Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 05:52 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
It's not about whether or not gay people exist but whether his approach was the right one given the age of the children involved. He should have known this might blow up in his face & some opposition might come from parents as well as upper level administrators .
He may have known it...we don't know. We need more teachers like him though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Jesus had two fathers, he turned out OK!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:27 AM

31 posts, read 42,033 times
To the OP - if you move to the near west and north of the downtown area of Greensboro, you will not have many issues of close-mindedness.
My children went to an Art based preschool with several same sex couples as parents and mixed race marriages and there were never any problems. Personally, I have a 3rd grader and wouldn't have objected to have this book read to him. Kids know at that age whether they like boys or girls.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:55 AM

71 posts, read 95,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Agreed. There was probably a better way to make his point. Reading a book about homosexuality to third-graders is waving a red flag in the faces of many parents.
A better way? Heaven forbid he read a children's book to children about the subject.

Homosexuality is not and should not be a PG-13 subject. This isn't about sex, it's about how people are wired and the different relationships that exist in the real world. There is no red flag to be waved.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinperna View Post
I recently read an article (http://bit.ly/1MPUGG3) stating that an elementary school teacher was forced to resign after reading a book called "King & King". He read it to his class to teach about diversity and tolerance after a student came to him crying, saying another child had called him "gay" in a derogatory way and said he was acting like a girl. In the book, two princes fall in love and get married in a royal wedding.

Many parents were outraged over his reading this book to their children and some lashed out against him with hate-filled letters and e-mails. This shows where the bullying came from.

This took place in Efland and I am concerned because I have been considering relocating to Greensboro with my family, including school-aged children. If these bigoted attitudes are commonplace for the region, perhaps I should look elsewhere. Please tell me these are just the opinions of a few small-minded people.
I don't know if it is common or not but I hope it is. Teachers have no right to teach impressionable children that something the Bible says is wrong, is right. Teachers aren't allowed to teach the Bible so they certainly shouldn't be allowed to teach against what the Bible says.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:55 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't know if it is common or not but I hope it is. Teachers have no right to teach impressionable children that something the Bible says is wrong, is right. Teachers aren't allowed to teach the Bible so they certainly shouldn't be allowed to teach against what the Bible says.
Then teachers should also teach young children that shrimp is to be avoided.

OP: This won't be a big issue for you in the larger cities in NC, including most of Greensboro (or Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, DEFINITELY not Asheville, etc.) Like most smaller towns and rural areas in a lot of the country, you'll be more likely to encounter more conservative and/or provincial attitudes in small NC towns.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:15 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
The community rallied around him. He got the book from the assistant principal. Three parents were upset and raised a big stink, but most parents were very supportive of him. He chose to resign as did the assistant principal. Appeals Over Use of King & King in 3rd-Grade Class Dropped

Old 06-26-2015, 05:59 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,086 times
I can see both sides of the coin. As a pro gay advocate who supports marriage equality and has friends in the lgbt community, I can understand that not everyone is going to be as open about this as myself. I feel like a lot of parents want to be the ones to talk to their children about these subjects. I feel like it may have been better received if he had sent a consent to the parents, stating it is ok to do so, same as they do with other "controversial" books. If it were my child I would not only be on board, but I would volunteer to co-lead the class.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:32 PM

21 posts, read 18,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyblue View Post
A better way? Heaven forbid he read a children's book to children about the subject.

Homosexuality is not and should not be a PG-13 subject. This isn't about sex, it's about how people are wired and the different relationships that exist in the real world. There is no red flag to be waved.
Yeah, it is all about sex. That is what differentiates homosSEXuals. It is not the normal love between close friends of the same gender that makes one a homosexual. It is the sexual desire for someone of the same gender that does.

Sorry, but people aren't "wired" differently at birth. Why in the heck would Nature "wire" a creature to not reproduce?

Old 07-02-2015, 02:35 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,384,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PingMan View Post
Yeah, it is all about sex. That is what differentiates homosSEXuals. It is not the normal love between close friends of the same gender that makes one a homosexual. It is the sexual desire for someone of the same gender that does.

Sorry, but people aren't "wired" differently at birth. Why in the heck would Nature "wire" a creature to not reproduce?
When did you choose to be heterosexual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point