Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,599 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Winston-Salem for a job opportunity. I understand W-S is great for families. Is it also somewhat of a college town? How great is it for single professionals?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 02:04 PM

9 posts, read 88,188 times
Hey there,

I've got the same question for myself as I'm single and considering residency at Wake Forest/ Baptist. Sometimes its hard to get a straight answer from people but the feeling I get is there are enough surrounding areas with singles (the Raliegh/Dur/CH area & Charlotte) including greensboro as well, that its probably not too bad....will keep you posted on what else I find out.
Also- if it makes a difference to you I'm a 27 y/o M....so, not sure whether that skews my opinion as compared to others. Take care and good luck!

Old 01-27-2008, 12:01 AM

903 posts, read 3,506,126 times
I am more familiar with Greensboro/High Point areas, but from what I know of W-S, there is a good mix of singles/families/colleges, etc. A very diverse city, IMHO.

With the medical school(s) there, and Wake Forest U in the area, you will find several college students in the area. Frankly, I think the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, as well as Charlotte, are a bit far to travel for nightlife, entertainment, etc. for a single person. Either metro area can easily be an hour's drive (or more, depending on your timing) one way; something very realistic to keep in mind. Particularly with gas prices in mind!

Greensboro is another town/city with several colleges... UNCG, NC A&T, Greensboro College, Guilford College, are the biggest ones that come to mind. Not to mention the community colleges. And High Point has a few campuses as well... although I can't recall the name of any except High Point Univ.

I would say if you post a few more specifics about your likes/dislikes, you may find more helpful responses. Good luck with your decision and move!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:24 PM

321 posts, read 532,195 times
Single professionals in W-S, I don't know, but I am one. Starting to make an effort to figure it out myself. There's an enormous amount of medicine in W-S. Can't remember if RJR Tobacco is still employing lots of people or not; historically, that was important to the town. I'm actually a re-transplanted native. I wasn't born here, but I spent my teenage years here, and a little time in Chapel Hill also. I'm back here at least for the moment because I've got family here. I'm a transplanted Seattle techie, and W-S is just not a hotbed for that as compared to Raleigh. W-S does have future visions of a "Triad Research Park" integrated with the downtown, but that seems to be something that's coming rather than something that's here yet. It doesn't really matter at present because I'm working a telecommuting gig and also on my own programming stuff. The arts community is pretty strong in W-S so I'm starting to view that as a way to meet people. Also I hang out at the dog park with my dog.

Greensboro is a half hour away from W-S. That's ok if you don't mind driving a lot to have a life. Personally, I do. Chapel Hill / Durham / Raleigh are way too far away to be bothering with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point