Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 13,283 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just joined the forum. My wife and I have questions regarding High Point. A couple that we know lived there for 5 years but moved back to Ohio a few years ago due to family matters but loved the area and would move back in a second if circumstances allowed. We are considering a move in the next few years, we still have elderly parents to care for as well. Our mortgate is paid off the end of next year so we thought it would be smart to buy a piece of property (land/lot) now and basically have it paid off by the time we are ready to move. Our questions regard the climate and job market (just basic, probably part-time work to cover some health benefits) and cost of living. We detest winter and having lived in Ohio our whole lives we've had enough snow and ice up to our rearends. We don't want to do Florida, too humid in the summer, we have family in Arizona that offered to sell us a lot they own but we don't like looking at brown, drab sand and even they admit that 140 degrees and no humid makes little difference, that is still hot as heck. Any comments or advice would be appreciated regarding the High Point area. Our friends suggested Greensboro also but someone I know that lives closer to the coast says traffic in Greensboro is horrendous and if we are retiring somewhere we don't want to deal with that kind of traffic. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 07:58 AM

463 posts, read 1,651,430 times
Default High Point

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-200-alex.html

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Above is one of several previous threads about High Point. Cut between the bracketed urls and paste into your browser. You can find others by using the forum search feature at the top of the screen. Re: your friend's comment about Greensboro traffic - I can see how it would seem bad to someone who lives in a small area near the coast, but other than Wendover Avenue, I don't think Greensboro's traffic is that bad at this point. I guess its all relative. We have friends from Cleveland who live in High Point who also love it but it's not the place for me.

Best wishes!

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Hi all, just joined the forum. My wife and I have questions regarding High Point. A couple that we know lived there for 5 years but moved back to Ohio a few years ago due to family matters but loved the area and would move back in a second if circumstances allowed. We are considering a move in the next few years, we still have elderly parents to care for as well. Our mortgate is paid off the end of next year so we thought it would be smart to buy a piece of property (land/lot) now and basically have it paid off by the time we are ready to move. Our questions regard the climate and job market (just basic, probably part-time work to cover some health benefits) and cost of living. We detest winter and having lived in Ohio our whole lives we've had enough snow and ice up to our rearends. We don't want to do Florida, too humid in the summer, we have family in Arizona that offered to sell us a lot they own but we don't like looking at brown, drab sand and even they admit that 140 degrees and no humid makes little difference, that is still hot as heck. Any comments or advice would be appreciated regarding the High Point area. Our friends suggested Greensboro also but someone I know that lives closer to the coast says traffic in Greensboro is horrendous and if we are retiring somewhere we don't want to deal with that kind of traffic. Thanks!

Last edited by Cassie; 11-29-2006 at 08:08 AM..

Old 11-29-2006, 08:08 AM

Default thanks!

Thanks cassie. I did a search and pulled up so many hits that I kind of gave up for the time being. I waded thru 5-6 pages and didn't find a lot of useful info. What you sent me was useful. What do you think about the Concord area, near Charlotte. I'm reading some good things about it. What we are looking for is something basically on the outskirts of an area, so we would not be looking at right in town of HP or Concord but the area. We live in the country now on 5 acres and would likely want to get something like an acre or two, don't want 5 again, too much to keep up with.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:35 AM

127 posts, read 600,249 times
Default Greensboro traffic isn't that bad

Quote:
Traffic in Greensboro isn't that bad, but then again, I came from Los Angeles. There are a few places that get congested somtimes, but it's by no means a traffic nightmare.

IMHO, most of High Point is kinda ghetto (I work in High Point). It's probably not the place for you unless you get something outside the city. NW of Greensboro has some really nice places. It DOES get humid here tho.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:22 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Quote:
Thanks cassie. I did a search and pulled up so many hits that I kind of gave up for the time being. I waded thru 5-6 pages and didn't find a lot of useful info. What you sent me was useful. What do you think about the Concord area, near Charlotte. I'm reading some good things about it. What we are looking for is something basically on the outskirts of an area, so we would not be looking at right in town of HP or Concord but the area. We live in the country now on 5 acres and would likely want to get something like an acre or two, don't want 5 again, too much to keep up with.
I would DEFINATELY recommend Concord. We love it here. The schools are great, homes in all price ranges, it's safe, LOTS of shopping and dining, and easy freeway access to everything Charlotte has to offer.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I would DEFINATELY recommend Concord. We love it here. The schools are great, homes in all price ranges, it's safe, LOTS of shopping and dining, and easy freeway access to everything Charlotte has to offer.
Thanks friendnc. We will likely do a trip to check out a few areas sometime in the future and Concord is definitely at or near the top of the list. A friend of mine that I used to work with here in Columbus now works in Goldsboro but is getting transferred to Charlotte in February and is getting a place in Huntersville and he really likes that area and has suggested Concord as a good choice. I'm kinda getting tired of his e-mails harassing some of us up here about the wonderful weather, especially when we are up to our eyeballs in snow

Old 12-02-2006, 01:19 PM

11 posts, read 57,505 times
Quote:
Traffic in Greensboro is not all that bad at all. Even though housing is cheaper in High Point, it is so boooring. I agree with your friend that you'd probably like Greensboro better.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:26 PM

11 posts, read 57,505 times
[quote=liveInNC;182952]Traffic in Greensboro isn't that bad, but then again, I came from Los Angeles. There are a few places that get congested somtimes, but it's by no means a traffic nightmare.

Quote:
IMHO, most of High Point is kinda ghetto
Ghetto Strong description don't you think. I would say that there is more poverty than the surrounding areas because of the down falls of the furniture industry, but there are plenty of nice areas in High Point. I wouldn't want to live in High Point because it is boring and nothing to do but have certainly seen worse places.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:12 AM

127 posts, read 600,249 times
[quote=kgkarma;188781]
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
Traffic in Greensboro isn't that bad, but then again, I came from Los Angeles. There are a few places that get congested somtimes, but it's by no means a traffic nightmare.

Ghetto Strong description don't you think. I would say that there is more poverty than the surrounding areas because of the down falls of the furniture industry, but there are plenty of nice areas in High Point. I wouldn't want to live in High Point because it is boring and nothing to do but have certainly seen worse places.
Didn't I say "kinda" ghetto? I'm constantly asked by strangers for "money for the bus". Much of High Point is run-down and a rather dismal place. yeah, there are nicer parts, but as a whole the citiy itself is rather undesireable.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,379 times
There is ghetto anywhere you live but High Point is an awesome city and I have lived here for some time now. The north end is very nice and I guess if you were asked for money for a bus then you were nowhere near the northend. There are great churches and good down to earth people in High Point and I would not live anywhere else. High Point is also cheaper to live than Concord but Concord is nice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point