Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 04:11 PM

142 posts, read 242,533 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have an interview next week in Winston-Salem with Novant. I'll be staying for a few days to see the area and see if it feels like a good fit. I plan to check out the parks (I'm a jogger), grocery stores (I prefer local/organic, and I cook from scratch), and neighborhoods. Any advice? What restaurants should I try? What are the best neighborhoods where I can rent an apartment for about $800/mo?

I'm also concerned about fracking. I've heard it's going to start in NC soon. Can you tell me if this will be near WS, or its water supply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 08:49 PM

322 posts, read 667,220 times
Parks:
Hanes Park
Washington Park
Salem Creek Trail
Tanglewood

Neighborhoods:
Buena Vista
West Highlands
Ardmore
Washington Park
the West End

Restaurants:
Noble's Grill
Mozelles
Sixth & Vine
Sweet Potatoes
The Basil Leaf

Grocery:
Whole Foods
Trader Joes
The Golden Apple
Cobblestone Market
Ronnie's Country Store

There is no fracking anywhere near Winston-Salem nor in the watershead of the Yadkin River that supplies it's drinking water.

Good Luck.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:57 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,631,174 times
wsnc62 pretty well covered it. I hope you enjoy your visit. It's definitely a good idea to get as much a feel for a new city as possible before making a move.

We love the area, having moved to an area just south of Winston-Salem a little over 3 years ago.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:31 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,396,071 times
wsnc62 has made some great suggestions. I'll add just a few more:

Old Salem is sort of half-park, half-neighborhood. It's worth a look. The Strollway that passes through it connects you to downtown and would connect you to Salem Lake were it not for some construction that has a portion of the Salem Creek Greenway shut down.

For restaurants, I also like Mary's Gourmet Diner (fantastic breakfast food with a vibe you might like, based on your comments. It tilts local with vegetarian options), the Honey Pot (new american/southern with a constantly changing menu of largely local items and plenty of imagination), and Spring House (which has a lot in common with the Honey Pot).

And Cobblestone, which wsnc mentioned, is a farmers market that pops up in two locations: the Mary's Diner patio on Tuesdays and in Old Salem on Saturdays (9-12). https://www.facebook.com/CobblestoneFarmersMarket

And there's currently no fracking in Winston. Most of the fracking conversation in NC has a larger impact on the area closer to the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). However there is discussion of potential fracking sites around the Dan and Yadkin rivers in Rockingham, Stokes, Yadkin and Davie Counties, which are all in the vicinity of Forsyth County (home of Winston-Salem). This story includes a map of Triassic Rift Basins that are potential targets for fracking. There are a whole lot of "if"s standing between Winston and fracking, and even then it would have more impact on the surrounding areas than Winston/Forsyth, but I wanted you to have the full picture if this is a major issue for you. Fracking North Carolina: Why Now? | WUNC

Old 10-10-2014, 05:33 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,536,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Parks:
Hanes Park
Washington Park
Salem Creek Trail
Tanglewood

Good Luck.
Not to split hairs, but to make sure you locate the correct park, it's Salem Lake (not Creek). The trail around the lake itself is a wonderful 6.9 mi trail for biking and walking/running.

Here a link to Forsyth County Parks & Rec Dept.

Here's a website with a wealth of information about local greenways.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:35 PM

Wow, thanks for all the info. I'm checking out the links now. Fracking is of particular concern to me, and the triangle seems a little too close for comfort. I don't want to put down roots somewhere where the water and land will become toxic.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Not to split hairs, but to make sure you locate the correct park, it's Salem Lake (not Creek). The trail around the lake itself is a wonderful 6.9 mi trail for biking and walking/running.

Here a link to Forsyth County Parks & Rec Dept.

Here's a website with a wealth of information about local greenways.
There's a Salem Lake Trail and a Salem Creek Greenway. Both are great. Salem Creek connects Salem Lake to Washington Park and Old Salem (though it's not as useful at the moment since the stretch from WSSU to Old Salem is closed for road construction. It will reopen, though).

Old 10-12-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by October_Pumpkin View Post
Wow, thanks for all the info. I'm checking out the links now. Fracking is of particular concern to me, and the triangle seems a little too close for comfort. I don't want to put down roots somewhere where the water and land will become toxic.
It's up to you, but the Triangle is more than an hour east and (perhaps more importantly) downstream. But I understand that you have your priorities.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:34 AM

Well, I didn't get a job with Novant. Oh well. Winston-Salem is a lovely town, and you're all very lucky to get to live there.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,631,174 times
Sorry to hear, OP. Thanks for following up though. Perhaps something else will come up in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point