Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 5,297 times

Advertisements

I am an original native of North Carolina wondering where could I get a job because everything seems so hard being a Felon and young. When I know that some may think that just because of that, I would do the same thing repeatedly over again and to be judged also hardly trusted by any establishment without giving any chance. But I know myself of my consequences and what came behind the things that would happen if I was caught. Now I am 22 soon to be 23 the incident happened when I was 17. I am in school majoring in Business doing all the right things and an opportunity still hasn't arrived. The Temp services I've been to some and I was told it would be 7 years before I could get a job threw them and filling apps I only get the reply well call you if a job comes available that meets your criteria and the job maybe a dishwasher now what does that leave me to do because to live everything involves money to have fun, to shop, to eat,to wash. Just lost so an help will be appreciated and I also read someone else's post about the IRC which I understand fully about credibility which was also good thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 06:44 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceo Clark View Post
...everything seems so hard being a Felon and young.
Being young and unqualified for anything in particular is the larger issue.
The conviction is almost immaterial.

Quote:
I am in school majoring in Business doing all the right things...
The Temp services I've been to some and I was told it would be 7 years
before I could get a job (through) them ---because of their client/contract deal
Cutting to the chase... you need to get FACE TO FACE with the decision maker.
In person at small shops & businesses NEAR YOUR HOME.
Maybe by way of personal introduction too.

1) Don't fill out any applications. They won't help.

2) Prepare a "business card" with your name and contact information.
Show what hours of what days you DON'T have class/commute conflict.
iow... the 18 or so hours of each day when you ARE available.

3) Walk into EVERY business near and on the bus line nearest your home.
Identify who the real boss/owner is (ask if needed).

4) "Hi. I'm, Maceo. I live right down the road near _______ .
I'm looking for a job and maybe to learn something too.
When you're ready to hire someone... please remember me."

Then hand them one of your cards.

5) REPEAT this entire exercise and at the SAME businesses every few days.
Someone will remember you.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:32 AM

12 posts, read 12,809 times
I agree w/ MrRational...face to face , hitting the pavement, a firm handshake & looking folks in the eye. Keeping track of names, followup when you say you will, etc. Make certain you look "professional". If you have to wash dishes, do it! Mow lawns, go for it! If you're in school, utilize professors, job coaches, library, etc.; anything to help you network & get out there to meet the "right" people. Perhaps to should cut back on the "having fun" & "going out"? Hoping your choices of people in your inner circle have evolved as you are evolving. According to the lame temp services, you only have just over one year remaining until you can get a job through them.....don't wait! Try another avene. Also, perhaps a church or volunteer organization. I know you won't get paid, but again, it's all about networking until you meet someone who will give you a chance to prove yourself. Talk to everyone you meet......BTW, if you're short on $, don't eat out every day. Hoping you're on a meal plan at school, but if not, do some grocery shopping....cheaper in the long run. Best of luck Maceo.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:35 AM

....and if you ever have any more court dates, be sure to show up & be accountable

Old 09-27-2014, 11:37 AM

149 posts, read 250,700 times
Most of the colleges in the triad have a lot of jobs for students. Most of the jobs are for students only. This is a great advantage for someone with your background. Most colleges have an office for on-campus employment of students.
The jobs range from washing dishes, being a research assistant, to sitting behind an information desk. You would probably qualify for special work study programs that most college have. IF you don't know where to start looking...check with the campus human resources, or career center. Ask questions...they will direct you to the right place.

Being in college gives you an opportunity for this class of jobs, and your criminal record won't hold you back. Having a successful work record with references will be key when you graduate.

Quick check...shows a dozen jobs at A&T
at Guilford college 17 jobs-students only
At UNCG you need student log on to view all of them...but I found some in the library and elliot center without logging.

For you college presents a great opportunity to gain employment...look/ask/take any job good luck!!!

Old 09-27-2014, 02:05 PM

Top Companies HiringYour Rights NEW Seasonal JobsResume Templates Best Companies to Work ForEntry-Level Jobs View All Articles

Here's Who's Hiring Seasonal Workers for the Holidays

We've been covering job outlook for the holiday season over the past couple of weeks--and if you're in the market for some seasonal work, things are definitely looking up. Overall, companies plan to add more than 800,000 jobs by December, with some more than doubling their workforce. That figure means that 2014 is set to be the strongest year for seasonal hiring since 1999.

As a service to jobseekers, we've collected all of the companies that have announced hiring pushes here, with key information and links to their hiring sites. We'll be updating this page as more companies gear up for the holiday rush, so keep this one in your bookmarks and check back often. Happy hunting!

