Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:38 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Nobody said anything about day to day functions. But here's an example: High Point Rd- The once crown jewel area slid into despair while the city focused on other areas. With the addition of attractions at the coliseum the City finally started to pay attention to that area again.
That's just part of the natural evolution of cities; every city has (an) area(s) that used to be "hot" but market trends affect development patterns. Again, just because the city is fine-tuning its approach to economic development doesn't mean it is suddenly incapable of multitasking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 06:40 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Here's the most important piece of information in the linked article:

"But no money has been earmarked toward the endeavor and there is no time frame for its implementation."

In other words, this means virtually nothing. This board has an amazing tendency to blow a nothing event into the greatest. thing. ever!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:57 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Here's the most important piece of information in the linked article:

"But no money has been earmarked toward the endeavor and there is no time frame for its implementation."

In other words, this means virtually nothing. This board has an amazing tendency to blow a nothing event into the greatest. thing. ever!
Nice point. I didn't get to read the article unless I subscribe. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the publications I already get.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's just part of the natural evolution of cities; every city has (an) area(s) that used to be "hot" but market trends affect development patterns. Again, just because the city is fine-tuning its approach to economic development doesn't mean it is suddenly incapable of multitasking.
If they were capable of multi-tasking areas described wouldn't happen. It was the same story with downtown.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:20 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
If they were capable of multi-tasking areas described wouldn't happen. It was the same story with downtown.
Huh???? This happens in EVERY city, even the most well-run cities. Market trends affect development patterns and cities respond in kind. This is 101 level stuff.

Again, the city's strategy for laying the groundwork for economic development has little to nothing to do with fulfilling its basic obligations as a municipality. I honestly don't know how else to spell this out.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:25 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
that huge 4 or 5 story Bank of America center in northern High Point at the edge of Greensboro was a wasted opportunity. The amount of office space in that building could have easily filled a 20-story plus building in downtown Greensboro.
It's unlikely BOA would be searching for high dollar downtown real estate for operations involving its rank and file employees like a call center. I get your point about having lots of people to make downtowns vibrant, but that's not necessarily going to be the highest priority of the bank as a business decision, particularly one that's not even based in Greensboro.

Quote:
Nobody said anything about day to day functions. But here's an example: High Point Rd- The once crown jewel area slid into despair while the city focused on other areas. With the addition of attractions at the coliseum the City finally started to pay attention to that area again.
Yes, High Point Road (now Gate City Boulevard) has seen its ups and downs over the years. One thing going for it is the eclectic mix of international businesses similar to parts of West Market Street. They aren't exactly presented in an appealing way and Greensboro doesn't have the advantage of established neighborhoods that older cities have (i.e. no Little Italy neighborhood, Chinatown neighborhood, etc.), but if that diversity of businesses could somehow be capitalized on, it presents an appealing alternative to the mindlessness of a corridor like West Wendover Avenue, which is where many of the big chain businesses formerly along Gate City Boulevard shifted to in the last couple of decades.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:00 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,055,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It's unlikely BOA would be searching for high dollar downtown real estate for operations involving its rank and file employees like a call center. I get your point about having lots of people to make downtowns vibrant, but that's not necessarily going to be the highest priority of the bank as a business decision, particularly one that's not even based in Greensboro.

Heck, even BB&T which is based here, puts their call center folks in a four story office building out by the airport. Companies don't traditionally put rank and file employees in downtown office towers, but rather in suburban low/mid-rise buildings.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:12 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Greensboro is definitely on the move. Still not growing as fast as Charlotte and Raleigh but you can sense Greensboro is starting to get over the hump and is on the verge of greatness. It's Greensboro's turn to shine. Greensboro is also edging really close to a milestone and that's having a population of 300,000. The 2016 population estimate puts the Gate City at 285,342. In 2010 the population was 269,666. Greensboro gained 16,465 people in 6 years and that was after stricter annexation laws. If the population growth continues at that rate, Greensboro should reach 300,000 around 2022. By that time Greensboro's performing arts center will be two years old. Westin, Aloft and maybe project 561 will be a part of the downtown landscape. Speaking of which if Roy Carroll plays his cards right, he'll buy the rest of the county property project 561 would sit on all the way to Friendly Ave and build something that will compliment project 561 and Aloft. Maybe something that includes entertainment elements like an upscale bowling alley, sports bar and a live music venue.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-29-2016 at 09:03 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Huh???? This happens in EVERY city, even the most well-run cities. Market trends affect development patterns and cities respond in kind. This is 101 level stuff.

Again, the city's strategy for laying the groundwork for economic development has little to nothing to do with fulfilling its basic obligations as a municipality. I honestly don't know how else to spell this out.
Yep, and if they kept their eyes open it wouldn't happen or happen to the extent that it costs the money that it does to bring the areas from the brink. You don't get it, nor do I expect you will.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

Yes, High Point Road (now Gate City Boulevard) has seen its ups and downs over the years. One thing going for it is the eclectic mix of international businesses similar to parts of West Market Street. They aren't exactly presented in an appealing way and Greensboro doesn't have the advantage of established neighborhoods that older cities have (i.e. no Little Italy neighborhood, Chinatown neighborhood, etc.), but if that diversity of businesses could somehow be capitalized on, it presents an appealing alternative to the mindlessness of a corridor like West Wendover Avenue, which is where many of the big chain businesses formerly along Gate City Boulevard shifted to in the last couple of decades.
I like that description.
IMO, it is due in part to a lack of immigration in the development years. There were many neighborhood stores back in the day, many still exist, but sprawl seemed to be the order of the day back then.
I have an aerial photo from 1930 of downtown. There were many homes downtown then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point