Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 6,181 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals!

My wife and I are looking to relocate out of New Jersey and we've settled on Greensboro, NC. From what we've seen, read and heard, it sounds like a great area! We're a young couple approaching our 30's and hope to find a nice, safe community to start our lives/family in.

I was hoping to hear from transplants as well as current residents that could speak to Greensboro as a whole.

- which areas are "safest"?
- how is the quality of life?
- is there much in the way of activities (both indoor and outdoor), shopping, etc?
- in your opinion would you recommend Greensboro, NC as a great location for an out-of-stater to settle?

we appreciate any and all insight you may have to offer! A few other things to note would be that I do have a job lined up already so finding work is not an issue (although finding a house will be), we're very outdoorsy people with a good number of pets.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,385,576 times
Here are some existing threads that may be of interest:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...out-triad.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...reensboro.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...reensboro.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...ing-triad.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...nsboro-nc.html

In general the west and northwest areas are the "nicest and safest". Exceptions do exist, of course. Your other questions are extremely subjective, and therefor difficult, if not impossible to answer. Greensboro is very much a "family" town, not real exciting, but overall safe, quiet and good place to raise children. Is it a "great" location for you? I can't say...I'd recommend you come spend a few days checking it out and seeing if you could imagine yourself living there.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:52 AM

We do intend on coming to stay for a weekend very soon to get the lay of the land and to check out some areas.

Thank you so much for the response and the helpful links, Dawg!

Old 03-19-2015, 07:57 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,385,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpeace View Post
We do intend on coming to stay for a weekend very soon to get the lay of the land and to check out some areas.

Great! If you have any specific questions before or after your visit please post them.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:

How have you decided to move somewhere you've never actually been in person?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Great! If you have any specific questions before or after your visit please post them.
will do. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
How have you decided to move somewhere you've never actually been in person?
Well yes and no. We've not been to Greensboro specifically yet. We're familiar with the area, have visited several parts of North Carolina in the past, including the other members of the Triad and my wife and I have discussed leaving NJ for the north-central region of NC numerous times. Now that I have the opportunity to relocate for work in Greensboro, we're considering it much more heavily. Through different articles and weblinks we got the feeling that Greensboro is an up and coming (or nearly arrived) city with much to offer. Which is what brought me to peruse this site to get a feel for how others enjoy living there. Though, like Carolinadawg said in her earlier response, much of the information I asked was subjective and I understand that completely. But opinions never hurt and in their own way offer insight from different perspectives. Ultimately we'll make our judgment when we spend a few days there, I was simply looking to hear others thoughts and opinions.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:34 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,427,076 times
We're a little under the transplant radar, so there are no neighborhoods full of people from off.

Greensboro is a nice city that doesn't seem urban. I grew up here, left and came back. There are lots of activities, some good schools, lots of nice green space. My quality of life is great, but part of that is my own committment to making it that way.

Your best information will come from your own observations when you visit. If you need a realtor, message me. I know several that are very trustworthy.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:49 PM

55 posts, read 62,994 times
Quote:
Hey guys and gals!

My wife and I are looking to relocate out of New Jersey and we've settled on Greensboro, NC. From what we've seen, read and heard, it sounds like a great area! We're a young couple approaching our 30's and hope to find a nice, safe community to start our lives/family in.

I was hoping to hear from transplants as well as current residents that could speak to Greensboro as a whole.

- which areas are "safest"?
- how is the quality of life?
- is there much in the way of activities (both indoor and outdoor), shopping, etc?
- in your opinion would you recommend Greensboro, NC as a great location for an out-of-stater to settle?

we appreciate any and all insight you may have to offer! A few other things to note would be that I do have a job lined up already so finding work is not an issue (although finding a house will be), we're very outdoorsy people with a good number of pets.

Thanks!
This may be a long shot since post is over 2 years old but I wanted to know if you guys moved to Greensboro? If so, how are you adjusting it? My husband and I are the same situation you were and it's very nerve recking. We are moving New York.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:03 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess69 View Post
This may be a long shot since post is over 2 years old but I wanted to know if you guys moved to Greensboro? If so, how are you adjusting it? My husband and I are the same situation you were and it's very nerve recking. We are moving New York.
The last post from the OP on any thread on this forum is March 19, 2015, so yes, it's very much a long shot that they're still active on this forum at all.

But since you mention a similar situation that would be on topic, I'm just curious as to what has been nerve-racking about your experience if you don't mind sharing?

Old 04-29-2017, 06:58 PM

55 posts, read 62,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The last post from the OP on any thread on this forum is March 19, 2015, so yes, it's very much a long shot that they're still active on this forum at all.

But since you mention a similar situation that would be on topic, I'm just curious as to what has been nerve-racking about your experience if you don't mind sharing?

Hi Jowel

Yea you probably right.

I guess the whole move, I currently love in New York and Greensboro and New York
is like night and day. My husband is relocating for work and I don't know if we should buy or rent. I've live in an apt all my life, so looking for a house it overwhelming. Trying to figure out the best areas, and schools. My son will be a 10 grader when we move and I'm just so worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point