1. UPS: 90,000 - 95,000 hires planned

Known by its large brown delivery trucks, United Parcel Service delivers over 15 million packages per day. The company employs approximately 350,000 in the United States; their seasonal hiring plans will nearly double their holiday workforce.

Employee Review: "The people are great, the pay is fair, and the benefits were good. Most managers really cared about their staff."*

> Apply for a job with UPS

2. Macy's: 83,000 hires planned

Macy's is the largest department store company in the United States in terms of retail sales. Specializing in clothing, accessories, and beauty products, it currently employees about 180,000 workers in the U.S. It plans to hire seasonal workers at around the same rate as in 2013.

Employee Review: "I worked the holiday season, the employee discount in combination with the seasonal discounts were a great perk. Everyone worked as a team. This company has a solid identity and a huge commitment to customers."*

> Apply for a job with Macy's

3. Target: 70,000 hires planned

American retailer Target operates 1,916 stores in the United States. With revenue of nearly $73 billion in 2013, it trails only Walmart in the discount retail market. Target plans to match last year's seasonal hiring figures.

Employee Review: "It's a great place to work. As a manager, I've been able to influence our store culture directly. My new boss is awesome!"*

> Apply for a job with Target

4. Kohl's: 67,000 hires planned

Kohl's is an American retail chain that was founded in 1946. With 1,158 stores in 49 states, it is the second-largest department store chain in the United States in terms of sales. Many of its holiday positions will be at distribution centers, although the company also plans to hire an average of 50 associates per store.

Employee Review: "Very flexible on scheduling, work around school or other jobs. Best to be full time, but you get decent hours if you prove you are capable, reliable, and a hard worker."*

> Apply for a job with Kohl's

5. Walmart: 60,000 hires planned

Walmart is the largest discount retail chain in the United States. They plan to hire 10 percent more seasonal employees than they did in 2014, but will be giving priority to current workers interested in working additional hours during the holidays.

Employee Review: "Unless you're a college graduate, Wal-Mart's pay and benefits are equal if not better than most entry level jobs."*

> Apply for a job with Walmart

6. FedEx: 50,000 hires planned
FedEx is the nation's second-largest delivery service. In 2013, Forbes named it one of the 100 top companies to work for in the country; employees praise their solid benefits and work-life balance. Their hiring plans mark a 50 percent jump over last year's.

Employee Review: "Pay is not the greatest. Currently have a manager that understands work/life balance. Overall glad I am working here."*

> Apply for a job with FedEx

7. Toys "R" Us: 45,000 hires planned

Toy retailer Toys "R" Us will be hiring at store locations and distribution centers across the country. In a statement, the company said that last year, 20 percent of their seasonal hires stayed on through 2014. This year's hiring push will more than double the size of its workforce.

Employee Review: "Over all a good company with great store managers. Lots of fun getting to know the regulars and watching their kids grow."*

> Apply for a job with Toys "R" Us

8. JCPenney: 35,000 hires planned

Plano, Texas-based department store chain J.C. Penney's projections are in line with last year's seasonal hires. Founded in 1902, the company now operates over 1,000 stores across the U.S. On Glassdoor, employees mention a a high volume of work during the holiday season, but typically solid work-life balance.

Copied from AOL today. All seasonal....but if you can get your foot in the door, they may keep you on. Or....great for networking.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 5,297 times
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help and information I believe that it will truly be successful knowledge to get my foot in the door, but some of your methods I have tried and it actually worked. My approach is never to much because I usually get along with anybody people draw themselves to me but I have to delver. The advice though landed this guy a job not the best but it's a blessing and a start.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:12 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
2) Prepare a "business card" with your name and contact information.
Show what hours of what days you DON'T have class/commute conflict.
iow... the 18 or so hours of each day when you ARE available.

3) Walk into EVERY business near and on the bus line nearest your home.
Identify who the real boss/owner is (ask if needed).

4) "Hi. I'm, Maceo. I live right down the road near _______ .
I'm looking for a job and maybe to learn something too.
When you're ready to hire someone... please remember me."

Then hand them one of your cards.

5) REPEAT this entire exercise and at the SAME businesses every few days.
Someone will remember you.
My brother, a non-felon, but with a PhD, did this exact thing 34 years ago, except he went to community colleges in the counties around where he wanted to live (wife's hometown.)

Of course there were no openings but within a week of getting married, a job opened up, and the guy in charge remembered the young guy that came around with his card every two weeks.

He got the job and had an enormously successful career, having recently retired, sitting on a great nest egg.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point