Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 PM

926 posts, read 828,850 times

Advertisements

I'd recommend Jamestown, it's a quaint suburb but can be a little hefty in prices. The W. Friendly Avenue area near the airport is one of the nice areas of Greensboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM

149 posts, read 250,700 times
Taxes...note that there are Greensboro City taxes and Guilford County taxes. If you live outside the city limits, then your tax bill is cut in half...Check out Oak Ridge or Summerfield. I'd check out neighborhoods off of Pleasant Ridge (start looking at intersection of Pleasant ridge and Flemming. (north of Pleasant ridge is outside city limits!) The Cardinal is a very large development, in city limits, but has many places in your price range.

Crime is Greensboro is mostly east and southeast. But West Market has started to have problem.

Make sure if you are locating near the airport you know the flight path. I'm under one, and it does not bother me, but some people don't like it.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:04 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booney56 View Post
Taxes...note that there are Greensboro City taxes and Guilford County taxes. If you live outside the city limits, then your tax bill is cut in half....
Not quite true. For 2016, Guilford County rate is $.7550/$100 valuation and Greensboro is $.6325. Each municipality has its own rate. What booney meant is that if your property is inside the corporate boundaries of a municipality, you pay county & municipal property taxes. If your property is in an unincorporated part of the county, you pay county only taxes.

Here is the latest chart of tax rates in Guilford County. http://www.myguilford.com/wp-content...-2016-2006.pdf It's a link inside the link I posted the other day.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,422 times
I cannot thank everyone enough. for any and all info. I made sure to rate all of your responses for the help.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:44 PM

37 posts, read 48,120 times
I'm a long-time lurker on City-Data but had to log back on and reply to your post. When you wrote that you are "in a town in PA where corruption, crime and filth are the top 3 descriptions that come to mind", I knew you were talking about Scranton!

I grew up in the Wilkes-Barre area and lived in Clarks Summit while working in Scranton for several years. We relocated to NW Greensboro to be closer to my wife's family about 2 1/2 years ago. I can tell you that this has been a very positive move for us. Greensboro may not be as booming as Charlotte or the Triangle but it's worlds better than Northeast Pennsylvania. It's a largely blue collar town that still has plenty of industry and cultural/social vibrancy (unlike Scranton which has no industry or vibrancy). We're still finding new things to do and restaurants to try here and there are several cool areas to explore. People are genuinely nicer/friendlier here... to the point where I now appreciate how miserable everyone seemed to be in Scranton. It's definitely more "peaceful" here. And I don't miss all of the snow and perpetually grey skies!

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point