Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 07:03 PM

10 posts, read 126,175 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Triad area from Long Island, NY. Our housing market is taking a hit but economically, anywhere is better than here right now!

We have friends in the Triad area and I've spent a lot of time on realtor.com but what I'd love to find is an older home (built before 1960) that is on more than 1 or 2 acres of land. Am I looking in the wrong area?

Our kids went and grew up while we weren't looking so while we aren't necessarily concerned about school districts, we're definitely not eager to go into any type of depressed areas or areas with higher than 'normal' crime rates.

It's hard to believe but true, we currently live on more than one acre, and I've gotten used to having plenty of space for our gardens, ponds, dogs, chickens... all that 'old' Long Island stuff!!

Thanks for any information you can share and best wishes for the New Year!

Patsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
Try the following sites they might help you find the type of home you are looking for
http://www.presnc.org/buyproperty/purchase_central.html (broken link)
http://www.historicproperties.com/index.asp
http://www.oldhouses.com/cf/search.cfm

Old 12-31-2007, 12:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,273,839 times
Check around Stokesdale, Summerfield, Stokes County, Surry County, North Davidson County, Mocksville, Davie County, Yadkin County, etc. You'll have better luck in counties outside of Guilford and Forsyth. Though you may do okay in western Forsyth.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 AM

525 posts, read 2,124,609 times
There are lots of older homes in the Guilford County area that are outside the city limits that may have what you are looking for. Let me know if I can help.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,130 times
I live in Lewisville which is just North of Winston-Salem. You should look in Clemmons, Pfafftown which are also nearby. Convinient to Hwy 421 & I 40. [mod] solicitation [/mod]

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-08-2008 at 10:33 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 12:30 PM

13 posts, read 84,468 times
Default Yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsyish View Post
Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Triad area from Long Island, NY. Our housing market is taking a hit but economically, anywhere is better than here right now!

We have friends in the Triad area and I've spent a lot of time on realtor.com but what I'd love to find is an older home (built before 1960) that is on more than 1 or 2 acres of land. Am I looking in the wrong area?

Our kids went and grew up while we weren't looking so while we aren't necessarily concerned about school districts, we're definitely not eager to go into any type of depressed areas or areas with higher than 'normal' crime rates.

It's hard to believe but true, we currently live on more than one acre, and I've gotten used to having plenty of space for our gardens, ponds, dogs, chickens... all that 'old' Long Island stuff!!

Thanks for any information you can share and best wishes for the New Year!

Patsy
We don't have an older home; we built new. (Well, OK, that was 17 years ago--maybe it's getting a tad older now.)

We paid $1500 an acre for our land. It's densely wooded with a wintertime view of the Sauratown Mountains (foothills of the Blue Ridge).

We love it!

Of course, prices are higher now, but, if you're selling a Long Island home, you should be able to do just fine down here. And yes, there are older homes available with land. In fact, there's one near us that goes on the market every few years or so (last time because the owner was transferred). When we first moved here, it was "Pardue's Rabbit Ranch," LOL...it has been through several hands since. Very old but well kept, and he property is gorgeous....

If you wouldn't mind living north of Winston (where the best prices are; that's where we live), I can give you the name of a good-ole-boy realtor who specializes in rural properties; he was the only one who understood what we wanted and found us exactly what we were looking for. (We moved here from Vermont, and we wanted something as Vermont-like as possible!) Just PM or e-mail me and I'll give you the info.

Cheers,

Diane, another transplant
diane_kamer@yahoo.com

Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM

13 posts, read 84,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Check around Stokesdale, Summerfield, Stokes County, Surry County, North Davidson County, Mocksville, Davie County, Yadkin County, etc. You'll have better luck in counties outside of Guilford and Forsyth. Though you may do okay in western Forsyth.
I second this! (I'm in Stokes County.)

A friend of mine in Surry County got 50 acres for $600 per acre!

Stokes and Surry are really counnnntry, but the prices can't be beat, and the properties are gorgeous. You'll be close to the mountains, too!

Last edited by dianeski; 01-09-2008 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 PM

31 posts, read 90,611 times
x-Long Islander living in Mebane now. Lots of land, close enough to UNC and Duke and Triangle. Do your "due diligence" here (NC is "buyer beware" state). Research everything about the houses. Pre-70's or post 90's are safest I think. We did Manhattan and So Cal and are very happy here. Key is to slow yourself down and relax and get to know the wonderful people here. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point