only has five high-rises in the works (SkyHouse (22fl), North Hills Tower II, (19fl), Edison Office (20fl 310ft), Charter Square South Tower (11fl 215ft) and Charter Square North Tower (previously 22fl, but it's being redesigned)). The whole of NC is in a skyscraper slump with the exception of a few projects in Charlotte. But I hope I'm wrong, because skyscrapers are a hobby of mine.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:45 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_ID View Post
I'm an outsider, but considering the Triad's slower growth than the Triangle or Charlotte, I don't see any Triad city getting anything more than 10 stories in the near future, demand doesn't seem to be especially high and your downtowns have plenty of room for mid/low rise infill developments for the near future. I mean Raleigh only has five high-rises in the works (SkyHouse (22fl), North Hills Tower II, (19fl), Edison Office (20fl 310ft), Charter Square South Tower (11fl 215ft) and Charter Square North Tower (previously 22fl, but it's being redesigned)). The whole of NC is in a skyscraper slump with the exception of a few projects in Charlotte. But I hope I'm wrong, because skyscrapers are a hobby of mine.
Wouldn't you say that most of the US has been in a bit of a skyscraper slump since '08?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Wouldn't you say that most of the US has been in a bit of a skyscraper slump since '08?
Yep but things are definitely starting to ramp back up again.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
... wow, do you have any renderings? also poor HP... was that seriously so bad that they had to scrap the entire project..
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I'll see what I can dig up.
Did a little digging around and couldn't turn anything up. If I remember correctly the death of the project was quiet, unlike it's announcement which made news all over the area. Again, if memory serves me correct the building is located on the SW corner of S Hamilton/ E Green.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:25 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,229,334 times
Well if a person considers a skyscraper of at least 10 stories, Greensboro may get the next one if you count the planned Wyndham hotel which is proposed to be at least 12 stories. The definition of a skyscraper can be different from city to city. I think the first skyscraper, which was built in Chicago was around 10 stories. In terms of office towers, I don't see a lot of growth in that area for Winston-Salem considering much of the push for office space is going into the Innovation Quarter which consists of low and mid-rises. Downtown Greensboro is going to struggle as well getting new office towers. City leaders still haven't figured out how to make companies and office developers choose downtown over other areas of the city. The problem is the costs associated with building downtown and parking challenges. Its still much cheaper to build outward as oppose to upward and city leaders need to start some kind of incentive program which will level the playing field. But to be honest there isn't a big demand for a lot of office space in either city right now. Its been years since either city has seen a new office tower.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-29-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Well if a person considers a skyscraper of at least 10 stories, Greensboro may get the next one if you count the planned Wyndham hotel which is proposed to be at least 12 stories. The definition of a skyscraper can be different from city to city. I think the first skyscraper, which was built in Chicago was around 10 stories. In terms of office towers, I don't see a lot of growth in that area for Winston-Salem considering much of the push for office space is going into the Innovation Quarter which consists of low and mid-rises. Downtown Greensboro is going to struggle as well getting new office towers. City leaders still haven't figured out how to make companies and office developers choose downtown over other areas of the city. The problem is the costs associated with building downtown and parking challenges. Its still much cheaper to build outward as oppose to upward and city leaders need to start some kind of incentive program which will level the playing field. But to be honest there isn't a big demand for a lot of office space in either city right now. Its been years since either city has seen a new office tower.
The most recent new office building in downtown Winston (that leaps to mind) is toward West End on 4th and Broad. Nice little 4 story building that provides nice infill. I see both cities growing like that. Again, I don't know why local govt would incentivize vertical growth when so much surface area still exists in both cities.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
The most recent new office building in downtown Winston (that leaps to mind) is toward West End on 4th and Broad. Nice little 4 story building that provides nice infill. I see both cities growing like that. Again, I don't know why local govt would incentivize vertical growth when so much surface area still exists in both cities.
So we can have some trees?

Old 08-31-2014, 10:41 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
So we can have some trees?
You can definitely still have trees and office towers.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2260...vw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Old 08-31-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You can definitely still have trees and office towers.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2260...vw!2e0!6m1!1e1
<snort> Those aren't trees, more like twigs. I'm talking about old growth, big ass trees that make you grumble and curse during raking season. Not little saplings that you can pack the fall foliage in a sandwich bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point