Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 05:04 PM

293 posts, read 784,222 times

Advertisements

The company I work for in CT is growing and my boss eventually wants to move the operations center I'm a part of to Florida. However, an opportunity may be coming up in the Greensboro area and he stated it's possible we might wind up there for 6-12 months.

Just had a few questions:

1. We presently pay about $1200/month for rent in CT, but would prefer to spend less when we move. Just my wife and two cats, so 2 bed/2 bath and 1-2 car garage would be ideal for a home rental. What should we expect pricewise?

2. Will renting month-to-month or under only a 6-month lease be possible or should we be expecting to get locked into a year-long agreement?

3. Any other transplants from the Northeast area? What did you find VERY different from living up here (lifestyle, costs, etc)

4. Would you recommend Greensboro or any other cities/towns in the area? We don't care about school systems or activities, we're mostly homebodies (although some nice nature trails to walk would be appreciated, and of course a safe area). Just looking for something that has access to a decent grocery store within 20 minutes (we generally go to Stop & Shop or WalMart up here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 AM

34,169 posts, read 83,282,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfromMA View Post
...an opportunity may be coming up in the Greensboro area ...for 6-12 months.
Just my wife and two cats, so 2 bed/2 bath and 1-2 car garage would be ideal...
Will renting month-to-month or under only a 6-month lease...
For a temporary job assignment (not an actual relocation) anything will be OK.
Focus on finding a place very near the job location.
Work out the rest from there.

Don't tell any prospective LL's you intend to leave in 6-12 mo's.
Most are willing to allow lease renewal on a M2M... but few want to start that way.

Look for sublets (furnished) and extended stay efficiencies.
Expect having two cats to complicate everything and add expense.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:40 AM

Thanks Mr Rational. I was checking out Realtor.com for rentals and found a 2 bed/2 bath/1 garage for $875/month, holy schnikes!

I won't want to move to Florida after!

Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,637,594 times
After living in NC for a while, then going to Florida, you'll want to move back to NC.

I grew up in NY state (but that was over 30 years ago) and have been in NC for 9 years after living out west. Had an opportunity to move to Orlando recently, but I couldn't find many reasons to make the move, especially considering the climate difference. To be fair to Florida, there are more desirable locations than Orlando, where my job would have been.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 AM

149 posts, read 251,274 times
Coming from the NE...of course you want a garage. You will find a lot of rentals and houses without garages here...But you don't need one. There will be snow a couple of times a year, but everything will probably be closed so you don't need to go out. There will be days where you have to scrape frost off your windshield...but a garage is not necessary.

For access to nature trails, and affordable housing, check out the area between Battleground and Lawndale. (especially in the vicinity of Country Day Park and points North)

Compared to the NE...it's cheaper...much lower property taxes. The weather is incredible...There will be sunny days in the 70's in January. When it gets cold..it's only for a short while. In the winter...everything is still clean. In the NE there are two winer colors...grey and brown...It's bright, sunny and clean even in the winter.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:06 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,637,594 times
For me, one adjustment was to S-L-O-W D-O-W-N. Pretty much everywhere - work, driving, eating, talking, etc.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
After living in NC for a while, then going to Florida, you'll want to move back to NC.

My wife and I actually would prefer to live in NC, it's kinda our dream. But for the time being I will be happy if we get the opportunity to just spend a little while there to get our first taste and then deal with Florida (right now the owner of my company is considering Tampa or West Palm Beach)

That's his ideal location, but I'm hoping as the company grows I may have an opportunity to telecommute from NC or take a position managing our interests in the NC region (should we snag it)

Old 10-15-2014, 05:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,435,862 times
I like Tampa. I like St. Pete better. City stuff near Gulf beaches.

But I like it here better! I grew up in Greensboro, lived all over, and I'm back. It's pleasant, and affordable. Traffic isn't. People are nice and neighborly. Godd luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point