Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,721 times

Advertisements

Our family has the opportunity to relocate to Greensboro. My husband and I are age 40 with our children ages 6 and 2. We LOVE our current home and city but an amazing career opportunity has developed. Our budget is between $500K-$650K for a home. I have many questions about public schooling, how public schools are evaluated and residential neighborhoods that are safe and VERY family friendly. We would love to be in a community oriented neighborhood where neighbors are friendly and involved in their community. I see there are many man made lakes in the area and would like to hear your opinions of those locations. Also, I welcome feedback on what Greensboro residents love (or dislike) about their town and if any other residents have been happy with their relocation from Florida. Many thanks in advance and I appreciate those taking the time to reply with their thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,640,333 times
I would suggest the Oak Ridge area, for safe and family friendly, good schools, nice homes in your price range.

If you are open to being ~25 minutes from Greensboro, I would vote for the Meadowlands subdivision in northeast Davidson County. But I'm biased because we live there and love it.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:51 AM

58 posts, read 99,348 times
Based on your criteria and life stage here are the neighborhoods I would look at in this order:

Starmount Forest area (may consider joining the Starmount Country Club, it has a reputation for being family friendly)
Other neighborhoods around Friendly Center (including Sunset Hills)
Lake Jeanette area (e.g., Northern Shores)
Irving Park (though this may steer you toward charter/private school)

You might consider checking out the swim and tennis clubs as well, very family friendly--Green Valley Park, Lake Jeanette Swim and Tennis, Lawndale S&T, several others.

I have two young kids as well, we love the Greensboro Children's Museum, Greensboro Science Center and the many parks...Country Park, Lebauer Park, Lindley Park. Friendly Center and Downtown have some good restaurants (I particularly like Undercurrent, Crafted Art of the Taco, and Printworks). Good luck!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:46 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,511,421 times
Oak Ridge area definitely sounds like it would fit your criteria. Northwest schools are the best public schools in the area. Plenty of homes in Oak Ridge within your price range.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:03 PM

6,209 posts, read 4,675,533 times
Oak Ridge and the area of northern Davidson County Emelvee suggests are both very nice places but they're kind of removed from being directly in/beside Greensboro, depending on where within those areas you are looking. This is especially true for northern Davidson County, which is more closely tied to Winston-Salem and even High Point than it is Greensboro.

One of the biggest advantages of those areas (Oak Ridge, Northern Davidson County- such as the Meadowlands development) would be if you enjoy more acreage on the property or if you prefer a semi-rural/exurban feel.
One of the biggest disadvantages of those areas is that you will likely be doing much more driving from than if you picked the established neighborhoods within Greensboro that ta2010 mentions, which are pleasant places as well. And even within Greensboro, the areas don't have as dense of a feel as South Florida, at least to me. One reason is because of the heavily forested vegetation that you have in Greensboro and this part of the state.

It all depends on your preferences, the exact home and location that you pick, and the exact locations that you would need to get to (work, school, entertainment, social activities, etc.), but that would be the general rule.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-26-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 10:23 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,511,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Oak Ridge and the area of northern Davidson County Emelvee suggests are both very nice places but they're kind of removed from being directly in/beside Greensboro, depending on where within those areas you are looking. This is especially true for northern Davidson County, which is more closely tied to Winston-Salem and even High Point than it is Greensboro.

One of the biggest advantages of those areas (Oak Ridge, Northern Davidson County- such as the Meadowlands development) would be if you enjoy more acreage on the property or if you prefer a semi-rural/exurban feel.
One of the biggest disadvantages of those areas is that you will likely be doing much more driving from than if you picked the established neighborhoods within Greensboro that ta2010 mentions, which are pleasant places as well. And even within Greensboro, the areas don't have as dense of a feel as South Florida, at least to me. One reason is because of the heavily forested vegetation that you have in Greensboro and this part of the state.

It all depends on your preferences, the exact home and location that you pick, and the exact locations that you would need to get to (work, school, entertainment, social activities, etc.), but that would be the general rule.
I will say, since the new road construction, it's made driving a lot less of a headache from Oak Ridge. And I think there is going to be some retail growth around that area in the next few years as well. Oak Ridge is really going to become less rural than what it once was. There is talk of luxury apartments right off of 68 in front of the GTCC campus, and talk of some sort of Wal-Mart or grocery store next to that campus. I think in 10 years, you won't be able to recognize Oak Ridge.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:00 PM

76 posts, read 82,183 times
I grew up in Greensboro. If you want to live in the city proper I would recommend Sunset Hills (great park with stream and tennis courts), Starmount (great country club), Irving Park (another great country club/old money homes), Fisher Park (great park and walkable to downtown) and Hamilton Lakes (lakes and Friendly Center). These are the original older neighborhoods in Greensboro, are very family friendly, have sidewalks and established community organizations and events. Oak Ridge may be up and coming, but it's not Greensboro, imo. Enter 27401, 27403 and 27408 on Realtor.com for these neighborhoods. Grimsley and Page Senior High Schools are both great, as are there feeder schools. Go Whirlies!

Old 05-02-2018, 01:24 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,439,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall oaks View Post
I grew up in Greensboro. If you want to live in the city proper I would recommend Sunset Hills (great park with stream and tennis courts), Starmount (great country club), Irving Park (another great country club/old money homes), Fisher Park (great park and walkable to downtown) and Hamilton Lakes (lakes and Friendly Center). These are the original older neighborhoods in Greensboro, are very family friendly, have sidewalks and established community organizations and events. Oak Ridge may be up and coming, but it's not Greensboro, imo. Enter 27401, 27403 and 27408 on Realtor.com for these neighborhoods. Grimsley and Page Senior High Schools are both great, as are there feeder schools. Go Whirlies!
That's a good list. I would add Green Valley. Go Whirlies.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:32 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,431,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall oaks View Post
I have to disagree. Aycock Middle School is bad; Irving Park Elementary isn't much better. Page is far from "great".

Old 05-02-2018, 02:41 PM

34,194 posts, read 83,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soflofoodie View Post
My husband and I are age 40 with our children ages 6 and 2.
We LOVE our current home and city but an amazing career opportunity has developed.
Our family has the opportunity to relocate to Greensboro.

Our budget is between $500K-$650K for a home.
With that budget you can write your own ticket.

Quote:
I have many questions about public schooling, how public schools are evaluated
and residential neighborhoods that are safe and VERY family friendly.
How far are you willing to live from the city? and (or) consider the private schools?
Triad Private Schools Directory | Triad Moms on Main | Greensboro, Winston, Burlington, High Point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point