Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times

Advertisements

Hello, first time poster here.
Seems to be an awful lot of homes for sale in Stokesdale. Is there something going on or about to happen that will make that area undesirable. The prices seem to be a little lower than Summerfield which is just down the road a piece. We sure hate to move to NC and find out we picked the wrong town to retire in. We have not bought yet, just browsing.

Thanks,
P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:18 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Hello, first time poster here.
Seems to be an awful lot of homes for sale in Stokesdale. Is there something going on or about to happen that will make that area undesirable. The prices seem to be a little lower than Summerfield which is just down the road a piece. We sure hate to move to NC and find out we picked the wrong town to retire in. We have not bought yet, just browsing.

Thanks,
P
Ok Stokesdale is just north of Oak Ridge- that area has been going up up up in price for a while, because of the Northwest schools and its location, so the builders have all jumped in. Because of that, there are a ton of homes being built or built in the OR/Stokesdale area. More than Summerfield. So then we have the sub-prime mortgage mess recently, which means not only are people in low price ranges not buying, but people in the OR/Stokesdale price ranges (really 400k and up) are not buying either because of nervousness about the economy and the stock market. So we have a ton of builders sitting on homes twice as long as before. so they are dropping prices and throwing amenities at you. I recently had a builder make serious changes to a home for my buyers costing thousands of dollars AND take $15,000 off list price. So they are getting, shall we say, MOTIVATED. So now's the time to buy in that area. Especially since this time of year is slow (til spring when it picks up).

So if you are looking to move, now would be the time to pick something up super cheap. Or at least get free furniture or something out of it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
m

Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM

61 posts, read 240,727 times
Just curious where in Central Jersey are you? I live about 8 miles east of Stokesdale in neighboring Rockingham County. I am a Hunterdon County (Readington Twp.) native.

Last edited by nj2nc-2005; 01-23-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 PM

12 posts, read 52,711 times
Default stokesdale/oakidge

I'm from central jersey also, Edison. Family moved down from New York to oakridge to a new devlopement buy 68/150 and love it. Growing area.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 AM

Welcome to the South, guys. I have friends all over jersey- Princeton, Teaneck, sw jersey (around New Hope, PA and Seargeantsville, that area) and have visited many times. It's a beautiful place and gets a bad rap. As Kevin Smith once said, never underestimate the drawing power of the Garden State.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Thanks for all the responses.
We are NJ natives retired and like a lot of NJ people caught up in the high property tax delema.
We live in Bridgewater, NJ and have visited the Greensboro area a few times and we do like the Stokesdale, Oak Ridge, Summerfield locations.
Looking to trade in our snow blower for a new lawnmower.

Thanks again.

PDD

Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses.
We are NJ natives retired and like a lot of NJ people caught up in the high property tax delema.
C'mon down! We are former Jersey natives (Brick and Wall Twp's) and we left NJ in 1990 through a job relo. Had stops in VA and MD before coming to Charlotte. NJ's nice, but its got nothing on the area down here. Hope you enjoy the Stokesdale area. We'd like to map a retirement to the neighboring Rockingham County area (albeit in a few more years!).

Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 14,821 times
Hey, PDD! My husband and I up and moved to Stokesdale from Indiana last summer, and I can tell you firsthand it is a wonderful little town. I could gush all day about the quality of life here. But it is that...a small town. We're close to Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and a lot in between. There doesn't seem to be much crime--an occasional theft or vandalism. The area does seem to be growing, and along with it, the price of real estate. Being in Guilford County, property taxes are significantly higher than in neighboring counties. Rockingham County, just a mile north of Stokesdale, is much lower in that respect.

If you move here, I hope you enjoy the southern charm as much as we do!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Looking to trade in our snow blower for a new lawnmower.
Leave the snowblower in Jersey, cause you will never need it. Even if it does snow enough for you to use it (like in 2000 when we got 14 inches) everything will be closed so you will have no where to go, and it will melt by the time you get the blower out of the garage.

Now a leaf blower... that's something you will need.

Come on down!

Old 11-22-2009, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,738 times
Hello PDD! My husband and I are relocating to the Greensboro area in a couple of months for a job. I'm just wondering if you decided on a home in that Summerfield/Stokesdale area and what you think now that you may be settled in a bit. Any input at all about housing in this area from any of you kind folks would be appreciated!! Also, we have five dogs...what is the limit you're allowed living in Greensboro proper versus Guildford county (Summerfield/Oak Ridge?Stokesdale?) Thank you so much for any help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point